Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralHelp Me Configure  My External Frame PackHelp Me Configure My External Frame Pack
Previous

Next
New Post
5/12/2016 1:44 PM

Ok, so I am picking up a Dana Designs external frame in a trade from one of the other forum members here, and I am starting to think about what I want to eventually want to do to it, and I have some questions.

1.  I would like to have a small bottom compression PANEL connecting between the frame itself and a Tarahumara that I am going to use as a compression panel on the back of the pack.  Basically looking for something simple, like a 500D cordura fabric sheet about the width of the Tarahumara.  As light and simple as possible.  Basically, I want a panel, more than just 2 straps, to use for compression / load shelf at the bottom of the pack.  Any suggestions?

2.  I'd like to have two  'wings', one on each side of the pack, to use for compression panels but with a small pocket on each side towards the top, between compression straps....and a water bottle pocket at the bottom on each side.  I'm assuming no one has anything like this out there.  But any suggestions?

3.  Anyone put a water reservoir setup right up against the frame?  Between the main load stuff bags and the frame itself?  Or where do you guys put the water reservoir?  I usually just run water bottles, but I WOULD like a reservoir option.  So I'm asking, ideas and suggestions on where to put a reservoir....and suggestions on a lightweight, quality reservoir sleeve.  The lightest one from Camelbak weights about the same as a Tarahumara in compression panel mode, should I just use a 2nd one of those as a reservoir sleeve?

4.  Lightweight, simple floating lid that I can use as a compression panel on top, with a single basic pocket in it.  I know there are a bunch out there for lightweight backpacking, but they all have super-small straps and such.  I'm wanting something that would work with the HPG sized / style of straps, etc.

And any other ideas / suggestions?

New Post
9/13/2016 11:39 PM

Evo,
I just now saw this thread. i have been tweaking a Dana external for about two years now. I started with the HPG prairie belt, which worked awesome. I too wanted to add a compression panel ( I own a highlander), but struggled with how to attach it cleanly. I have since started over. I bought another Dana which had the newer, more desirable, grey shoulder straps. I was able to rebuild my original frame with the new straps. I also swapped over to Kifaru belt, Cargo Panel, and pouches. So far they have worked very sell together. I am struggling with the same question as you-- I want a large panel to cover the frame in order to create more separation from the load and my back. I have had a few takes on the hydration reservoir. I have been using a MSR Dromlite 3L, which I really enjoy. I first used a piece of 550 cord to hang it from the frame up high, but I switched to using a dedicated pouch for it, hanging from the inside of the cargo panel. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralHelp Me Configure  My External Frame PackHelp Me Configure My External Frame Pack