Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralShoe Goo or alternative boot repairShoe Goo or alternative boot repair
Previous

Next
New Post
9/14/2016 12:26 PM

I have a 2 month old pair of Saloman Ultra Mid Aeros that the toe rand is delaminating on.  Saloman is warrantying them but I am hoping to patch them up and get a few more months and miles out of them.  I am trying to glue rubber back to rubber. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for adhesives that have been successful for this type of repair?  Is Shoe Goo still the best option?  Are there better brands?

What is the best way to prep the rubber pieces?  Alcohol, acetone, heat, fire? 

Thanks!

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
9/14/2016 5:22 PM

I remember using Shoe Goo on something and being disappointed with the results, but I can't remember what. I think Aquaseal will also work. I know Dave Chenault over at bedrock and paradox likes it.

New Post
9/15/2016 1:51 AM

McNett Seamgrip works well, as long as you don't mind the shiny appearance it has on any exposed parts.  Perhaps an even better option is Barge Cement.  That's the definitive repair adhesive for kayakers and canoeists.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
9/15/2016 9:20 AM

Barge's Cement is really good when you need something that will flex with the leather. It was the only thing that held on an area in a shoe that constantly flexed.

On a second note, I am not sure Salomon will keep the warranty if you try to "fix" them yourself. I would ask before they kick them back to you with a charge.

New Post
9/15/2016 10:19 AM

I've always had great results from Barge cement until recently I could only get a blue tube of the stuff locally for Chaco sole repair. The blue tube stuff didn't keep the bond as as long as the orange can cement, at least as I remember.

New Post
9/15/2016 10:40 AM

Barge Cement (orange)...will give it a go! 

Is this it? They are sure proud of it...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANV704U/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_3

Thanks!

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
9/15/2016 10:53 AM

That's the stuff.  Aside from Amazon, you might find it at Lowe's or Home Depot, as well.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
9/15/2016 10:53 PM

The blue Barge Cement I used once and it didn't hold up more than 4 days, that was 40 miles of hiking in those 4 days though so ymmv.

Check this stuff out too.

http://downriverequip.com/shop/repair1/adhesives-solvents/

The hyplaon shore adhesive might be worth looking into as well, and it comes in a smaller size than 1Qt. It's used for repairs on inflatable boats. The Sta-Bond is pricey but used to attach D-rings onto boats and is supposed to be permanent, I'd think it would hold some shoes together.

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
9/17/2016 12:57 PM

I've had good luck with "liquid nails" and sometimes you can find it in a toothpaste style tube, not a giant caulking tube. If you try it, make sure you get the polyurethane glue version, not the silicone version. I've found silicone to be a poor repair material. The old school "shoe-goo" I used to get was the best stuff I remember, but the stuff I see being sold today is a silicone version, like silicone bathroom caulk. I think it's garbage for repair work.

Someone mentioned the McNett Seamgrip. I've had good results from their products. I see they have a new one called "Freesole" specifically for fixing shoes. I haven't used it so I can't say for certain, but it may be exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Clothing/Accessories/Miscellaneous/McNett-Freesole-Shoe-Repair-1oz-10410.axd
https://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/freesole#10410

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralShoe Goo or alternative boot repairShoe Goo or alternative boot repair