Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGMountain SerapeMountain Serape
Previous

Next
New Post
12/24/2011 12:49 PM

Cool picture!

I stuff my Serape inside my Tara, along with the other stuff I have in there. If I didn't do that, I'd probably just compress it rolled up under the two horizontal compression straps on the back of the Tara.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
12/25/2011 2:41 PM

Serape info  -  Stuff sack that holds the HPG Mtn Serape.

One stuff sack that holds the Serape is made by Sea to Summit.

The model is listed as "Ultra Sil Stuff Sack".

Size is "S"(for "small", as far as I can tell), "6.5 liters".  Sea to Summit lists sizes of other bags from "XXS" through "XXL".

Sea to Summit lists the diameter at 6.5 inches, with a height of 12 inches.

The fit apprears to be pretty close.  Not much more compression available once the Serape is in the sack.

What's working for you?

Best wishes for the holidays.

New Post
12/26/2011 4:48 PM

This is a very interesting piece of back country gear. Having hunted many a Moose swap and sat on its edge before first light or last light and felt varying degree's of discomfort from the cold, I think this serape would come in real handy and allow one to extend their still hunt longer before they have to get up and get the blood moving again.

I think it would have been real handy on the Mtn. Goat hunt I was on this past fall. Once up over 8000 ft. the chill set in pretty quick once I stopped moving. I had to dig out warmer layers pretty damn quick. One of these would have filled the role quite nicely. In fact, I am pretty sure I would have stayed up there longer!

For wet weather conditions, I think if one combined the serape with a USGI rain poncho, you could be pretty comfortable for extended periods of time.

I will be monitoring the use reports and feedback as it comes in, but I have already added one to my list of must haves.

New Post
12/27/2011 5:06 PM

I've got both the 10L and 15L REI brand "lightweight" stuff sacks for my Serape.

The 10L is pretty tightly stuffed, and the 15L is somewhat loose. I believe Evan stows both his Serape AND Patagonia micropuff pants into an REI 10L stuff sack. 

I tend to prefer a less tightly stuffed stuff sack, as it allows the contents to mold inside the pack making more efficient use of space, as opposed to a rock hard chunk that doesn't compress or expand to fill space.

New Post
12/29/2011 10:11 PM

scothill wrote

Incidently, while we where taking some side by side pictures of both a foliage and coyote serape this morning so folks have a good idea of how they blend with different backgrounds it was discovered that two serapes will in fact zip together into one large bag, or one giant blanket. Pretty cool for those with a significant other you want to share some body heat with or someone with several kids to slip into it.

Pictures will be posted as soon as we get a chance.

Oh what a life saver. This will help in me getting not only one now but two for the wife and I. It's always easier to get something when you can give the wife the line, "Well we can cuddle more if we're both under the same blanket"

New Post
1/1/2012 3:17 AM

Hi guys,

first post around here... Already had a Kit Bag a while ago... Didn't get to use it as much as I'd like though...

Got me a Tarahumara Pack and a Serape this week. Once more Hill People Gear delivers! There's not a single product in the range which doesn't have an intelligent and proper purpose! Everything is designed for a reason when many "new brands" just bring out copies of old ideas.

Back to the Serape... I've been a huge fan of the poncho liner with a hood concept. I'm not often going out in "Arctic" conditions and for me that kind of piece, a Afghan wool blanket and a good Goretex Bivy Bag cover most my needs. But the Mountain Serape is a huge step ahead from everything I've been using so far!

What did I did as soon as I've received it? Slept in it on my own bed! LOL I was that in a hurry to test it a bit! 

Just for info but it won't be a huge surprise, it doesn't fit Kifaru small 3 String Bag: https://www.kifaru.net/stuffsack.html It's not a suprise as the Large is supposed to fit the Woobie which is I guess +/- the size of the Serape. I'll guess I'll have to get one.

The only thing I'll have to test on the long run is the resistance of the Mountain Serape to compression cycle (which is the case with any synthetic filled items)... But so far that piece fill in so many possibilities that I'm really happy with it!

Best regards,

Rod

New Post
1/11/2012 5:06 PM

Hi folks, first post here. I did some non scientific temperature testing with the serape to determine how much it might increase the temperate rating of my sleeping bag. Based on knowing a little about insulation, and having made a couple syn quilts before, I guessed it would be about 30 degrees.

Serape Field Observations: Totally non scientific observation as an overbag

Night time temps: Teens

Testing Method: 3 Thermometers (inside bag, outside temp and between the serape and sleeping bag )

Here is what I found

- With the serape footbox formed and fairly tightly around the end of my sleeping bag I measured the temperature between the serape and sleeping bag at ~30 degrees above the outside temperature. I measured this several times. This is pretty close to what I would expect. To get more warmth over the entire range I would recommend putting the zipper underneath to help hold down the serape more as a quilt over your bag.

- With the Serape, just loosly laid out as a quilt, I measured about a 12 -15  degree difference. I did not do this for long (20 minutes) as it was getting time to get up, so take it for what it is worth.

Based on that experience, I would guess the serape, when used as an overbag , with the footbox formed and zipper placed under the bag, so that both sides sort of cover the bag higher, and minimizing air infultration that you could get close to a 30 degree increase in rating.

Thanks

Kevin

http://www.seekoutside.com | sig added by EH... go check out Kevin's stuff!

New Post
1/11/2012 5:16 PM

Welcome Rod and Kevin.

Kevin, thanks for the test data.  For those who don't know, Kevin is the guy behind Seek Outside tipis, shelters, and stoves, and also a software engineer by trade -- so he has a very precise and analytical bent with regard to gear design and testing.

We always take pictures and video of the serape with the zipper visible in sleeping bag mode so it is clear what the design is. However, when actually using it either as a stand alone sleeping bag or overbag, I always put the zipper directly underneath me as Kevin suggests for maximum heat gain.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
1/11/2012 6:13 PM

I have been using my Serape inside my sleeping bag. Spent a night out last week with it inside my 40 degree bag and I wore my parka to bed also. Temps went from about 40(was raining) at bedtime to under 30(clear skies) middle of the night. I was plenty warm even though everything got soaking wet including all my clothes i had on when my 8 man blew over around midnight, but thats another story. Anyway,  going back to sleep after the fiasco i slept warm and woke up dry.

New Post
2/1/2012 7:09 AM

Any more colors in the works?  I've got a Serape in the budget for March, just didn't want to miss out if there is a mulit-cam or something in the works.  I like both colors available now, but don't want to feel like I ordered too soon! :)

New Post
2/1/2012 12:39 PM

At the quantities we're at right now, custom dye lots are out. So we have to source our fabrics from larger runs that are made for other things. That makes coyote easiest, foliage somewhat doable, and who knows on other colors. I will check into multicam, and we're also checking into fabric in the ODG patterns, which are fantastic. I like them much better than MC:

http://soldiersystems.net/2012/01/25/odg-statement-on-the-armys-camouflage-improvement-effort/

We're also in the middle of trying to transition to stateside production. Price will probably go up. Honestly, right now the Mountain Serapes are kind of on a "get them while you can at the price you can" basis. We're working hard to make sure there isn't a gap in availability, but there are lots of factors outside of our control.

New Post
2/1/2012 5:10 PM

If you can colab with ODG and produce Tara's, KB''s and Serape's in this camo- I would be all over that in a hearbeat. Wayyyy better than MC for my environment.

New Post
2/2/2012 10:50 AM

Is the insulation still going to be the  Primaloft fusion stuff ?

New Post
2/2/2012 1:27 PM

all of the same materials (which have always been made in the USA), same design, slightly different construction, and a tiny upgrade or two (like a double sided zipper pull on the main zipper).

New Post
2/3/2012 2:28 PM

Answered this question via email, and thought some other folks would be interested, or be able to contribute:

As I’m sure you’re aware, every design is a series of trade-offs.

In the case of the Mountain Serape shell material, we did briefly consider Fire Resistance. The problem was the weight of all of the FR shell materials we were aware of. I was most concerned with weight and compactness with the MS – an awesome FR MS does you no good whatsoever if you left it home because it didn’t quite make the weight and space cut. As it is, we ended up going with a more robust and useful shell material than earlier versions at the cost of almost a half a pound extra weight. I’m still not certain that even that was the right trade off.

Cost was also a consideration (although less so). We strive to make gear the “average guy” (whatever that is) can afford and use.  An awesome MS does you no good if you never bought it because you couldn’t swing it budget wise. Ideally of course, we’d offer a couple of similar options at different price and functionality points.

I will say that I’ve used the original Mountain Serape prototype for about 3 years now. *Lots* of open fire and woodstove use. You’ve got to be more careful than you would with a wool blanket, but I’ve never had any problems with either an open fire or woodstove. It does wear a melt spot due to an alcohol stove mishap. That doesn’t compromise functionality though.

If you’re aware of an FR shell material that is also DWR and available in the 1 – 1.6 oz per square yard range, that’s certainly something we’d consider incorporating.

New Post
2/8/2012 2:10 PM

evanhill wrote

all of the same materials (which have always been made in the USA), same design, slightly different construction, and a tiny upgrade or two (like a double sided zipper pull on the main zipper).

Evan, I am about ready to place my order that we discussed via email recently but now that I see your post, I am wondering if I should hold off a bit to get the newer upgraded Serape? What all kinds of upgrades are you planning? Also, any chance of getting a slightly larger version? I have a broad chest/shoulders and am concerned that I won't be able to fully close the serape when I use it as a sleeping bag / blanket. I have a similar product from Wild Things Tactical that measures 72x96 and at 72" wide it closes pretty well but there isn't much excess... Jason

New Post
2/8/2012 6:52 PM

Upgrades anticipated:

- double sided zipper pull to make it a little easier to manipulate under some circumstances

- insulation will be quilted to the inside of the shell only instead of all the way through. this theoretically results in a little bit more water resistance and maybe a tad more warmth. not sure it will make any real world difference, but there's no downside that I can see.

We've got the thing about as big as we can go. Going as wide as we did already drove up cost some because we can't cut to roll width.

"hold off a bit" - the only problem is that I honestly don't know what that means timewise. The first sample we got from the American factory had abysmal quality. So now instead of being ready to roll with them as anticipated it becomes a question of whether they can actually put out a quality product which they'll have to prove with another sample and meanwhile we'll continue to investigate other options. Our current supply is dwindling and it really looks like we'll be out of stock on them for longer than we want.

New Post
2/8/2012 7:50 PM

Evan,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will follow your advice and hold off a bit. Besides if the weather stays like this I probably won't need it until next Fall! But I am really looking forward to taking it hunting :)

JG

New Post
2/8/2012 8:28 PM

I am 6'3 and wear a 56 coat. I was concerned about the size, but the fit is fine and there is enough room for me in all configurations. How big a boy are ya? LOL.

New Post
2/9/2012 7:26 PM

I'm not as big as you are. But like I said, I have a Wild Things Tactical "woobie" and it measures 72" wide, and I'm just not sure that 66" will close as much as I'd like when I use the Serape as a Sleeping Bag. It's not going to deter me from purchasing it but it is a concern.

J

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGMountain SerapeMountain Serape