Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralBoot NotesBoot Notes
Previous

Next
New Post
4/27/2016 9:23 AM

Anyone with experience with Whites Smoke Jumper or Bounty hunters for hiking and bushcrafting?
I read a lot of good about them, but never tried any of them.
A also read about Limmer boots.
Anyone with any experience with any of theese boots for hiking?

New Post
4/27/2016 11:18 AM

I wore a pair of White's SJs when I was on the Wyoming Hotshots. Lots of off-trail miles across rough terrain. I love those boots and still have them. Extremely comfortable once broken in. However, they're not at all good for hiking. The tall heel isn't a good thing for hiking, and my pair weighs a full 6 pounds. There's a reason that you are seeing more and more "non traditional" boots on Hotshot crews -- boots like the Scarpa Fuegos and the Lowa Baffin Pros. There's also a reason that Smoke jumpers wear these funky ankle brace things over their White's for jumping. If any of them still wear White's anymore. The other issue is that the last time I saw a new pair of White's the quality had degraded considerably. This was at the factory in Spokane. The salesman said that the decline was because they simply can't get the same quality of leather they could 20 years ago.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/27/2016 11:32 AM

Thanks Evan :)

New Post
5/2/2016 8:36 PM

Torleif wrote:
Anyone with experience with Whites Smoke Jumper or Bounty hunters for hiking and bushcrafting?
I read a lot of good about them, but never tried any of them.
A also read about Limmer boots.
Anyone with any experience with any of theese boots for hiking?

Avoid Whites. They aren't the same boot they used to be. My first pair was awesome the last pair I got a few years ago fell apart just as fast as a cheaper boot with the same upkeep the first pair had. Had a full rebuild done and after $300 worth of work done to them Whites got them back to me. Less than one working day later their rebuild began coming apart. There is a reason many back country crews are dropping their Whites contract to have Nicks build their boots. Much better, just like Whites used to be. Still not a good good for hiking though, for the same reasons listed by Evan.

New Post
5/8/2016 10:12 AM

Evan. Have you ever tried Limmers?
Are they as good as I read ?

New Post
5/9/2016 1:51 PM

Haven't tried Limmers

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/30/2016 12:12 AM

Evan:
In the first post you mention the "oldschool" Asolo Yukon.
How would you say they run in sizing? Avarage? Large? or small? compared to other brands.

New Post
5/31/2016 2:55 PM

Torleif wrote:
Evan:
In the first post you mention the "oldschool" Asolo Yukon.
How would you say they run in sizing? Avarage? Large? or small? compared to other brands.

Average

New Post
6/2/2016 9:30 AM

evanhill wrote:

And now, the real meat of what I've learned:

That's all I've got for now. Hopefully some of the above principles will help you more effectively evaluate options the next time you need a pair of boots.

I used to be a footwear buyer in outfoor retail and that is one of the more informative posts I've run into.

My boot size went up a half this year, so I had to abandoned the two pairs of Asolo FSN 85/95s that I've been using for well over a decade. Picked up the Nike SFB and the Asolo Piuma, both "minimalist" designs consistent with where my footwear preferences have gone to. Only have a month and maybe 80 miles total on the pair, but love the fit and lightness (Nike 19 ounces each and Asolo maybe an ounce less in 12.5)

I'm rarely rucking over 20 pounds, almost never over 45 and I've been a minimalist shoe user for a couple years and my lower leg/foot  musculature has adapted accordingly. Day  hike above timberline  in Vivobarefoot low-cuts and Vibram Fivefingers (and have the black toes to prove it).

As mentioned above and in the "More Boots' thread, the "weight vs durability/mobility" discussion has been going on for some time in outdoor gear. Having gotten older and seeing advances in boot tech, I've gone from all leather Raichle and Danners to lighter options. Everyone has to decide where their comfort zone is on that scale.

"Law is error, you see. It's an attempt to write down a lot of things that everyone ought to know anyway" ~~~ Freeman ibn Solomon - The Gone-Away World (Nick Harkaway)

New Post
    6/2/2016 10:05 AM

Thanks Evan!

The last 6 months I have been trying to find the perfect hiking/backpacking boots.
    I have bought several pairs from ebay.
    The first pair was a pair of vintage Raichle, very heavy and solid. The downside is the lack of a tounge guessing. In the muddy terrain I hike, they are not worth the break in time due to this.
    The second pair is a Montrail Mazama. Excellent built and lighter than the Raichle. Still heavy though. They are a little small, so time will tell if they give enough to fit.
    The third pair is new Alico Summits from STP. Used them for 1 daytrip and they seem like the best so far. These are the lightest of the three pairs, but fit and build quality is very good.

Previous

Next
    HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralBoot NotesBoot Notes