Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSignaling - Flagging tapeSignaling - Flagging tape
Previous

Next
New Post
7/9/2016 10:28 PM

In my backcountry kit I carry a small signal panel like this one:

Battle Systems MPIL

As I was going through my kit recently, I thought a good addition might be a 10' piece of pink flagging tape. 

It weighs almost nothing, and takes up almost no room. In high wind, it would flap in the breeze pretty well, and could possibly be waved around on the end of a stick/trekking pole to give a searcher a better target to spot. In addition, I think it could be tied onto a weighted line for a daytime "lasso"- similar to what .mil folks might do with an IR glow stick at night. 

If there's anyone here with any aerial search experience, I'd really appreciate any input to see if there's any validity to my thinking. Regardless, it's so light and compact I'll probably leave it in. 

Aside from rescue uses, it could be used to mark trails or turnoffs, other points of interest, or used to denote location if you've got a group coming down the trail behind you that you'd like to link up with. 

New Post
7/10/2016 7:34 AM

SuperBadger, First impression, I like the orange panel. Several ways you could display the panel to draw attention to yourself. Not so keen on the flagging tape. When out looking for an over due person or trying to find an injured person, flagging tape is like a candy bar wrapper. The searcher notes the location and walks on.

Flagging tape can be helpful if written on. ie: SB left main trail new heading 62 deg 0732 hrs 7-10-16, on tape with a sharpie. You get the idea. I'm saying tape can be useful if message left.

New Post
7/12/2016 11:00 AM

Thanks for the response Boy, it's important to know the deficiencies of a given product. I'll definitely keep both of them packed, but when needed they'll be deployed appropriately.

New Post
7/12/2016 2:42 PM

Yep - all of my packs have orange tape in them. That color isn't used around here by surveyor's so it should warrant some attention. I also keep a fine point Sharpie in my packs should I choose to leave a message on the tape or make other notations.

New Post
7/13/2016 2:00 PM

I have some experience in SAR, and I can second that flagging tape is often overlooked by searchers if searching anywhere near a trail. I do, however carry flagging tape in my both my search pack and general kit. In relation to SAR, the tape provides me an easy way to mark places I have been, locations of search subject, etc. In my personal kit, it serves to mark gear caches, to act as bread crumbs of traveling off trail or in the snow, and to signal to other members of my party. Good to carry both. The MPIL is an awesome way to signal air assets, or other searchers who may see it across valleys and draws, or in sparsely vegetated terrain. An orange smoke or flare is useful to signal air assets, and will not be mistaken by searchers as litter or a naturally occurring phenomenon. 

New Post
8/1/2016 10:33 AM

A bit of some great info.

I worked on an Silvaculture crew surveying and inventorying old growth timber, timber stands, and clear cut regeneration, and EIS work in the NW region of the country. We carried roles of flagging tape with us. We used an grease pencil to write on it our coding in chains and azmuth to the next survey plot. So if we ran across one of our flags we could identify exactly where we were and how to find survey plots pre-GPS days.

I highly recommend carrying an roll of high viz flagging and an grease pencil. On the roll, it's easy to write on, but one could also use a flat surface.

Anyway. The grease pencil on the tape shows up well and stays on reguardless of weather. It could be an go aid in alerting bearing azimuth or passing other information. I'm thinking if you were going into an area and wanted others to follow so you can meet up some flagging and grease pencil could be valuable.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSignaling - Flagging tapeSignaling - Flagging tape