Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralLittle Black Flashlights?Little Black Flashlights?
Previous

Next
New Post
6/6/2016 9:35 PM

Sorry if this has been done before.  I am wondering if anybody has a favorite brand LED/CREE type little black flashlights?  You can buy them under many different names off amazon, some cheap some not so much.

On the quality side, I have a Surefire, EagleTac, and Fenix I guess is quality.  

On the no name side I have had Refun and Ultrafire.  I haven't put the no names through any abuse.  Just wondering if anybody has had any good luck with particular brand of cheaper little black flashlight.  Have had some that lasted and were bright and some that didn't/weren't.  Just curious.  Thanks.

Lug1.... If you falter in a time of trouble, how small is your strength?

New Post
6/6/2016 10:06 PM

I have had a Streamlight Stylus Pro for about 6 years now. I originally bought it for inspecting bolt hole threads, while rebuilding transmissions. But it has become my go to light for anything I need a flashlight for. I also have a Streamlight ProTac if I need a little more power, but it is rare.

New Post
6/6/2016 10:44 PM

If youre talking EDC style pocket lights then I love my Streamlight Microstream.  Its a 120 Lumen single cell AAA with a full Aluminum body and a labeled runtime of 2 hours (but I never run it for more than 5 min at a time so I cant vouch for that).  You can get one for $20 or less.  It has one brightness level that is either on or off (thats how I like it; plain and simple; I cant ever get those fancy lights with 7 different light modes to do what I want them to)

I really like the tail switch on it.  The momentary push is soft so its easy to activate, but the permanent on is much harder to activate so you wont inadvertently click it on when its in your pocket or when youre in a tactical situation (if thats part of your style; I just like knowing the battery wont drain in my pocket).  If mine ever breaks Ill probably buy the same thing to replace it.  But note that its not much of an outdoor light.  The light spreads wide making it nice for flooding a close range area (within 10 yards) with light but terrible for seeing something far off.  The focus is not adjustable.

As for something larger I have yet to find something that I really like.  As of now Im using a Mini Maglite LED which is not my favorite, but it does the job.

Sorry for the technical nerd rampage.  I didnt know there was that much to say about a simple flashlight.

New Post
6/7/2016 4:14 AM

As my EDC pocket flashlight that is still useful as a handheld pistol light, I carry a Surefire Outdoorsman.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/7/2016 4:16 AM

I have an Olight S1 baton that I like a lot.

New Post
6/7/2016 8:10 AM

Thanks for the replies. I have a surefire and eagletac that are edc and abuse takers. Looking at redundant cheap lights. Places like glove box and such. And sending my daughter off to college with a good light. Gotta keep her prepped.

I am not sure on the overal quality of the Fenix I just got not too long ago. I haven't abused it yet, but I have read reviews of people that say it takes a fair amount. Overall I doubt I am rough on my gear like a good portion of the people on this forum. I am still a city boy for now. But looking to change that shortly.

Thank you all again.

Lug1.... If you falter in a time of trouble, how small is your strength?

New Post
6/7/2016 9:37 AM

My favorite right now is a JetBeam BA10. I loved the form factor of the Microstream but I hate AAA batteries. The BA10 is quite a bit bulkier then the microstream but it fit my specific requirements: 1) AA battery 2) momentary and constant tailcap 3) brightness settings adjustable by feel and with the light off. 4) A up-close won't-blind-you setting and a look-for-stuff-further-away setting.

I like fenix in general but a lot of their smaller lights have weird brightness adjustments or strange tail switches (or side switches).

New Post
6/7/2016 10:48 AM

A Surefire LX2 Lumamax is my constant companion.  I carry it clipped into my left rear hip pocket.  I have a key ring as a lanyard.

New Post
6/7/2016 3:45 PM

In my experience, you can't go wrong with Streamlight. Half the price of Surefire with comparable performance.

I put a Microstream through the wash (accidentally) and it didn't even phase it.

New Post
6/8/2016 7:10 PM

I'm generally a Sure-fire carrier but by daughter gave me a Streamlight 2 AA light this past Christmas. I believe it's a Pro-tac and puts out 150 lumens. For a less expensive light you could get a mini Maglite version that's advertise at 272 lumens. I got her on of those last fall and it's pretty good for about $20 or so

New Post
6/9/2016 8:43 AM

Currently in recovery from a little flashlight problem (read a dedicated dresser drawer for lights). Still struggling with blade sickness (grin).

Really been an explosion of quality lights on the market. Three I have that see constant use are the Arc AAA, Surefire E series with custom head and tritium dot and the newer (and very reasonably-priced) L3 Illumination L10 with a high-CRI emitter. Been using headlamps like the Princeton Tech in the pic more and more.

"Law is error, you see. It's an attempt to write down a lot of things that everyone ought to know anyway" ~~~ Freeman ibn Solomon - The Gone-Away World (Nick Harkaway)

New Post
6/10/2016 6:22 AM

For a redundant cheap light I've been using the Maglite Solitaire. No, it isn't the latest/greatest, but it throws a usable amount of light, and they are pretty tough. They are limited in the distance they cast their light, but they are useful for general purpose. If you lose it or whatever, a replacement is as close as the nearest Wal-Mart. We even used mine in the clinic last week to look in an undermined diabetic foot wound.
Mike

New Post
6/18/2016 10:19 PM

After demonstration by the instructors at PFC in Henderson, NV, followed by extensive YouTube videos followed, I've settled with Elzetta lights and don't see myself going back to SF (or anything else) anytime soon. Seriously, if durability is any concern, please do yourself a solid and YouTube the Elzetta video where they use the light to pound nails into a wood board, which doesn't phase it.

One of our instructors took his and repeatedly slammed it off the ground/rocks in the Nevada desert and no matter how hard we slammed it, or how many times, it wasn't at all phased. Incredible.

New Post
7/14/2016 3:27 PM

L3 illumination L10 twisty. I love the simplicity of the 4 mode. always starts off in moonlight.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralLittle Black Flashlights?Little Black Flashlights?