Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralÜberfireÜberfire
Previous

Next
New Post
9/16/2016 1:02 PM

I continue to be impressed with this product. It has worked extremely well in wet environments.  Dale Fruit invented this stuff a few years ago and since learning of it, Überfire has become part of my standard load-out for every single outing into the jungle, bush, mountain, or desert environments I've been traipsing around in. Good stuff. With fall just around the corner, do yourself a favor and buy some...you won't be sorry, especially if something crazy ever happens to you out in the backcountry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgEos...

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
9/16/2016 3:20 PM

How does it compare with Fastfire or just cotton balls and Vaseline?

Is TOPS the primary supplier for Uberfire? I almost got a couple tins a year ago but they didn't have the smaller 1oz (I think) in stock.

How do you get the burning tin out of the fire without spilling the contents if you want to reuse it?

When would you want one over the other? What separates them? Pluses or minuses to any of them?

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
9/16/2016 3:31 PM

strow wrote:
How does it compare with Fastfire or just cotton balls and Vaseline?

Is TOPS the primary supplier for Uberfire? I almost got a couple tins a year ago but they didn't have the smaller 1oz (I think) in stock.

How do you get the burning tin out of the fire without spilling the contents if you want to reuse it?

When would you want one over the other? What separates them? Pluses or minuses to any of them?

1) Fastfire is good, but Überfire burns hotter and longer.  Cottonballs and Vasoline are fine.....but if all of your fuel is wet....this stuff will keep going when cottonballs burn out.

2) Yes...TOPS is the only supplier, but I can always get in contact with the inventor to see about other ways to procure the smaller tins.

3) Best way is to wear gloves and then knock some of the Überfire out of the tin....it will keep going.  Then, extinguish the tin for later use...just stick a new small cottonball with Vasoline in the tin as the ignitor fuel.

4) I like both Überfire and Fastfire a helluva lot.....Fastfire is way lighter and smaller, but Überfire will work with the most damp of wood.  If I had to use just one thing and I didn't have any other fuel available....I would use a large tin of Überfire....it will burn for about 45 minutes all on its own.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
9/16/2016 3:44 PM

Looks legit! In the video he used what looked like a separate tinder to get the show rolling. Will Uberfire ignite directly with a spark?

New Post
9/16/2016 5:08 PM

Alpendrms,
If it was available would you prefer to stay with the 2oz. can or use a 1 oz. tin? It sounds like it can be used more than once if need be. I know there is a weight difference but don't know if they weight/cost warrant a smaller tin size for weight/convenience. Or pinching pennies and weight is negligible when you actually have to use it in the rain and need to dry out tinder for 15 min. before the fire gets going.

New Post
1/4/2017 1:26 PM

Elk Chaser60 wrote:
Alpendrms,
If it was available would you prefer to stay with the 2oz. can or use a 1 oz. tin? It sounds like it can be used more than once if need be. I know there is a weight difference but don't know if they weight/cost warrant a smaller tin size for weight/convenience. Or pinching pennies and weight is negligible when you actually have to use it in the rain and need to dry out tinder for 15 min. before the fire gets going.

Sorry....just happened upon this post....it must have gotten buried by other posts that came after it.  I think the 2oz is the way to go.  The 2oz version is a bit smaller than a Copenhagen tin, so not awfully bulky.  One tin can definitely be used more than once.  

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralÜberfireÜberfire