Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralWater BladderWater Bladder
Previous

Next
New Post
6/13/2016 8:00 PM

What are yall using for water bladders?  IE, Camelbak type systems, with your UTE and Qui-Ya packs?

I'm a die-hard bottle guy, but I would like to have a small water bladder to use to sip out of while on the move.  Ideas?  Suggestions?

New Post
6/13/2016 8:29 PM

Evo8dude wrote:
What are yall using for water bladders?  IE, Camelbak type systems, with your UTE and Qui-Ya packs?

I'm a die-hard bottle guy, but I would like to have a small water bladder to use to sip out of while on the move.  Ideas?  Suggestions?

I've become essentially anti-bladder because most all of them have leaked at the most inopportune times.  However, when I do use a bladder, I have been happy with The Source Hydration models.  Those have been putting up with the riggers of my overseas travels in rough conditions and well less than kid gloves treatment.  I also like their adapter that can attach on to the tube to refill them without needing to remove the bladder from your pack.

http://sourcetacticalgear.com/10-tact...

http://sourcetacticalgear.com/hydrati...

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/13/2016 8:42 PM

I've been perusing some of the older threads here about bladders and since doing that, I've picked up 2 extra Nalgenes. I'm a die hard nalgene fan for my gym water so it just made sense to get them. Now I jave to fogure out how to carry them w/out sacrificing space for other important items.

New Post
6/13/2016 8:53 PM

I have yet to find any that hold up better than the msr dromedary, but the msr drink hose sucks.

New Post
6/13/2016 9:07 PM

Though I like canteens just fine for shorter hikes, +1 on Source Hydration for bladders, no crappy PVC taste. I can run a small inline MSR or Sawyer filter into the bladder pretty easily.

"Law is error, you see. It's an attempt to write down a lot of things that everyone ought to know anyway" ~~~ Freeman ibn Solomon - The Gone-Away World (Nick Harkaway)

New Post
6/14/2016 12:20 PM

Yea, I've been looking at the Source Hydration bladders. I've got a toss-up between those and these two options:

https://www.amazon.com/Source-Outdoor-Convertube-Bottle-Adapter/dp/B004QMF0U8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Source makes a bottle adapter, that lets you put a drinking hose hooked up to various bottle types. The only problem is that every time you drink out of it, you have to suck all the air out of the hose first before getting water.

3rd option:

https://www.amazon.com/Platypus-07045-Drinking-Tube-Kit/dp/B000J2H8OA/ref=pd_sbs_468_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41PFIUpf32L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=AFQDFGRNP1D4J4TRNJJK

Hook one of these up to a Platypus collapsing bottle, making basically a water bladder, but one I can keep in my water bottle pouches instead of inside my pack.

New Post
6/14/2016 12:50 PM

I use the source bottle adapter and have found it to be a good alternative to bladders. Evo I haven't experienced the "air sucking out problem" you describe. Water pretty much comes out almost instantly when you start to pull. I carry 2 bottles (in bottle pockets) and just attach a new bottle to the adapter line (switching the full and empty bottles leaving the line in the same pocket and attached to the same place on the pack). It is pretty fast and easy with all of the ease of drinking of a bladder hose and the advantages of bottles (I use 2 light weight stainless bottles which are the same size and weigh 1 oz. more than Nalgenes and have not had any problems). I just don't want to take the chance on leaks and this system has worked well for me.  

New Post
6/14/2016 7:09 PM

Yea, that's what I was thinking I'd do too, carry a SS Nalgene type bottle with the adapter on it, and carry the rest of my water in Gatoraide bottles or Oasis Canteens.

I'm leaning towards using that setup and seeing how it works.

New Post
6/14/2016 7:09 PM

Yea, that's what I was thinking I'd do too, carry a SS Nalgene type bottle with the adapter on it, and carry the rest of my water in Gatoraide bottles or Oasis Canteens.

I'm leaning towards using that setup and seeing how it works.

New Post
6/14/2016 11:14 PM

I'm using Geigerrig and Camelbak military bladders

New Post
8/7/2016 1:46 PM

I'm a bottle dude for the most part. However, I'll second the MSR Dromedary bags. Back in 2007 when we trekked the Everest and the Annapurna trails, we each carried the 4L bags in addition to our two 1L Nalgenes. They were a terrific insurance policy for not running into running water, which ended up not being an issue. Overall they are bomb proof and I still have and use them. Solid product.

New Post
8/7/2016 6:28 PM

I used an MSR 6L Dromedary for a few parachute infils.  It has yet to fail me.  I always rigged in the top of the ruck, and had to ruck rigged to land upright

New Post
10/25/2016 7:46 AM

The Source bladders are the only ones I do not trust. I had mine break on me at the very beginning of my first overnight patrol/post in Afghanistan. Leaked very fast all down my back and legs. Cold, miserable and thirsty. I have never had a Camel Bak bladder break on me, however only have really used them for hiking/biking. I got a Geigerrig a couple summers ago. Realized I HATED the pressure system, so threw on a normal Camel Bak hose to the bladder because their bladders are, in my opinion, toughest out there. Just check out their youtube vids.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralWater BladderWater Bladder