Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralTick ClothingTick Clothing
Previous

Next
New Post
3/17/2016 4:37 AM

Won't be long and the ticks will be back out in force. The last few years they have gotten bad enough in the areas I frequent that I'm considering purchasing some protective clothing for summer use. On one trip to the ID high country I seriously doubt there was more than a 5 minute lull in tick "finds."
I've heard Rynoskin garments mentioned before, and I've checked it out. The reviews seem mostly favorable. Looking at pictures of the Rynoskin I can't help but wonder if something such as Under Armor heat gear wouldn't work just as well???
Thoughts on this? Are there other clothing products out there that do the same thing?
Thanks.

New Post
3/17/2016 7:19 AM

Never used Rhinoskin.  Soaking my clothing in Permethrin works for me.  If you're walking in brush, even if your pants have been treated, you  still need to tuck your pant legs in the top of your boots.  Wearing a tee-shirt tucked into your pants helps ward them off as well.  A boonie hat helps.  Basically the Army's wear of the uniform protocol from the Vietnam era.

New Post
3/17/2016 7:27 AM

I've used Permethrin as well and had good luck with it. The get pretty bad here in MO and are hard to avoid since most timber is choked with undergrowth. I generally follow Take-a-knee's approach. Tuck in t-shirt, wear something with long sleeves, tuck in pants or tape them down (my wife loves it when I start taping my pant legs to my boots because it makes me look cool and sexy).

Then I spray the crap out of myself with 98% Deet.

I may develop a giant tumor but it won't be from a tick bite! LOL

New Post
3/17/2016 7:02 PM

Last year was my first year using permethrin and I also had great results. I guess maybe another question is whether or not a rynoskin type undergarment in addition to the permethrin is worth the expense?

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralTick ClothingTick Clothing