Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSilky KatanaboySilky Katanaboy
Previous

Next
New Post
6/5/2016 9:41 PM

Anyone here got and time with one of the large Silky pull saws like the Katanaboy 500 or 650?  I'm pondering one of these for a SHTF load out and as a back up to a chainsaw for firewood.  I figured I'd build a proper sawbuck to place smaller logs/limbs in to saw them up.  Vids I've watched on these saws state that smaller rounds need to be held solidly because the saw pulls so aggressively.  Silky sells a special purpose file to sharpen the blades but I'm getting conflicting info about whether the impulse-hardened teeth can be resharpened.

The Katanaboy 500 weighs two pounds and folds up about two feet long.  That paired with a Stroud Bush Axe should be a potent, yet compact setup.  About five pounds total.

New Post
6/6/2016 12:05 AM

No personal experience, but I can't imagine it beating a good (large) bow saw on durability or weight. I have no doubt the silky blade is very good at what it does but having that long of an unsupported (right term?) blade gives me the willies. Certainly lower bulk then a rigid bow saw but a good bit heavier too, usually weight is more important to me.

New Post
6/6/2016 6:56 AM

I have no personal experience with the Silky, but have used similar saws a lot. Provided it is stiff enough (looks to be), there is no doubt in my mind that it will outwork any bow saw of similar size and even bigger. It also appears to be a Japanese style blade, which cuts on the pull unlike the European style which cuts on the push. The Japanese style is safer, less likely to bind and if it does the bind is on the opposite side of the log from you unlike a push saw, and also more energy efficient in my experience. I don't carry a bow saw I carry something similar to the Silky in style, but smaller and sold by Stihl. A bow saw will be lighter, but won't do as much work and will actually be more dangerous due to binding unless you are very careful in both blade selection and use. Personally, I am not fan of bow saws at all, and would take something like the Silky every day and twice on days I am actually using it. The Gerber slide out saws that Evan and I have carried and used for years are of the same style as the Silky. Evan sticks to a bow saw for his Jeep, but is very choose about his blades. I hope some day to break him of the bad habit of carrying a bow saw.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
6/6/2016 9:14 AM

scothill wrote:
  Evan sticks to a bow saw for his Jeep, but is very choose about his blades. I hope some day to break him of the bad habit of carrying a bow saw.

Yep. It's my opinion that a 24" bow saw with a quality swedish blade is *the* choice short of something that is loud and says Stihl on the side.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
6/6/2016 9:18 AM

Interesting.....two brothers....similar experiences.....two different opinions. Cool!

New Post
6/6/2016 9:25 AM

I do have way more time using non-mechanized saws than Evan, whereas he has way more chainsaw time. :)

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
6/6/2016 10:37 AM

Even though I carry the Wicked Tree Gear Folding Saw, similar to several others posted above, I can see the benefit of having a bow saw like that which Evan prefers.  A frame supported, well-designed blade allows for a much longer cutting edge than a folding model.  More than a couple times I've been close to purchasing a 21" Sven Saw.  I think both designs have their benefits.  If I'm skiing a pulk sled in with winter camp gear for a few days and will need to have plenty of wood to fuel a Shepherd Stove, I wouldn't mind having a longer bow saw and bigger axe (like my GB) along to make the work more efficient.  Most other times, I'll opt for a small folding saw and smaller axe or hawk.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/6/2016 11:44 AM

To be fair, with a Swedish blade Evan's bow saw works pretty well. The biggest downside to most folding japanese style saws is poor handle design. Heck most of them period. At one point someone made a japanese style blade with a european D style handle and about a 21" blade. I alwaus wanted to try one, but just don't process wood often enough without a chainsaw I never apent the money. Basically pretty similar to a one man cross cut. Of the three trail crews I was one, two had replaced all their bow saws with japanese style saws. On the third we didn't use small saws. Come to think of it we didn't use anything but crosscuts, pulaskis, and rock bars.

New Post
6/6/2016 1:28 PM

Thanks to all.  I think I'll try the Katanaboy 500, as it is small/light enough to carry on foot.  If I like it , I'll spring for the 650 to keep in the truck.

New Post
6/6/2016 1:38 PM

Take-a-knee wrote:
Thanks to all.  I think I'll try the Katanaboy 500, as it is small/light enough to carry on foot.  If I like it , I'll spring for the 650 to keep in the truck.

Hey,

I'd very much appreciate it if you would share you findings after you try it, as I've been looking at similar saws.

Regards,

David

New Post
6/6/2016 4:13 PM

I've been real happy with my 24" Sven Saw.

I keep it in the truck in case I get blocked by down trees. I've never had to use it for that coming home but when I've randomly needed a saw around the place it has been faster than going back to the barn for a chainsaw.

New Post
6/11/2016 3:20 PM

I've got a Silky BigBoy (the size down from the Katanaboy) and it's way better than the Bahco and Gerber saws that I have. I have a good friend who turned me onto them...he spends ALOT of time outdoors, and he's got a few Silky saws, including the Katanaboy (his main saw now) He swears by the Katanaboy. He uses them enough that he resharpens his blades. He says you can get 3 good uses out of each blade, sometimes 4, but that they don't need to be resharpened often.

New Post
6/11/2016 9:35 PM

Will do Wose.  Price shopping for the next week or so and I'm getting the Katanaboy 500 first, then maybe the 650.  Still doing blade research, trying to find if all the blades are impulse hardened or not.

New Post
6/15/2016 9:02 PM

I own a handful of Silky saws but haven't handled the KatanaBoy yet. The Silky Bigboy2000 is the biggest one I have. It has a 14" blade and cuts way quicker then any bowsaw I've used. the Problem I ran into is with the longer blades,It has a higher chance of warping/bending if you get carried away while cutting and the blade sticks. Once the blade warps,it severely impacts the speed of cut.. If you haven't used Silky saws I'd suggest the Gomboy 240. The PocketBoy is great to carry in a kit bag or hunting pack and cuts way above its small,compact size.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSilky KatanaboySilky Katanaboy