HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte BackpackUte Backpack
Previous

Next
New Post
5/10/2013 5:19 PM

hausy wrote

evanhill wrote

Thanks for the report!

I rarely strap anything on the bottom of a pack, and never anything very big. I simply overlooked making the straps long enough to do so. I'm working on getting enough of the longer replacement straps to cover folks who bought the first run of Utes. No need to buy them. Just send an email to info@hillpeoplegear.com. requesting them and we'll keep your info for when we've got these to send.

Thank you for the offer to send the straps, I'll send an email.

I sent the email back in March.  Any ETA on when the straps will be shipped?

Thanks.

New Post
5/10/2013 5:54 PM

We just got them in yesterday. They're sitting on my desk for processing on Monday. We'll ship in an envelope, regular mail. You'll probably have them by the end of next week.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/17/2013 5:03 PM

They showed up today.  Thank you.

New Post
5/22/2013 12:53 PM

just checking whether the foliage 27inch belts are in and just not added to the store yet

New Post
5/29/2013 11:43 AM

Marzi, I've emailed and PM'd you. I have a single slightly used foliage 27+ I'll cut you a deal on. If I don't hear from Marzi in a couple of days, that's open for anyone else as well.

We now have coyote 27+ belts on the way as well if anyone has been waiting on the 27+ for a coyote Ute.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/29/2013 4:31 PM

Just in case anyone is looking for yet another accessory for their pack, I discovered this weekend that a Kifaru Grab-It mounts perfectly on the Ute.

New Post
5/29/2013 4:48 PM

I've long thought that the Grab-it is one of the most elegant and useful products Kifaru sells. Good price, too. I can see situations where that would be a handier addition to the Ute than a Tarapocket or Palspocket. Don't know if you've tried this, but you should be able to attach it at the very bottom of the Ute (right next to the Prairie Belt), empty the Ute, and then use the setup as a packboard with the bag part of the Ute collapsed under whatever you're packing.

New Post
6/16/2013 8:45 PM

scot/evan or anyone else...ever get a picture if the ute fully compressed in "day mode"?

New Post
6/18/2013 2:21 PM

Trapperjay, thanks for the (re-)prompt. Should have done this a long time ago. I haven't really explored the lower limit of the Ute much. I've only got one Ute, and I keep it packed for overnight or multi-day trips with a 45+ pound load. Plus, I've been working on the Umlindi so that's what I've kept packed for those in-between loads anyway. The pictures below are of a 14 pound load in the Ute. ~5lbs of that is pack weight. I removed the framesheet and I'm running just the thin pads in the Prairie Belt. Removing the framesheet drops 6 ounces and also allows the pack to narrow up to the width of the stay channels under compression. This was very comfortable and didn't feel awkwardly large at all. I've been wondering which of our offerings I was going to use to climb a 14er with a couple of family members later this summer. This morning's experiment answered that question. Hands down, the stripped down Ute makes for my favorite summit pack. I don't want to hurt my arm patting myself on the back, but the Ute really is a do it all pack. It handles a 15lb light day load with aplomb, but can still handle multi-day trips and heavy loads with best in class comfort. It only starts to fall down late in the year when you're contemplating trying to get your camp and half of your elk meat out in a single load. It is a little short on volume for that.

New Post
6/19/2013 3:11 AM

evanhill wrote

Hands down, the stripped down Ute makes for my favorite summit pack. I don't want to hurt my arm patting myself on the back, but the Ute really is a do it all pack. It handles a 15lb light day load with aplomb, but can still handle multi-day trips and heavy loads with best in class comfort.

Evan, do you mean this in the context of A: You're on a multi-day hike, want to bag a peak so strip down the Ute. OR B: You're heading off on a day hike with a peak along the way?

New Post
6/19/2013 11:41 AM

Benny wrote

evanhill wrote

Hands down, the stripped down Ute makes for my favorite summit pack. I don't want to hurt my arm patting myself on the back, but the Ute really is a do it all pack. It handles a 15lb light day load with aplomb, but can still handle multi-day trips and heavy loads with best in class comfort.

Evan, do you mean this in the context of A: You're on a multi-day hike, want to bag a peak so strip down the Ute. OR B: You're heading off on a day hike with a peak along the way?

Both.

New Post
6/19/2013 11:05 PM

completely off topic. What jacket is that?

New Post
6/20/2013 7:15 AM

Henry Krinkle wrote

That's a concept we're playing with - a desert smock. Simple, loose fitting, full coverage made out of lightweight 100% cotton sheeting. The jury is still out. It does seem to keep one cooler than, say, a cotton t-shirt. Particularly if there is any air movement at all. The devil is in the fabric, and I think we can do better.

New Post
6/20/2013 8:26 AM

I'll take one!  :)

evanhill wrote

Henry Krinkle wrote

That's a concept we're playing with - a desert smock. Simple, loose fitting, full coverage made out of lightweight 100% cotton sheeting. The jury is still out. It does seem to keep one cooler than, say, a cotton t-shirt. Particularly if there is any air movement at all. The devil is in the fabric, and I think we can do better.

New Post
6/24/2013 10:18 PM

Please pardon if this has been brought up before, but it is something I've pondered a bit lately.  24in stays are the "sweet spot", not too long, not to short.  The Ute of course, in the wisdom of its designers, has 24in stays.  Problem is airlines require 22in OAL to be in compliance with TSA regs.  What about optional "bayonet" stays that have an end that could be folded down to reduce their length?  This is obviously something the end user could do for himself if he required it but I thought I'd toss it out there.

New Post
6/25/2013 10:00 AM

Take-a-knee wrote

Please pardon if this has been brought up before, but it is something I've pondered a bit lately.  24in stays are the "sweet spot", not too long, not to short.  The Ute of course, in the wisdom of its designers, has 24in stays.  Problem is airlines require 22in OAL to be in compliance with TSA regs.  What about optional "bayonet" stays that have an end that could be folded down to reduce their length?  This is obviously something the end user could do for himself if he required it but I thought I'd toss it out there.

I would like to see these as well.

New Post
6/25/2013 12:31 PM

I dont have a ute yet but this was something I've thought about too. 

New Post
6/25/2013 12:53 PM

I just measured to be sure...

Packed full with the PB on, the Ute stands at least 24" tall if not more, but the actual hard bits are shorter. The stays aren't a full 24", they're a little shorter to allow for the Prairie Belt below them and some nylon pieces above them. Then they're machine bent to our default bend. After all of this, they measure 22" exactly "as the crow flies" from tip to tip. If you have a shallower lumbar area, they'll end up longer. If you have a deeper lumbar area, they'll end up shorter. The framesheet is 22.25" because it is in an interior pocket.

If you take the Prairie Belt off and don't have the pack stuffed full, you can clear the 22" maximum with the stays installed. I'd have to experiment with it to see, but it probably travels better with the framesheet out because it is more "stuffable" into overhead bins and such.

New Post
7/10/2013 6:24 PM

Just received my new Ute in the mail today.  Incredibly well-designed pack and I can hardly wait to try it out!  Thanks to Evan & Scot for "gently" steering me toward this ruck!  I will now be selling off some other packs because I can already tell that they will probably just collect dust.  No way I'm going to carry those others now that I've got this bad boy!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/11/2013 9:22 AM

Show us some pics!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte BackpackUte Backpack