Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGMountain SerapeMountain Serape
Previous

Next
New Post
12/2/2014 2:15 PM

The serapes are a bit different in that unlike cordura FS doesn't keep the materials on hand for other products. What that means is we buy die lots of the ranger green to control color and consistency from run to run. MC is a bit different in that we can buy the original MC off the shelf. I don't know if the alpine MC is available off the shelf yet, but we would have to see a lot more demand to do a run. At this point we get 3 for 4 requests a year for a winter side. That is just not enough to drive a limited run.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
12/8/2014 7:01 PM

The insulation for the MS is listed as 2.4oz Primaloft Fusion. I cannot find any information for Primaloft Fusion anywhere online. Does anyone have the insulation values from Primaloft?

New Post
12/11/2014 3:54 PM

It's the domestically produced equivalent of Primaloft One. Values are the same.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
12/21/2014 10:24 AM

Is there a difference in weight or feel between the ranger green and multicam fabrics on the MS?

New Post
12/29/2014 10:04 PM

Hi guys,

Has a reversible serape ever been considered? For example multi cam one side and coyote tan on the other? I don't have the pleasure of owning one myself yet but based on the reviews I've watched it seems possible and would be an excellent feature. I did some searching but it came up dry, apologies if this has already been addressed.

EDIT: As I was, just realized what "rg inside" meant...

New Post
1/19/2015 4:48 PM

Our US manufacture just hit us with yet another price increase, and this time it is retroactive a couple of months. We are actively looking for a US alternative. We apologize.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/22/2015 11:25 PM

Does the MS require an outer shell in the event of heavy rain? What are owners doing under these circumstances? Thanks.

New Post
2/23/2015 6:33 AM

Yes it does. The Serape shells are water resistant not water proof. I personally use either an appropriately sized mountain parka (Event) or a Bivanorak.

New Post
3/13/2015 6:46 PM

I just bought a mountain serape. I haven't taken it out yet, but this thing is quality through and through. I am very, very happy with this purchase. I have a question about storage. I keep a BOB and I would like to keep this serape in the BOB 24/7. If I store the serape in an REI 20 liter bag (it's a pretty loose fit) permanently, will this somehow compromise the integrity of my serape? Thank you.

New Post
3/19/2015 5:05 PM

No, you're good to go in the 20 liter.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
3/20/2015 4:44 PM

Thank you.

New Post
4/1/2015 9:41 AM

I searched and could not find washing instructions. I wash my tara and kit bag in Nikwax wash. Are there any special wash instructions for the MS? I am assuming I can wash it in normal wash mode with regular detergent with cool water dry on tumble low.

New Post
4/1/2015 11:51 AM

Colefoz, that's correct. Except you want to dry on higher heat because that helps replenish DWR treatments. Also, I'd use a dye free detergent (such as All Free & Clear) for any outdoor garments. Being ex-mil, you're probably hip to that already. Never hurts to mention it though.

New Post
4/2/2015 8:17 AM

Thanks Evan, thinking about how I will use it I will wash it in low IR detergent.

New Post
4/12/2015 10:25 AM

I've had a MS for about 2 years now and it has exceeded my expectations. One of the more unusual uses I've found for it is as a blanket on over night international flights in cattle class. In great coat mode it doesn't slip off while your unconscious and there's no problem with the buckle being visible so the flight staff doesn't disturb you for a "belt check". As it's highly compressible, only a small carry on is needed.

Has anyone attempted to zip 2x MS' together in sleeping bag mode? I'm looking for a summer weight "duo" solution. I'm planning to try a USGI poncho liner on the bottom and a MS on top. My expectation is that because the coefficient of friction is so low between nylon shells, the MS will need to be secured to keep it from slipping off.

New Post
4/13/2015 11:53 AM

I am going to be working in the hills in Montana for three monthe and camping the entire time. I plan to use the MS with a Coleman fleece sleeping bag liner for the colder nights. I am so glad the MS zips the direction it does. Sometimes my feet get too hot and its great for venting.

New Post
4/13/2015 12:39 PM

dogma, 2 MS' zipped together is big enough for about 3 people. Lots of space.

New Post
4/15/2015 1:18 PM

evanhill wrote:
dogma, 2 MS' zipped together is big enough for about 3 people. Lots of space.

Do you have any photos of the testing process? haha

New Post
5/18/2015 11:59 AM

I just saw the picture of that new ODG LUPUS camo pattern and it looks great. Can a Mtn Serape be pre-ordered in this pattern?

New Post
5/18/2015 12:05 PM

Not at this time. We floated the idea of a run of Serapes in ODG's alpine pattern, but only heard from two folks they were interested. MC is a very strong seller, so we have not plans to abandon it as the primary pattern for camo Serapes. How the Taras in Lupus sell will really determine if we do other things, including more Taras. Given the way the fabric world works a ODG Serape would be a fair amount more expensive, and we are not sure if the market is there period or if it is there for a more expensive item.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGMountain SerapeMountain Serape