Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralRehydration  bladders vs CanteensRehydration bladders vs Canteens
Previous

Next
New Post
4/23/2013 2:04 PM

The platys are nice and light, but are the most prone to seam failures out of all the bladders I've used.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
8/16/2013 9:39 AM

Stumbled on this thread after doing a search for hydration systems (sorry if I should have just started a new thread).  I've been re-thinking my method of carrying water since I've never really been sold on the camelbak durability, just used them for the convenience.

I know I'll at least have one rigid bottle (most likely Kleen Kanteen...unless you guys can recommend something better that I can boil in if needed), and need the ability to carry at least a couple more liters with me.

So if bladders and Platy's aren't the best option, then what is the preferred/most reliable way to carry extra water?

New Post
8/16/2013 10:58 AM

My go to water containers are the GI 1qt style and I prefer the ones from Nalgene since they are clear. If I want more water I use the 1.5qt Nalgenes. I dislike the shape, but haven't found anything better in that size. If smaller I use some bicycle water bottles. Lately I have been using some from camelback because the are a bit bigger and don't taper so they hold more water. Again not a huge fan of the round shape, but they are what's available. During the winter I will carry a smaller hydroflask for hot liquids, but I don't boil in it just use to hold the fluids as it does a phenomenal job of keeping hot or cold. I have a large one for car camping or pulk camping.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/16/2013 11:46 AM

Do those have the "standard" mouth openings that would work with a Sawyer queeze filter (used either in-line or direct attach)?  I could always have a separate "dirty bag" that I use to direct attach the filter to and squeeze the water through the Sawyer and into the canteen, but then it goes back to the bladder/bag durability question.

If you had to go with a bladder/bag, which one is the safer bet for durability?

New Post
8/16/2013 12:28 PM

The 1.5 quarts have a standard mouth, but I dislike it as it is a pain for drinking from and pouring. I much prefer the smaller mouth, which is another reason why I dislike most Nalgenes.   I don't use a sawyer squeeze filter, and have never even handled one so I can't tell you if they will work or not.  I have never been a fan of the direct attach filters as I find them awkward and harder to use.

I don't trust any bladder, and won't use one.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/16/2013 12:35 PM

Ironman8 wrote

If you had to go with a bladder/bag, which one is the safer bet for durability?

MSR and Source have the best reputation for durability in that order. I've had an example of each fail me, but do concur that they are more reliable than the others.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
8/16/2013 1:18 PM

Thanks for the replies, both of you.

By "standard" mouth I mean same thread/size as your standard .5L water bottle from any store.  After looking at it, it doesn't seem to be the same size.

I'll have to look up the MSR and Source bladders.  I'm fairly set on going with either the Sawyer Squeeze or one of their other small filters...it's just a matter of finding the most reliable and painless way to make the system work.

New Post
8/17/2013 9:02 PM

I've been taking an MSR Dromedary along with me lately, it has a cordura shell and I haven't broken it yet. Just been using it as a convenient carrying method that fits nicely in the Tara back pocket.

BLACK

New Post
9/11/2013 12:47 AM

I use a Geigerrig 100 oz bladder and have yet to see it fail.  I don't throw it around or anything, but it's been very handy thus far.  I like that you pump up the bladder with an air hose, so water squirts into your mouth instead of having to work to get water when you're already  huffing and puffing at 10k feet elevation.  

It's probably not the lightest bladder out there, but I ditched all my Camelbak bladders because of it.  If you use a Katadyn Hiker Pro, it comes with a nozzle for the outlet tube that plugs directly into the drink tube port.  You don't have to remove your bladder from the pack, just unplug the drinking tube, plug in the filter tube, and fill the bladder.  

It's a fold-top design, so when you want to clean it, open the bag up, reach inside and grab the end, flip it inside out, and stick it on the top rack of your dishwasher.  Easy peasy.  I'm surprised that more people aren't using them.

New Post
9/11/2013 10:55 AM

Jermzzzzzzz wrote
Anyone use the Platypus water containers and are they good to go?

I mostly drink from a 70oz Platypus, gingerly laid sideways in the top of my pack.  The way I waterproof my "have to stay dry" gear, a leaky bladder would be a minor issue.  I've never had a leak.  With prolonged use you'll start to see hairline cracks in the outer layer.  Replace it then.  I carry an unused Platypus patch kit.  I usually carry two qt. gatorade bottles as well.  This allows me to tank up late in the day and not have to camp near water.

New Post
9/11/2013 3:28 PM

I'm of the "mixed breed" because I have a love/hate relationship with bladders as well.  I much prefer to drink from my bottles or canteen and prefer to have a pack with pockets I can reach to retrieve and replace the bottles or canteens as I go.  However bottles and canteens are very heavy so I also have a 3L Platypus with a regular cap (not a drinking hose or valve) that I keep inside my pack to refill my canteen or bottle.

New Post
2/8/2016 10:33 AM

I figured it was worth necro-posting in this thread, since it's one of the linked reference threads.

i used both but my Camelbak bladder hasn't seen a lot of use. I mostly use Kleen Kanteen 40 oz. stainless bottles.

I also have and use a USGI 2 quart bladder canteen. It gets used a few times a year and has never leaked. I bought it in 1985 at the Ft. Indiantown Gap PX when I was attending a Civil Air Patrol encampment. The rubber has not deteriorated at all in 31 years (I have kept it away from extended UV exposure). Back in the '80s when I was on CAP SAR exercises, I even used it as a pillow.

Dave Markowitz

New Post
2/9/2016 11:18 PM

My Geigerrig still works although i swap it out with the camelbak bladder every once in a while. I still think the Geigerrig is the bees knees, mostly because you pressurize it to spray water. Makes drinking easier when you're huffing and puffing.

New Post
3/14/2016 10:54 AM

I actually just sent Evan and email about this topic (asking if two small Gatorade bottles would fit in a HPG canteen pouch). In the past, and last year on my Appalachian trail *attempted* thru hiker I started off using bottles, but the Gregory z55 pack I used didn't have a pocket that I could get to, I would have to take my pack off to get to a bottle, or just ask one of my hiking partners to hand me my water (needless to say that every time we were in an outfitters they would be giving me hints or just beging me to get a bladder) I eventually bought a Platypus 2L bladder with hydration tube in Gatlinburg. At first I absolutely loved it....until I didn't. My pack was always packed so tight and it was always so full ( I thought I had to keep up with everyone else's base weight and/or strategy, then I realized that I outweigh most hikers by more than 100lbs and also had a few inches on them too) but after the first fill up of the morning, I got to a point to where I would intentionally under hydrate myself because I had to unpack about 4/5th's of my bag to get the bladder out of its designated pocket, and get it back in. So this year I am taking the bladder and hydration hose, but not to use whIle hiking. I am. Going to fill it up at night and hang it, for cooking and cleaning water. I have started to notice that not very many thru-hikers use bladder systems, but this is mainly because the smart water bottles fit perfectly to the sawyer water filters AND only weigh about 1oz empty. I plan on carrying two of the 20oz Gatorade bottles full while hiking (the AT is different than a lot of hiking trails because water is readily available most of the time.) Another problem I had while using the bladder was that I never knew when I was running low on liquids, which could have turned into a very dangerous situation if I was to pass up on an opportunity to refill, and there wasn't another water area for 8miles.

So back to nettles I go this year, but luckily I will be using a HPG Ute, with Tara pocket and a runners kit bag.... this year I will make it the entire way, and certain people and gear companies will know that they were a big part of my/our success!

God Bless America
Alex "platypus" Gauf
Platypug2016blog.wordpress.com

New Post
3/14/2016 12:36 PM

I have been using a Source tube which fits a variety of different bottles. With this I get the toughness of bottles with the convenience of a bladder sip tube. It has worked out great for me with the light weight stainless bottles I use. I just switch the tube to a new bottle when needed.

New Post
3/27/2016 3:18 PM

Hi
I use a salomon 2L water bladder for my Umlindi and it works ok.
But I would like something more low in profile (thikness). I am thinking a lager bladder that will use the room that is available in the Umlindi inside sleeve next to the framesheet.
Anyone tried the 4L MSR Dromedary with the Umlindi? Or any other recommandations that fits the Umlindi perfect?
Thanks!

New Post
3/28/2016 11:23 PM

I have limited experience with the bladders because I found them to be leak prone and a pain to clean.  I have used USGI canteens for over 25 years (some of them were made in the early 70's and still gong strong)  have never had a leak.  I even have one still in service that was lightly gnawed on by a costal brown bear in Alaska.  The shape fits into my packs very well, fitting in the same space a cylindrical type bottle that is half the capacity takes up.  They work for me and I think they are one of the best pieces of USGI kit out there.

New Post
3/29/2016 12:28 PM

My "improved" Camelbak 2L is now leaking in two different places. Probably used it 30 times. Connectors in both cases I think. But really, who cares where and why it is leaking? None of my bottles are leaking. The one I got from First Spear is still working though. Hopefully that will continue, as there are some circumstances where I want one.

New Post
3/29/2016 1:25 PM

I have not had any leakage from my salomon 2L bladder.
Canteens are great and I usually have both with me.
But after I started using a bladder, I drink more water and are generally less dehydrated.
Of course this have to do with the drinking habits. The bladder just works great for me :)

Just ordered this bladder and hoping it will fit better (lower profile) in the umlindi than the Salomon.

http://sourcetacticalgear.com/tactical-hydration-systems/82-wlps-3l.html

New Post
3/29/2016 11:17 PM

Jeeze Evan, I don't know what you do to those things... The only "failure" I've had is a leaky mouthpiece after chewing through it, I'd consider that normal wear and tear. If Osprey hadn't changed the size of their hoses and not had replacement parts available It'd still be in action. I've even gone over the bars on my bike and landed pretty squarely on my pack with a full bladder and never had a failure.

That being said mountain biking is really the only time I use a bladder anymore, it's just the most efficient way to hydrate in that case. The easy access of a bottle on the prairie belt has kept me hydrated plenty. As long as you're regular with drinking water and supplementing with the electrolytes of your choice on longer trips in most cases there shouldn't be any issues. I will be getting a Source bladder to throw in either my Tara or my Osprey once I can get out on more long rides that put me past just a bottle on the bike.

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralRehydration  bladders vs CanteensRehydration bladders vs Canteens