Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUmlindiUmlindi
Previous

Next
New Post
4/16/2013 1:39 PM

chop chop - trying to keep this one as simple and inexpensive as possible, like the Tarahumara. We did consider adding full Ute-style detailing -- zippered pocket and PALS on underside of lid, hypalon side scallops, hypalon shoulder strap and tensioner take-offs, etc. Decided to go the other way with it. It will take the Palspocket if you want that level of organization.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/16/2013 4:43 PM

Sounds good. I like the idea of simple but robust, and not being ridiculous in price. I can mod it if I really want, but the base must be a good foundation.

New Post
4/16/2013 6:01 PM

evanhill wrote

chop chop - trying to keep this one as simple and inexpensive as possible, like the Tarahumara. We did consider adding full Ute-style detailing -- zippered pocket and PALS on underside of lid, hypalon side scallops, hypalon shoulder strap and tensioner take-offs, etc. Decided to go the other way with it. It will take the Palspocket if you want that level of organization.

I think you guys made the right decision.

BTW, The new detail page looks great.  Thanks for keeping us informed!  Whenever you get the production models done, would you be able to put up a weight as well please?  Thanks.

spotfire wrote

Sounds good. I like the idea of simple but robust, and not being ridiculous in price. I can mod it if I really want, but the base must be a good foundation.

Agreed 100%.

New Post
4/16/2013 6:04 PM

evanhill wrote

I like that . Simple and inexpensive yet still quality product . I ordered the Snubby and the Tarahumara today , am ready for this pack to come out , I believe it will solve all of my problems .

New Post
4/16/2013 7:11 PM

this is probably the pack i have been waiting to find for years now, theres only one thing its missing small organizer but thats easly fixed on my end, the real plus to this is that its a smart top loading pack will true compression cant wait to get this in my hands.

New Post
4/18/2013 6:15 AM

Is it possible for a picture of the Lozi and Tara side by side for comparison?

New Post
4/18/2013 3:03 PM

Okkie - this is essentially a Tarahumara on the back of a Londolozi. Neither is fully loaded. They're both about 2/3rds full. I think it gives a pretty good idea of the relative sizes:

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/18/2013 3:08 PM

This probably shows better:

New Post
4/18/2013 5:19 PM

Thanks for adding the weight to the detail page. 

I keep opening that page hoping to see a "shop now" button. lol.

I picked up a C20M bag second hand (got it yesterday) to try out on an old coleman peak 1 frame that I have.  Based on the spec's (20"x11"x7.5" c20m vs. 19"x11"x6.5" lozi), this bag just confirmed that the Lozi is gonna be a good size for my use.

New Post
4/18/2013 9:27 PM

Forgive my ignorance, I don't own any HPG products yet but I will in the future.

Will the kit bags be able to dock with the Londolozi like with the Tarahumara?

New Post
4/19/2013 3:43 AM

Thank you, that helps.

New Post
4/19/2013 1:18 PM

sanitized wrote

Forgive my ignorance, I don't own any HPG products yet but I will in the future.

Will the kit bags be able to dock with the Londolozi like with the Tarahumara?

No worries. Depends on what you're talking about. The Kit Bags can dock to almost any pack from any maker like this (scroll down to "using lifter straps"):

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/InDetail/KitBags/tabid/922/Default.aspx

If you're talking about integrating the Kit Bag to the pack in a single running harness like this (scroll down to "rigging a running harness"):

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/InDetail/TarahumaraPack/tabid/927/Default.aspx

The answer is that you can do it, but we haven't tested that configuration and don't know how practical it is or isn't.

New Post
4/21/2013 9:41 PM

That is just what I needed to know.  I have been looking at the Tarahumara/Kit bag combo for a while and was just wondering if the additional space of the Londolozi set up in the same manner would be more beneficial to me.

New Post
4/22/2013 11:56 AM

We put a lot of thought into the naming of our gear. We like to use names that are traditional for an item, like the Serape, or reflective of a native people like the Ute and Tarahumara.

When we set out to name our new pack we wanted to reflect its use, where it will first be used, and the purpose of why it will be used by that group.  We fell in love with “Londolozi” because we felt it was a reflection of our personal beliefs on mankind’s role in wildlife management and that is not as a master or dominate, but rather as a protector or steward. It also reflected the native peoples of South Africa.

We chose the name knowing that it was also the name of a private game reserve in SA. We didn’t feel it would be a problem for several reasons. First we were clear from the front that there was no association, second we are not providing a competing product, third it can only drive internet traffic their way which would be good for their business, and finally we were helping to bring awareness to the issue of poaching. 

However, we have been approached by a representative of the reserve in question, who "asked" that we change the name as they want no association between the name of their reserve and hunting or anti-poaching activities. We feel that ethical, legal hunting is an essential part of conservation both in the US and abroad through both population management and the economic impact that hunting provides both on the local and national level, but we have decided to honor their request. We have renamed the pack the Umlindi, and ask that in any discussions you may have of the pack that you no longer call it the “Londolozi”. 

New Post
4/22/2013 6:33 PM

Cool I know its going to come up as question but whats umlindi 

New Post
4/22/2013 7:56 PM

Umlindi = Guardian or Watchman (in Zulu).

Still an appropriate name. :-)

New Post
4/25/2013 11:02 AM

A few questions about the frame/suspension detailing, in the context of compatibility with a non-HPG belt. 

Is the stay pocket sewn into the pack, or the framesheet?  If the former is the case, does the stay mount up via the lumbar pad as with the Ute?

How tall (top-bottom) is the lumbar pad?  That is, how tall a belt will fit?

Seems like this would be a great option for day hunting from a BC camp.  From the look of it the bottom compression straps are removable.  My thought here is that with a good belt and the stay and framesheet mounted, something like a Kifaru cargo chair could be used to haul a quarter back to camp in the process of retrieving my monster pack (which is light enough to day hunt with, but tall enough that I prefer not to).

New Post
4/25/2013 11:12 AM

DaveC wrote

A few questions about the frame/suspension detailing, in the context of compatibility with a non-HPG belt. 

Is the stay pocket sewn into the pack, or the framesheet?  If the former is the case, does the stay mount up via the lumbar pad as with the Ute?

How tall (top-bottom) is the lumbar pad?  That is, how tall a belt will fit?

Seems like this would be a great option for day hunting from a BC camp.  From the look of it the bottom compression straps are removable.  My thought here is that with a good belt and the stay and framesheet mounted, something like a Kifaru cargo chair could be used to haul a quarter back to camp in the process of retrieving my monster pack (which is light enough to day hunt with, but tall enough that I prefer not to).

The frame sheet with a single central stay is located in an interior pocket not two separate items (stay pockets and frame sheet) like on the Ute. The belt mounts a dual fold arrangement, which is pretty standard. It will take up to a ~5" tall belt.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/25/2013 7:59 PM

Sweet!

Looks awesome, guys. Any idea when it will be available?

New Post
4/26/2013 8:15 AM

We are pushing for sometime next month, but nothing firm yet, and that is our hoped for timeline.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUmlindiUmlindi