Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralWinter camping foodsWinter camping foods
Previous

Next
New Post
12/16/2016 11:51 AM

I've been thinking a lot about winter camping lately, and since the snow is falling pretty good around the country, I thought it might be good to get a thread going on everyone's favorite winter backpacking/snow camping foods.

Carrying and preparing foods in the winter is both a luxury and a curse for me. Of course, you've got readily available refrigeration, making it easy to carry some fresh foods that are OK to freeze, but on the other hand, you've got to put a lot of effort into making water for anything dehydrated. For those of us running wood stoves, you've got a great source of heat for both cooking and comfort- which makes some meals much easier to prepare.

I'll start off by saying some of my favorite meals that I have shared with people out winter camping have tended to be big pots of soup and chilli, prepared at home and transported to camp frozen, to be reheated/thawed in a big pot on the stove. There is a seafood store in Portland that sells pre-packaged salmon chowder, which you combine with cream and heat up, and when coupled with a nice loaf of sourdough bread makes for a really great dinner. 

Another staple is an ample supply of home made chocolate chip cookies, heated over the stove and enjoyed in the morning with coffee, and in the evening with hot chocolate. 

New Post
12/16/2016 12:51 PM

Summer sausage 

Cheese

Spam

Dehydrated Hashbrown Taters

When I went to Swiss Mountain School, we would shove a hunk of cheese, some kind of Swiss sausage, a hunk of dark bread, and a block of dark chocolate in our pockets, then maybe a thermos with hot tea.  We would go all day long climbing and skiing in the Alps with that.  A lot of energy & slow burning fuel to keep the engine running and the body warm.  Very simple and no cooking needed.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
12/16/2016 1:09 PM

I have developed a child like affection for hot Jello mix drunk as a liquid before it sets up. It's also a treatment for hypothermia, so I have to make sure I don't consume my emergency ration. I'll second the summer sausage and cheese, but I've not tried the dehydrated hashbrown taters. I'll have to give those a try. Thanks Alpendrms.

I can't abide SPAM.

This thread is making me hungry. We've been snowed in intermittently for the last 10 days or so, but I think this afternoon we're going to make a break for it. We intended to stock up on corn meal, gunpowder, ham hocks and guitar strings, but I'll have to add some summer sausage and hashbrowns to the list.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralWinter camping foodsWinter camping foods