Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralGoing for coyote and fox this winterGoing for coyote and fox this winter
Previous

Next
New Post
9/26/2016 1:51 PM

Hey guys,
I been out of the hunting scene for several years. My 21 year old son moved back to Colorado this year and while out at the lake for an overnight lately we got to talking about hunting small game this winter. We are thinking about coyote and Fox mostly. We plan to use it as an excuse to get our gear sorted out especially for winter conditions. We want to use the plans I found here to make a pulk. Plan is to carry Kit Bags and Umlindi's while pulling what we would need to set up a decent cold weather camp with the sled. Traveling on either snow shoes or skis although the old man might not be able to handle the skis anymore. I'm gonna dust em off and give it the old Infantry effort.
I guess my question or questions would be... Is anyone else doing this? Any advice or suggestions? We will be buying a predator caller soon but have no idea what type. We'll be using either .22 bolt guns or an AR15. My son has a Pre 64 Winny 94 he basically lives with so he might use it. We are in the Cripple Creek/Victor area. Any suggestions as to some good places to call? We have access to one ranch and I'm working on some private property but any public use lands you would suggest? I have a million questions but I think that's enough for an opening post on the topic. Hopefully the discussion will take off.
Thanks all and especially to Scott and Evan for providing this forum.
Broadsword

New Post
9/26/2016 1:59 PM

You got a ton of fox over there. But I personally wouldn't kill em. Coyotes? Hell yeah. I just use an old lung operated caller...bout 40 years old now. Works like a champ and never runs out of batteries!

New Post
9/26/2016 4:02 PM

yote hunting is a different beast. I learned from a neighbor who was a UDT man. We would travel light, fast, and sneaky to set up our stands like an ambush for Charlie. Weapons stayed the same, AR and 12g with 4 buck. Private ranches are always good. Public land I stick to the "grey" areas as close to civilization as possible.

New Post
9/27/2016 9:01 PM

the0thermrt, summed it up pretty well. I personally have done better with hand calls because I think setting up a remote makes too much commotion. He was right also that the closer to town you get the better the calling is. I have a little spot just outside of town that between my buddy and I have called in about 15 coyotes. Usually right out of the houses.

New Post
9/28/2016 10:19 AM

We have a spot outside of town where we can hear them carrying on nearly every night. Sounds like we need to gear up to move light and fast and spend a day covering that hillside.
I'm really bummed that the liberals have banned trapping in Colorado. Can't trap a coyote but you can smoke all the pot you want. This state is heading down hill fast.
Thanks for the replies so far.
Broadsword

New Post
10/4/2016 9:37 AM

Here is my input for the calling questions.

Getting a simple mouth blown call is the easiest and cheapest way. The Crit-R-Call is a good start for coyote vocalizations and prey sounds. If you want to spend the money on an electronic I would get a Fox Pro. Buying cheap will be an operation in frustration.

I would NOT recommend using a 22lr to hunt coyotes. The AR with a low or medium powered variable is a better option. I prefer 55gr and up for the 223. With the Nosler 55BT and Barnes 62TTSX being my go to bullets. Any factory SP or HP in the 55-64gr area should work fine. If you are running something bigger than 223 let me know and I will recommend a bullet.

Locate where the coyotes are howling from in the evening. Then sneak back in the morning and open up with a soft higher pitched young coyote howl. Don't sound to tough or they will just leave. Give it some time then switch to a prey sound. Cottontail, Jackrabbit, fawn, rodent, etc. Pay attention to the wind. If you take one or miss switch to a pup in distress sound and you may pick up a double or more if you are lucky.

I only take Fox as incidentals and only if I’m skinning them. If I were targeting them I would start in the thick stuff and try to target the males. The Fox Pro Griz-N-Gray hand call would be a good start. A 22mag, 12g with plated BB, or similar is what I would prefer on fox. I am not a fan of any of the 17's and I have used a few. Fox are fragile and easy to tear up. They don’t sew worth a lick either.

Let us know how it is going.

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
10/4/2016 9:43 AM

Re-read Strows post a couple of times. He is a professional and past president of the Arizona Trappers Association. He has taken more coyotes than most folks will ever see.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
10/5/2016 3:25 PM

Thanks Strow,
Sounds like good advice coming from experience. We each have a mouth call and have been practicing. Can you make coyote howls and prey sounds with the same call?
We watched some calling videos and from that just assumed the electronic calls were the way to go. I have an AR carbine and am considering another for my son if I ever get my Kimber sold or traded. We will be keeping the pelts to practice tanning. Maybe at some point we might get good enough or lucky enough to actually sell some fur. It frustrates the crap out of me that you can't trap in Colorado anymore. We would both love to run a trap line. One more question. Can you recommend any books or videos possibly youtube channels on the subject?
Thanks again,
Broadsword

New Post
10/6/2016 1:43 PM

Hand calls vs E-callers just depends on whether you have more $$$ or time. I usually carry both, with the E-caller as primary and hand calls for back up.

If you practice a bit you can make a very passable coyote howl with an open reed predator call. They also make bigger “howlers” specifically for howling. Zepp’s Kill Pole, ELK Power Howler, and Tally-Ho will all work. 

The electronic calls are the “easy button.” Their real advantage is getting the sound away from you. I usually set my Fox Pro CS24 anywhere from 50-100yds out in front. It gets the predators attention on the E-caller and off of me. A mess of coyotes have been killed with a hand call though.

F&T Tradding Post has several good videos on fur put up. Finley’s “Two Minute Coyote” is a very good coyote video. For Cats none is better than Mercer Lawing’s “Top Dollar Cats”. Mercer is also a good friend of mine. Clint Locklear always has good stuff and a heck of a nice guy. Mercer and Clint should have YouTube channels.

I have given a mess of skinning and fur put up demos over the years and will try to help with any other questions you have. If you plan on selling your fur on the fur market or to a fur buyer you will need it case skinned, fleshed, and stretched (not tanned). If you plan on using your fur for art or sewing projects you will need to send it to a tannery. Moyle Mink and Tannery is who I use…but they are running about 6 months behind.

Leg hold traps and snares have been banned in CO for quite some time. I thought that cage trapping was still legal though. I would check with the Colorado Trappers Assoc and become a member.

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
10/12/2016 12:32 PM

Thanks again for all the information. I really appreciate it.

I've been looking on the Foxpro web site. There's no way I'll be able to drop five or six hundred dollars on a call. I'm looking at the Inferno. I looked at the entry level Deadbone but I think the Inferno offers room for expanding later on by adding external speakers, Visual lures and additional sounds.

I got my Umlindi and Prairie belt yesterday. It's the perfect size for spending the day hiking out and getting set up them moving to another set and another all day long.

Cage trapping is still legal here and we may look into it. I did just a cursory search for some cage traps and they look expensive. I'm thinking the collapsible variety are the way to go just thinking about hauling them out. Two or three per man strapped to your pack I guess would be the way to go. definitely need to do some more research there.

Thanks again for all the help,
Broadsword

New Post
10/12/2016 2:40 PM

Any e-caller will work just fine. Keep in mind in more open terrain I'm setting up at least 1 mile from my last stand. This all depends on population (food/water) density and cover. I can poke all 4 corners of a 10 acre horse ranch, or drive the desert and setup every mile where I find a vacant lot between housing developments. Out in the wilds the yotes are thinner in population so I have to travel further and smarter for stands (finding natural corridors or draws that spread out like a hand).

New Post
10/12/2016 11:44 PM

I forgot to mention. I have a 2012 Jeep Rubicon. Should be no problem for us to get out there where they live and cover a lot of ground in a day. I know the fox haven't been hunted right here around the town. They walk right into town and stroll right up main street. The coyotes are a bit more reclusive. I see them once in a while but not real often. I do hear them nearly every night right outside of town yipping it up.
I can't wait to get after them. I saw a fox just last night about two feet away. We actually shared a granola bar. Her fur looked like it's getting nice and thick. I guess it's because of the cooler weather. I'm at 10,000 feet elevation. The temps been getting down around 35-38 degrees at night and early morning. I'm looking forward to a fun winter spending some quality mountain time with my son.
Broadsword

New Post
10/25/2016 8:26 AM

Strow gave very good advise, things that are very important to me.

Wind direction is #1. You can fool his ears, fool his eyes, but you cant fool his nose. I am a cross wind caller and is my biggest consideration on calling coyotes and red fox. Greys don't seem to particular about it.

Practice shooting in the same postion you call from.

Callers I too prefer FoxPro. Shop around and look at Ebay. I bought a friend a very good caller that was new for half price.

Hand calls I run a Zepps Kill pole howler. Coyote vocals are something you need to learn. Most callers never take the time to understand what they mean. However it is one thing that will put you ahead of your completion. I also use Zepps open read hand call and as mentioned criter caller standard and pee wee are both excellent calls as well.

Don't rule out public land for calling. You just need to sound different than your local callers and things can be very productive. Using a hand call will help as most are electronic callers and use the same FoxPro sounds.

For a decoy I wouldn't spend the money for an electronic decoy. A couple feathers on a fishing swivel either tied to a bush or clamped on work great. In areas with just grass I use a old arrow shaft and attach it too that. With coyotes I feel that subtle movement is best.

Good luck

Brent

New Post
10/27/2016 11:24 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys. We appreciate it. We talked a little bit and have decided to give it a couple more weeks in hopes that the cold nights will help get the fur nice and thick. I'll keep you all posted on our adventures.
Broadsword

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralGoing for coyote and fox this winterGoing for coyote and fox this winter