Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralFNG checking inFNG checking in
Previous

Next
New Post
9/15/2016 11:40 AM

Greetings All,

I've been on the HPG coolaid for a while. Bought a Umlindi, Tara pocket and some stuff sacks a while back. Love em all. I couldn't get use to the kit bag right away. I sent it back but now I'm wondering if I gave it enough time to prove itself. I live in Colorado up in the Cripple Creek/Victor area just shy of 10k feet. Can't swing a dead cat up here without hitting a mine vehicle. Former Army 11B/C2 back in the eighties. I like to get out when I can but haven't done more than an overnight for quite a while. I'm hoping to change that. My plan for this year is to get out and spend some time in winter conditions. Probably go after small game and fur bearers this season. Coyote and especially fox are doing really well up here the last couple seasons. My guess it it's due to all the rain.

I was getting into the old 18th century gear and techniques for a while but have come to realize that at 48 and all beat up from the Army I like my Umlindi, MSS black bag and double nest hammock a lot better than the Duluth scout pack and a wool blanket. Not even going to talk about the Mountain House meals versus salt pork and hard tack.

Anyway, Just stopping by to introduce myself. I've been lurking a lot for the last few days and it seems there's a bunch of really knowledgeable folks contributing to the discussions. I'm hoping to keep learning and possibly contribute when I can. I'm in the market for more HPG stuff such as a UTE, Serape, Wind Cheater etc but I need to thin out some gear and sell a Kimber 1911 to finance it. Just changed over to G19's for CCW for myself and my wife.

Glad to be here,

Broadsword

New Post
9/16/2016 5:40 PM

Welcome to Team HPG!

I spent my share of time up in CC. How'd you dig all the HAs up there a few weeks ago?

Sorry to hear about the G19 though. ;-)

New Post
9/16/2016 6:58 PM

Broadsword wrote:.......sell a Kimber 1911 ........ Just changed over to G19's for CCW for myself and my wife.

Glad to be here,

Broadsword

One smart move after another.....welcome.  11B for awhile myself.  The "Manchus" at Ft. Wainwright.

New Post
9/16/2016 8:26 PM

11Banger for awhile too.

...and the G19, they are ok for some. Heck, my wife carries one. I even carried one once, when I wasn't given a choice.

New Post
9/18/2016 10:47 PM

Thanks fellas,
Main reason for changing over to the G19 is parts and ammo commonality with the wife. We have things down to where we only have to stock .556 (His and Her AR's) , .9mm (His and Her Glock 19's) and .308 for my M1A.
I was also worried about the learning curve she would have had to deal with carrying a 1911. Magazine capacity is never a bad thing either. I've had the Kimber on Arms list for almost two weeks now with only one lowball offer. I contacted a few guys selling ACOG's but none of them panned out. Ill probably post it here soon.
Broadsword

New Post
9/19/2016 9:05 PM

welcome! this a great community and the HPG is top notch all around

New Post
9/23/2016 3:33 PM

Keep your eyes peeled for information about our winter skills class sometime in February over in South Park. And... welcome!

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/29/2016 8:23 PM

I'm a new guy lurker as well. I'll use this opportunity to check in also. No Hill People Gear yet, aside from Scot's old .308 BLR, but I'm eyeing the Recon Kit Bag and maybe a stove if I think my Cabelas 6 Man can survive that sort of duty.

Been an airborne cook in the past, and was tied down with a dairy farm for a few years after that. Now I might be able to free enough time up to go shooting more often and ramble a little if the wife and kids can deal with it.

New Post
10/30/2016 9:48 PM

Welcome,
Seems to be quite a few real knowledgeable folks around here.
Broadsword

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralFNG checking inFNG checking in