Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralA Non-Slip Ground Cloth?A Non-Slip Ground Cloth?
Previous

Next
New Post
3/2/2015 7:01 PM

Ever since the Winter Gathering, I've been trying to figure out a good way to come up with a non-slip ground cloth, one where I don't slide all over Hell's half acre during the course of a night.

During the Gathering, I felt kind of bad because my sleeping spot in the SO-6 wasn't exactly level. SuperBadger did the best he could when he badgered around in there, digging out our spots. On top of my normal ground sheet (a small 2 man tent footprint), I would end up sliding toward the other dude in our tipi (steamboatsystema here on our forum). I'd end up slugging him in the head with my feet...although he stated that only let him know that he was still in the tipi and hadn't slid out, himself. Still, there's got to be a better way.

I've been researching different methods already tried...like painting stripes of silicon sealant on the ground cloth in order to "grab" the sleeping pad, but many say this just ends up grabbing a bunch of debris, dirt, and sticks.

I then thought about bonding a sheet of thin rubber, a piece of a GI wool blanket, or nylon fabric mesh to the upside of the ground cloth...but that would add a lot more weight, and also begs the question "why not just lay on top of the rubber sheet by itself?"

So, I am now thinking about spraying Plastidip on the coated upside of my ground cloth.  It is flexible, non-slip, and durable.  A couple coats should provide plenty of grip, I think.  I don't need to worry about the underside, as that I can stake that down with small pegs at each corner.  I carry big pegs for the tipi anyway, so 4 more small ones won't kill me...and I'm not a pack-weight Nazi, anyway.

Has anybody else out there tried something similar, or do you have a whole other idea?  I definitely want to have a better ground cloth system figured out by the next Winter Gathering.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
3/4/2015 4:17 PM

Throw a closed cell foam pad underneath your inflatable and do away with the ground sheet. Extra R-value and non-slip surface on both sides. Or go with one of those fancy thin pads like some of the ultra-lighters use. I think it might be ensolite? They use it in thicknesses down to 3/8" IIRC

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
3/4/2015 5:07 PM

Its Evazote foam. I had one at one point and it is pretty light.

http://gossamergear.com/thinlight-insulation-pads.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Excuse me while I whip this out.

New Post
3/4/2015 6:06 PM

Thanks gents.  I have foam pads all around the garage...z-rests, ridge rests, GI, and such.  I used to have an ultralight alpinist model with a reflective coating on the topside that I bought in Austria years ago.  It worked pretty well...but finally gave up the ghost.  I had been using a ground cloth a bit recently because of the little bit of "mini-floor" it provides in my tipi.  I may give one of those Gossamer Gear ones a try.  Cheers! 

Edit...scratch that...just saw that the Gossamer Gear ones are too short for me....I want full length if I'm gonna get another pad.  Nice idea, though.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
3/29/2015 9:45 AM

I wonder how a yoga or pilates mat would do? They're fairly cheap and usually come in long enough to cover. Would be worth checking your local sporting goods store to see what they have.

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
5/10/2015 5:45 AM

I have an Exped Multimat that folds out to 40" or so. Its made up of a light nylon laminated to a thin and "denser" closed cell foam. Its very nice for winter camping, but has the bulk of a thermarest when rolled up. I think I'm going to cut mine up for minimal torso and sit pads.
I also have a "Nato kip mat"? that orgami folds into a phone book sized block, and fits into a slot in the "Nato mountain pack"? to act as a frame sheet. I got mine at Maine Military Supply ages ago, and I think their pretty rare now in the States.

New Post
5/14/2015 11:47 AM

I purchased a sheet of 1/8" Volara foam off EBay for $14. Trimming to fit, I now have a 30x40 ground pad, that fits in the back slot of a Tarahumara, along with a sportsmanship blanket.

New Post
5/30/2015 4:58 PM

I have found that if you apply seal sealer, the brush on type with silicon, in strips across the ground cloth it will grip most slippery things like a sleeping pad.

Worth a try and very economical.

New Post
10/11/2015 4:57 PM

I've come up with another invention to meet my needs out in the hills.  I ended up building my non-slip ground cloth out of mil-spec Hypalon, that I bought off of eBay.  It turned out just like I wanted, but weighs more that I'd hoped....about 3 lbs. and change.

I can justify the weight penalty of it (for me) because I designed it to be able to do a few other tasks.  Although I like to keep things light, I'm certainly not a "Weight-Nazi".

I designed it bigger than I had originally intended, and I can always cut it down shorter later on if I decide to.  Currently the dimensions are 108" x 43".  This will give me lots of room for my sleeping pad and extra winter-type gear on top of it.  I am pretty certain that this Hypalon will not slip around on snow...and it's most definitely waterproof.  

In its current incarnation, I plan for this piece to do the following things for me:

1) Non-slip, waterproof winter ground cloth

2) Waterproof cover for gear (partially folded) overtop of my gear while running my pulk sled

3) Emergency stretcher, either by using 1" tubular nylon through the grommets as handholds, or by attaching cut wooden poles

4) Water catch, by running cordage through all of the grommets, cinching it up, and hanging it

5) Acacia thorn-proof ground cloth for future trips to Africa.

6) Other uses I haven't thought of yet

New Post
10/11/2015 5:51 PM

I wonder how long that thing would last if you tried to drag a casualty in it?  Sort of a super LW Phantom Litter.  I have one of those Cabela's "Deer Sleighs" around here somewhere I think.  If I can locate it, I'll weight it.

New Post
10/11/2015 6:04 PM

I reckon it'd do okay in an emergency situation.  I wouldn't want to use it for that practice a lot, but would if I had to. Over grass or sand...no problem.  I am going to see how it does at some point used in a high-angle situation with roped rescue. We have a casualty mannequin at work that weighs as much as an adult male...so that will be good to try things out.

New Post
10/11/2015 6:44 PM

As a weight comparison since I'm going over how to justify carrying it in the backcountry for at least winter trips, it weighs less than my Ute, about the same as a number of sub-zero sleeping bags.

I plan to give it some testing during a trip in the Blue Ridge Mountains week after next.

New Post
10/11/2015 10:20 PM

What about an original space blanket? 8 or 12 oz, might be a bit on on the slippery side but it is my go to ground cloth.

New Post
10/12/2015 5:28 AM

I've tried and used many different types, including a space blanket.  Not robust enough and way too slippery for me.

New Post
10/12/2015 6:01 AM

Going by your multi use list, a canvas shelter half might be a reasonable alternative, if you dont mind the stink.

New Post
10/12/2015 6:14 AM

Yep...I considered that...partly for the nostalgic aspect.  A shelter half wouldn't actually be too bad.  I also thought about using a de-constructed camp cot from Gander Mountain, which also is made of a treated nylon-backed canvas, but it was just way too bulky and heavy.  A GI shelter half could be fine for a number of uses.

New Post
5/23/2016 9:51 PM

Digging this up again. Another product that might work well, certainly from a puncture/ abrasion protection perspective is Turtle Skin. They use it in gloves and some riot armor for LEO's etc... It's rated to stop a 28ga needle which I think we would keep most anything out you'd find in the hills, might even be tough enough to keep the acacia out. I haven't been able to find it as just raw fabric anywhere but someone else might be able to get their hands on some.

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralA Non-Slip Ground Cloth?A Non-Slip Ground Cloth?