Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralPack MaintenancePack Maintenance
Previous

Next
New Post
7/4/2015 1:30 PM

What are some recommendations and lessons learned for cleaning and keeping a pack in good repair from season to season? 

I am not delicate on gear and some of my packs get pretty gunked-up and mucky after a season.  Zippers wear, holes develop, buckles break, pull tabs come apart.  They get soaked in sweat, dust, mud, blood, and dog drool. 

How do you wash your pack inside and out?  Hose it off in the shower?  Laundry mat in a big wash bag? 

What do you do to keep the zippers in good working order?   How do you repair on if it breaks?

How do you repair buckles or cams that are sewn?

How do you patch or repair worn areas or holes?

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
7/6/2015 10:31 AM

I run bags that need cleaning through the washing machine and then air dry. That's usually enough for the zippers. There's also some zipper lubricant you can get that I haven't used. On a tent zipper that was on it's last legs I used some lithium grease because I had it sitting around. If a zipper slider gets off track and it's a coil zipper sometimes it will heal itself if you force the slider past the problem and then re-zip. For the most part once a zipper goes you're looking at replacement.

Buckles are easy - ITW repair buckles are pre-slotted to slip through webbing tabs and are just as tough as the un-slotted ones. For the most part, all HPG gear uses pre-slotted buckles instead of normal ones. That way you can switch for different buckles if you want and also scavenge on a pack if you have a problem in the field.

For holes or a worn area, I place a patch on the inside and then sew around the perimeter of the damage. You can finish it out by painting silicone over the outside of the repair or just leave it alone.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
7/6/2015 11:25 AM

Exactly what I was looking for!!! Thank you!

In the wash they go....

Do you have a preferred seller for the ITW repair buckles?

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
7/6/2015 12:02 PM

supply captain is good. if you can't find what you need, hit me up.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
2/22/2016 4:40 AM

I was thinking of using silicon spray (Kiwi Camp Dry) on the cordura. Any ecperience with that?
From my diving days I remember that we rubbed the drysuite zippers with beeswax from the pharmacy.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralPack MaintenancePack Maintenance