Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralCore Alcohol StoveCore Alcohol Stove
Previous

Next
New Post
9/11/2016 4:09 PM

I picked up a core alcohol stove last week. Ive never been a big fan of alcohol stoves but this thing is pretty slick. Did some initial testing in my shop.

It came with a velco pouch and is a very small package. 

To adjust the burn intensity you have to set the width of the vents on the side. The wider the opening the hotter the burn. I set mine at wide open for testing.

For reference the core will fit into the folding firebox nano as a make shift windscreen.

Weights.

Core: 2.2 oz with case, 1.6 without

Folding firebox nano:  5.0 oz

Test consisted of 12 oz of water with 1 oz of denatured alcohol.

Core: Rolling boil at 4:50. Complete flame out at 7:45

Little Guy is glowing

The second test on the core was to max it out. I added 1.5 oz of alcohol (I tried adding 2 oz but it spilled out the vents. 1.5 is the max I think). I then added a large pot with 30 oz of water.

So at 10:45 I had a rolling boil on 30 oz. and at 11:10 it burned out! Couldn't cut it much closer.

What to do while watching a pot boil.

Over all its a fantastic little stove. If I weren't in a controlled environment (no wind) I wouldn't have been able to boil all 30 oz I'm sure. 

One of the bonuses of the cross stand in the middle is that it will shelter 2-3 sections from wind allowing the other side to burn. I need to test that theory out.

Comparative weights: 

Core: 2.2 oz with case, 1.6 without

Esbit alcohol stove: 3.4 oz

Pathfinder model steel alcohol stove: 7.6 oz with windscreen

Folding firebox nano wood stove:  5.0 oz

Solo stove wood stove. :  8.6 oz

If you are at all interested in alcohol stoves this model may be worth checking out. Ive been pretty impress thus far. 

New Post
9/23/2016 3:35 PM

Very slick looking design.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralCore Alcohol StoveCore Alcohol Stove