Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte BackpackUte Backpack
Previous

Next
New Post
10/20/2013 8:01 AM

Re: 

No....the stays aren't supposed to come out.  When you are routing the stays up through the webbing channels, as you are getting close to the top, carefully flex the pack and channel a bit.  The stay should then slip into a small pocket sewn into the end of the channel.

Hope that helps!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
10/20/2013 8:06 AM

Re: 

alpendrms wrote

No....the stays aren't supposed to come out.  When you are routing the stays up through the webbing channels, as you are getting close to the top, carefully flex the pack and channel a bit.  The stay should then slip into a small pocket sewn into the end of the channel.

Hope that helps!

Beat me to it! The channel webbing is turned over at the end and bartacked a couple of times to the horizontal webbing. You're aiming for the pocket created by the turned over end and accidentally slipped it in behind the horizontal.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/20/2013 8:31 AM

Re: 

Didn't mean to steal your thunder, Evan!  I thought maybe you and Scot might have still been out in the mountains.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
10/20/2013 11:46 AM

Re: 

Roger that.  I thought something was off. 

And I'd rather be off in the mountains    :-p   

New Post
11/11/2013 2:10 PM

Jurgen, did ypu import it by yourself, and as such, what were the importduties? Might want to get an Ute too.... best regards, Hans, Zwolle, Netherlands.

New Post
11/12/2013 2:11 PM

Scanning the site, i see the foliage harness can be orderd as a seperate, but it's verion 1, whereas coyote and ranger green are available in v2. I onderd if when ordering a complete Ute kit, this comes with a v1 harness or version 2? Much obliged:-)! Thanks, Hans. 

New Post
11/12/2013 3:24 PM

All products come with V2 harnesses. We've just got a couple stand alone V1 foliage harnesses we're trying to get rid of.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
11/28/2013 2:43 PM

Thank you for a wonderfullpack (received it today), and good of you to put the TACWRK link up for us Europeans:-)! Indeed my Tarahumara, bottle holders and lifter straps came from them a few days ago, Nice people there as well:-). The Mountain Serape takes the cake though, wow, what a product. I'll get a second one soon, keep up the good work! Kind regards to Brooke by the way, she was very friendly over email and went to work quickly. Dutch customs could learn a  thing or two form her!

New Post
12/8/2013 10:00 PM

Took the UTE out for a 3 day winter backpacking trip this weekend.  In about 15 years of backpacking and testing out several packs, NEVER have I had a pack that didn't at some time cause me some discomfort.  Of course, I knew I'd be impressed with the design, workmanship, etc., but I was not prepared for such a pleasurable carry of a 40 lb load.  Blew me away.  Keep up the great work guys.

Also, I have not purchased a tara or pals pocket yet, but I was able to hook up a MOLLE II waistpack by putting the MOLLE straps (on the back of the waistpack) through the bottom of the 3 horizontal compression straps, hooking the waistpack's compression straps up around the middle of the Ute's horizontal compression straps, and then took the G-hooks from the 2 top straps off of the Ute and attached them to the waistpack's compression straps, thereby making sure the weight of it was held up from above as well (ends up acting like it's sewn on, and you could do the same thing with the bottom strap G hooks if you wanted it even more secure).  Yeah I know, kind of a convoluted and poor explanation, but I've got a picture of it somewheres.  It was a neat little solution to needing a mid-sized pocket to store small things that you'd need access to.  The modularity of the pack is wonderful, as this is one of like 10 different unique solutions to problems I've had for years with past gear.

New Post
1/6/2014 10:11 AM

Has anyone tried a Kifaru pod on the top? 

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the UTE with a tarapocket (it's between that and the ZXR) and I am leaning toward the UTE.  However, I want to make sure I have the ability to add the capacity I might need in the future (two small kids).  I know HPG has their stuff sacks, but I'm skeptical of going "up" without making sure the load is securly tied to the pack.  I think the dock and lock would solve this, but I'm not sure if the straps line up (looks like they should).

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks all!

New Post
1/6/2014 11:30 AM

The pod is a nice piece of kit. In order for a top load to be integral to the pack on a Ute, you need to secure it to the tabs that the top straps that come with the Ute are already tied into (with compression panel like tarapocket, you move the back of the straps from the tie in points on the Ute to the ones on top of the compression panel) . So, you'd need to remove the top straps and replace them with your pod straps. The pod isn't going to be one whit more secure than one of our stuff sacks would be, but it would be easier to take on and off and get into and out of.

New Post
1/6/2014 11:39 AM

BDS 9009 - I used to have a ZXR (had it for years, used in Afghanistan also) and I would highly recommend the Ute over the ZXR.  The ZXR is much heavier and the lid is sloppy when not filled to capacity. 

I do not own a Ute yet (coming soon) but have a Tara and a Umlindi.  Both are far better quality and do not scream tactical pack, if that is an issue for you.

New Post
1/6/2014 8:50 PM

Evan, thanks for the reply.  Good to know if it's an option even if it is only just as secure.

Craig- really good to know.  Thanks for the feedback.  I love the modularity of the UTE compared to just the sheer size of the zxr.  I also like the 500d instead of the 1000d (overkill for me) and the more civilian/hiker approach.  That being said, I have a ton of pockets from my current packs, so I'd love a little more pals on the Ute other than just that under the lid (maybe the sides?), but that I think I can live with (and yes I'm considering the pals pocket over the tarapocket but I love the center access of the Tara).

New Post
1/6/2014 9:19 PM

Last question, what belt size should someone with almost exactly a size 33 waist get, the 27+ or the 33+?  Keeping in mind, I'd like to lose some weight, but as I get older, I know that gets harder :-)

New Post
1/21/2014 5:48 PM

I got my ute in the mail a little while ago and I love it! I've owned a few packs of its size and larger made by various manufactures and this is by far the best. Is not to large nor too small and finds itself as my go to pack. 

New Post
1/21/2014 7:21 PM

bds9009 wrote

Last question, what belt size should someone with almost exactly a size 33 waist get, the 27+ or the 33+?  Keeping in mind, I'd like to lose some weight, but as I get older, I know that gets harder :-)

you will want the 33+ belt.

New Post
1/23/2014 11:24 AM

thejones wrote

bds9009 wrote

you will want the 33+ belt.

I would disagree with this.  It totally depends on where you like to wear your hib belt.  I prefer mine to be high (like buckle right over top of belly button), so my 33"+ praire belt is almost totally cinched down (I have about 1-1.5 inches of room on each side), even though my jean size waist is a solid 36".  If you like yours lower (or your hip and spine anatomy tend to hold a load lower), you may have different results.

New Post
1/23/2014 11:39 AM

The PB is designed to ride on top of the hips and not around them. In essence you want it to settle down onto your hips.  The result is less cinching around the middle and more hip articulation.  It also helps lock the pack into your lumber.  That being said, human bodies are different, and so is comfort. Unfortunately, if you are right on the line of belt sizing 27, 33, 36 the answer is it could go either way. I normally recommend going with the smaller belt if you have a doubt, because it is designed to be completely tight at 27 or 33.  The result is you can loosen your belt for extra clothes etc, but you can't tighten to accommodate weight lose.  As long as you are getting a wrap around the front of your hip bones with the padding you are good to go. For instance I rock a 36+ and I wear mid-40s pant size depending on cut. This is one of the rare cases of, when in doubt go smaller.  If you get the belt in and wear it around the house and it doesn't work we will exchange it no problem as long as it is still like new.  Also take in account to how you really wear your jeans, which is what you need to be sizing off of. If you wear your jeans a bit loose in the waist then you aren't truly a 33 when cinched.  I know that is not a clear cut answer, but I hope it helps.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
1/23/2014 5:15 PM

Just to update this, I got the 33+, and I have it almost all the way cinched down and it's perfect.  Belt sits right above my hips.  I was worried about the smaller belt because using the sizing guide, the edges of the PB would have been right on my hip bones.  Def made the right decision, assuming I don't lose more than 5-10 lbs 

New Post
4/28/2014 7:15 AM

FYI for anyone interested, I recently flew with the Ute carry-on.  With the stays bent to my back, the actual height of the bag comes in at a hair over 22" (22.5" if it is all the way full), which just slides by the airline carry-on maximum.  It fits in the overhead compartment without having to turn it sideways on all but the little puddlejumper planes.  I stripped everything off of the prairie belt for simplicity, but I'm thinking I may go without it next time, or swap it out for a low-profile belt from one of my other packs.  My travel loads ain't nearly as heavy as my backpacking loads. 

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte BackpackUte Backpack