Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralP & S CameraP & S Camera
Previous

Next
New Post
8/19/2016 9:14 AM

Mine bit the dust, what are you all running for a simple camera?

New Post
8/19/2016 9:49 AM

I'm in the same boat.  I've been using the same Canon Powershot-series camera for the last several years and it crapped out where I am now in Peru / Paraguay.  Wouldn't mind getting something tougher, like one of the Olympus Tough models, but would like a better lens with zoom capability.  I will certainly defer to knowledge from Superbadger or Evan regarding one that is a step up from a standard DSLR, to a decently priced one that has a good lens with zoom, but still rugged for outdoor use.

Edit:  I found this site http://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-... which provides some insight for good models.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
8/19/2016 4:41 PM

ANY camera you get today will be way better than the camera you got several years ago. In terms of zoom (optical is all that matters), image sensor capability, and size to features. They improve at about the same rate as mobile phones. I don't know anything about the tough models. For me, camera rides inside of a padded organizer bucket inside of kit bag and I haven't had any toughness issues with the Powershots I always get. Upgrades have taken place every 3 years or so simply to take advantage of the inevitable product improvements, not because they've worn out.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
8/19/2016 5:38 PM

I ended up pulling the trigger on this one.  Big sensor, decent zoom, great image quality, fairly wide angle for landscapes, and intuitive controls: http://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber...

I wanted to make sure I had a good one for my upcoming return to the bush in South Africa....maybe get a shot of a leopard or a better shot of the elusive sable.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
8/20/2016 10:21 AM

Nice! It would need to have pictographs and be armored up to survive me. Looking forward to the pictures.

New Post
8/20/2016 11:11 AM

I have an Olympus TG4 and am happy enough with it. It stays in my Kit Bag and I like that it is water resistant and such, but Im not sure how important that is under most circumstances. AnthonyP, if I knew how to post pics I would post some I have taken for reference. I have read great things about the Sony RX100 that alpendrms just got, and may one day switch, or maybe try a micro 4/3 mirrorless as a happy medium between a point and shoot and my DSLR. alpendrms, I'm looking forward to those shots.

New Post
8/20/2016 11:47 PM

I had a Canon G12 for the longest time. It was amazing, but a little bulky. I've swapped to a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 since I wanted the ability to change lenses when i'm not using my Canon 30D. It's been nice and compact as well, although the lens doesn't retract into the body. Plus, remote control via my phone with live view is a nice touch.

New Post
8/21/2016 6:17 PM

If you're looking to maximize image quality, I might put the Ricoh GR on your radar--it uses the same 16 megapixel sensor as Pentax's recent flagship DSLR (the K5), has a very sharp 28mm (full frame equivalent) lens (with an optional wide angle lens available), yet remains pocketable.  It's built pretty ruggedly, but isn't weather sealed like other Pentax DSLR's and lenses.  In any case, the GR lets you shoot in RAW format; i.e., you can use a photo-processing program to customize how each shot is "developed," rather than rely solely on the automated output of other cameras.

FWIW, probably the most impressive bang for your buck when it comes to size/IQ are the Sigma Merrill cameras--like the Ricoh GR, they have a similarly fixed focal length lens and a really sophisticated, though quirky sensor.  The problem with the Sigma's, despite their rugged builds, is that they're rather "slow" cameras--you'd probably need a tripod to get the most out of them in low-light conditions.

New Post
8/25/2016 9:54 AM

alpendrms wrote:

I ended up pulling the trigger on this one.  Big sensor, decent zoom, great image quality, fairly wide angle for landscapes, and intuitive controls: http://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber...

I wanted to make sure I had a good one for my upcoming return to the bush in South Africa....maybe get a shot of a leopard or a better shot of the elusive sable.

By all accounts, that Sony (RX100) in any one of its variants is the one to get. I'm interested in hearing how it holds up under hard use.

New Post
8/25/2016 10:21 AM

Thin Man wrote:

By all accounts, that Sony (RX100) in any one of its variants is the one to get. I'm interested in hearing how it holds up under hard use.

I hope to provide some good field notes on the camera and how it performs out in the South African Bushveldt.  I depart tomorrow on that trip.  I did buy the add-on grip to attach to the body of the camera for better positive control.  I also bought a Lowepro protective sleeve, a second battery with wall charger, and a 64 Gb card for it.  I plan to carry the camera inside its protective sleeve in my Kit Bag while out in the bush.  Redundant?  Yes, but I think the intelligent thing to do with such a camera is to at least treat it decently.  It will no doubt get some hard-use, but not careless use, if that makes sense.

New Post
9/1/2016 6:04 PM

The  Sony RX100 series are really great cameras, all 3 versions.

I have the original version and it has produced some great results!

The adhesive add on grip makes a huge difference in handling, I frequently travel with mine in a small otter box to protect it.

link to an example:

https://flic.kr/p/DcSSxo

New Post
9/13/2016 4:01 PM

It does not zoom, or have any weather-sealing, but I like the Nikon Coolpix A. The sensor is true APS-C "DX" in size, being the same sensor as in the D7000 digital SLR camera. The fixed-focal-lenth 18.5mm lens has a 28mm-equivalent angle-of-view, which I like for landscape images. There is no "anti-aliasing" filter in the optical path to the sensor. The flash shoe mates with the same flash units as Nikon digital SLR cameras. One can shoot RAW with this camera. The exterior metal construction is quite pleasing in the hand.

The Nikon Coolpix A and Ricoh GR seem to have been designed to answer the same question, and were released about the same time. The Nikon A is out of production, but available on the pre-owned market. I think Nikon misunderstood the market, when attaching the "Coolpix" label to the A. The usual Coolpix buyer balked at the original retail price, and the enthusiast who wanted a pro-level APS-C sensor in a small form factor bought the much-less-expensive Ricoh GR.

New Post
9/19/2016 6:44 PM

Although I am still learning the left and right limits of the camera, I have nothing but good things to say so far about the Sony RX100 I bought before my recent Africa trip.  One thing that I really noticed when I got to upload photos to my computer and edit them is that in the past if I tried to crop and blow-up photos to sort of manipulate and zoom in on a subject, I could only get away with that so much before the image appeared heavily pixilated and essentially ruined.  With images I've pulled off of the RX100, I was able to zoom in pretty deeply and bring out quite a lot of detail.  I noticed this particularly with a couple photos I took of eland, bushbuck, and warthogs.  The clarity and level of detail I was able to capture with the RX100 made me seem like a better photographer than I am!  Very happy with this camera.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralP & S CameraP & S Camera