Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralHand Held RadioHand Held Radio
Previous

Next
New Post
2/28/2016 7:22 PM

Looking to buy two or three hand held two way radios. Anything with a 1-2 mile range would be fine. Main purpose would be back country and rural use. FRS is fine with me as long as they are rugged/dependable. Have had some in the past that didn't seem to hold up very well.  Would prefer to not/not have to get a license unless it is just a fill out a form type of thing (saw an earlier thread talking about hand held ham radios)

Appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

New Post
3/18/2016 4:21 PM

For our Neighborhood Watch and CERT team we purchased used ICOM F3, 2-watt VHF portables, and had these programmed for the shared Multi-Use Radio Service channels on 151.82, 151.88, 151.92, 154.57 and 154.60 Mhz. No license is required, and you can use a coax adapter to connect the portable to a vehicle magnetic mount or elevated base station antenna for greater range. Performance is similar to a portable marine band VHF. We bought ours from Red Dog Radios in Colorado, 303-652-9494. Cost was $110 each. These are professional grade radios which meet Mil-Std-810CDE for shock, vibration and environmental exposure. If you have a ham license they can program 2-meter repeater or simplex in these 32-channel radios also.

New Post
3/28/2016 11:30 PM

Getting a tech license is easy and opens up a world of possibilities, especially with repeaters. I can talk over 100 miles away with an handheld on a repeater. The Baofeng handhelds are very cheap and versatile, but a bit of a pain to program. I would go with an inexpensive midland FRS/GMRS bubble pack. If I wanted to avoid a license I would stay on the FRS frequencies, although plenty of 'bubble pack Pirates' talk on GMRS without proper licensing.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralHand Held RadioHand Held Radio