Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralStove Jack InstallStove Jack Install
Previous

Next
New Post
8/12/2010 5:52 PM

This thread is for discussing stove jack installs in GoLite and other shelters. If you haven't, please read the instruction page first (located under "free resources" in the menu at top).

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
8/13/2010 10:09 AM

Evan, I'm going to try this stove jack mod on an SL-4. Isn't silnylon much more flammable than other tent fabrics? Do you treat your tent with a flame retardant?

New Post
8/13/2010 10:21 AM

Evan,

Thanks for the link from Kifaru, I imagine you're quite busy with the site and such but was wondering if you could recommend someone to do the mod? don't really want to hand stitch everything as I have no sewing machine, I imagine most any professional sewer could do the basic work?

Thanks,

Christopher

New Post
8/13/2010 1:04 PM

Burning your shelter down --

Lots of folks have been using stoves in silnylon shelters with no problems. Kifaru shelters don't have a flame retardant finish. Here's a personal observation that might allay your concerns. In the SL4 pictured in the guide, there is a smallish pinhole with browned edges. Probably 3-4mm across. It was clearly the result of a spark that fell down on the shelter when the stove was running with no spark arrestor screen. The pinhole might be as large as it is because the fabric burned out a little bit, but more likely it was just a larger spark. In any event, it certainly didn't catch the shelter on fire.

Who can do the mod --

This can be done by any local sewer. In fact, it is pretty easy compared to doing a clothing alteration of any kind. Probably on par with hemming a pair of pants in difficulty. Just make certain that they are using 69 pound thread. Go buy the thread yourself in whatever color you want (remember, sold as upholstery thread, ~$3). Hand them the thread when you commission the job.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
8/15/2010 9:49 AM

I wonder if a parastove would be adequate to knock the chill off? I usually won't be out when it's below 40 or so. I have a med kif that does fine for us in the 8-man kif. Looking now for a small stove but I have a line on a parastove...

New Post
8/15/2010 12:04 PM

So far, I've only run a Kifaru medium in the SL4. Plenty of stove to spare in that case.

Ed Tenich, designer of the current Kifaru stove, reports using a Kifaru small in the SL4 at 0 degrees F with one other person. They had to keep it really cranked but it did keep the shelter fairly warm. Ed comments that a medium would have been better at that temperature.

So, stepping all the way down to a parastove but raising the outside temperature by 40 degrees (or more), I expect a parastove would be enough to knock the chill off. It's also all relative. If you're accustomed to being in shirtsleeves inside regardless of the outside temperature, you might have a different expectation than someone who is just experiencing a heated shelter for the first time.

New Post
8/15/2010 2:25 PM

I'm in Central VA and don't get out in extreme temps.

Yeah, I guess it's all apples and frozen oranges. I am waiting for my SL4 so I will be able to experience the size and consider the stove size. I have a med kifaru but I think there will be times when we will be using both the SL4 and the Kif-8. Both will need stoves.

Probably a small is going to give me more options...

New Post
8/15/2010 3:31 PM

Hey have you experienced both the Kifaru and TiGoat stoves? The smalls are about the same price so was wondering if one is better than the other...

New Post
8/15/2010 7:54 PM

No experience with the TiGoat. Kifaru is the original...

New Post
8/16/2010 1:23 PM

I ask about the TiGoat for 2 reasons. Titanium should be stronger and lighter. It has a damper.

Maybe having such a small box, a damper is just silly, but it seems like a good idea to me...

New Post
8/16/2010 1:37 PM

By "Kifaru is the original", I meant that TiGoat got their start by blatantly copying Kifaru designs and even started their initial marketing on the Kifaru forums until they were banned. Since then, they've made their own improvements and done some of their own designs. This may or may not influence your decision to do business with them.

Be that as it may, look on 24hourcampfire (backpacking section) for discussion of Kifaru versus TiGoat stoves. In particular, look for posts by Ed T and Woods Walker. You can also initiate a thread there if you don't find what you're looking for. Both of those guys have lots of stove knowledge and experience with both stoves. DIY dampers are easy and have also been discussed there. In a Kifaru stove, replace one of the screens with a piece of stainless or ti shaped exactly the same. Modulate damping by how far you slide it into the collar.

New Post
8/16/2010 3:08 PM

Thanks, I started a thread on 24 but was probably in the wrong section.

I've heard that TiGoat copied Kifaru. I don't think I've heard that TiGoat is not as good to work with though. I guess there's probably a lot of practices that go on that we might find underhanded in business. I don't know the whole story so I can't judge.

Anyway, there's a lot of collapsible stoves on the market, and TiGoat looks like a good one, maybe with some improvements over Kifaru.

I'll check around over on 24 to see what they say. Thanks!

Hey, my SL4 came today. Now it gets interesting...

New Post
8/19/2010 9:21 AM

Hey, what kind of silicon are you using to mix with mineral spirits? Where do you get it?

Also, I'm getting a Kifaru small stove but they no longer sell a stove jack separately. I can get one from Wall Tent, or Outfitter's Supply or TiGoat. I guess I want an oval for the pitch of the SL4. But do I want a 4" or 5"?

Thanks,
Randy

New Post
8/20/2010 8:52 AM

For the stove jack, just see Evan's instructions here. You don't need a pre-made one from TiGoat and this way it will fit better to boot.

New Post
8/20/2010 9:18 AM

What do you mean? Evan says he used a kifaru stove jack (that they no longer sell,) and in another case a jack from another tent.

Instead of telling me what not to get, could you suggest what I should get?

Sorry, I may be a little thick...

New Post
8/20/2010 12:25 PM

Sorry I didn't get to this yesterday.

To clarify, I've never used a pre-made stove jack. Unless somebody was making one that laid on the seams of the shelter I was putting the jack on, it would be useless to me. I think that's pretty important. I've gotten material from Kifaru a couple of different times. A few years ago, it was just a roll of material. Most recently, it was a roll of material with some velcro and edge binding thrown in. I guess this was the kit they were selling. Either way, you'd want to use the pattern I include for an SL4 for maximum strength. The jack I mention getting from another tent was one I'd patterned for that tent and made out of a blank roll of material. I mistakenly put it lower down on the side of that tent so when I needed one on the SL4, I just cut that one out and repurposed it.

The silicon I just get from the hardware store. I don't remember the brand. It says 100% silicon on it and says something like "for home, auto, and marine use".

New Post
8/21/2010 8:50 AM

Thanks, I'm still figuring this out. Sorry to ask such dumb questions.

So, since Kifaru no longer sells the fabric, where would I find it and more importantly, what would I get?

This site seems to have a lot of options at good prices:

http://welding-blankets.com/

New Post
8/25/2010 5:37 PM

So, guys check this out.

I can get an 18oz bronze silica blanket with 1800*F working temp and 3000* melt temp for $54 shipped (6' square blanket)

Or I can buy a boot from Ti for $40 plus shipping.

I think I'll order the blanket. It's not coated though, maybe I can coat it with the silicon seam sealer... or is it real flammable? Probably melts and smokes.

What do you think?

I could still get a silicon coated 24oz blanket for like $30 but it has a much lower flash point with the coating.

I guess I'm trying to find out what the material is you have been using.... Do you know?

New Post
8/25/2010 5:52 PM

I'm not really sure what the material is that I've purchased from Kifaru before.

I've only coated seams away from the jack, and not the fabric itself. The fabric is waterproof. I don't think it is coated with anything.

The blanket you're talking about sounds like a good call to me. Maybe talk to the seller and ask them about the way they intend to use it. They might be able to tell you exactly what "stove jack" material is. If you find out, let us know...

New Post
8/25/2010 7:07 PM

Thanks Evan

I'm going to take a chance on this stuff. I have a feeling it will be pretty water resistant. I've used welding blankets before and they can get wet though, so we'll see.

BTW I don't know who these guys are that are selling it but I got to them through Amazon, so they're probably alright.

http://store.cyberweld.com/tihedusiwebl.html

I'll for sure let you know about it.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralStove Jack InstallStove Jack Install