Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte BackpackUte Backpack
Previous

Next
New Post
3/8/2013 11:51 AM

Adv, you can also remove the padding from the PB to customise the way it runs, if you we're to run it with no padding it would be lighter.

New Post
3/8/2013 1:53 PM

Quick question, are there other manufacturer's belts that would fit the Ute? Any that come to mind, just interested in potentially lighter weight options.Thanks.

If you aren't going to run a Prairie Belt, the Kifaru Duplex would probably be second choice. To my way of thinking, adding 5-10lbs of felt weight to save 8oz of pack weight is a pretty poor trade though. A pack's waistbelt is the heart of its load carriage ability, and the Prairie Belt *is* that much better than any other belt I've used.

I have thought about a lighter weight variant of the PB. Drop the PALS and other features, go with single layer hypalon stay pockets, and step back to 500d for the fabric.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
3/8/2013 8:04 PM

scothill wrote

The Ute is designed to take pretty much any belt that is removable from a pack. If you haven't yet check out the videos and you will get an idea of how the attachment works.

Thanks guys for the info.  I have a Ute, I guess a belt doesn't need to have the stay "pockets" for it to work, that was what I was really wandering. It's not soley about weight, I have  found that a slimmer belt has been more comfortable for me - I don't have much of a backside and the slimmer belts seem to sit atop the hip easier without slipping downwards.

I did try the belt off the LL Bean external and that seemed to work, even though the stays have no pocket on the back of the belt to sit in.

New Post
3/11/2013 2:40 PM

Have you worked with the different pad thicknesses available? That can really change the fit and way the belt carries.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
3/12/2013 6:50 PM

scothill wrote

Have you worked with the different pad thicknesses available? That can really change the fit and way the belt carries.

I did this weekend, removing a "layer' of padding on the Prarie and adding another layer to the lumbar pad (from an old sleeping pad)  made a difference it seems. Just have to wait until the weekend to take it out again. I tell you one thing though, this pack in the hot weather down here (TX) is going to be something special as the ventilation you can get with it  set up correctly is something else - thanks to the video for that.

New Post
3/17/2013 2:43 PM

I received my Ute about a month ago and have taken it on a couple of short hikes, about 2.5 miles each with a total pack weight of 35 pounds.  These were good hikes to get the prarie belt broke in and adjustments made to the harness.  Friday I went with my son's scout troop up to Paradise on Mt. Rainier for the big test...winter camping.  Total pack weight was 47 pounds.  We snowshoed in over half a mile with a good accent and decent to our spot.  The Ute balances really well and was very comfortable to wear even with the bulky winter clothing.  The only issue I had was the bottom straps being too short.  I was barely able to get my military sleeping pad (which was rolled as tight as I could get it) strapped on with the straps adjusted all the way out.  The straps were so tight that pad was compressing the bottom of the pack to the point that one of my water bottles came out from being pushed up by the pad.  I see the straps are now being made longer and hope it is possible to order the longer straps.  I already had a terahumara pack that goes along with my recon kit bag so I used it as a compression panel to hold equipment between it and the pack, this worked extremely well. 

Overall this is an excellent backpack.  I've owned Kelty, Gregory, and North Face packs in the past and this one is by far my favorite. 

New Post
3/18/2013 3:33 PM

Thanks for the report!

I rarely strap anything on the bottom of a pack, and never anything very big. I simply overlooked making the straps long enough to do so. I'm working on getting enough of the longer replacement straps to cover folks who bought the first run of Utes. No need to buy them. Just send an email to info@hillpeoplegear.com. requesting them and we'll keep your info for when we've got these to send.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
3/21/2013 11:15 PM

evanhill wrote

Thanks for the report!

I rarely strap anything on the bottom of a pack, and never anything very big. I simply overlooked making the straps long enough to do so. I'm working on getting enough of the longer replacement straps to cover folks who bought the first run of Utes. No need to buy them. Just send an email to info@hillpeoplegear.com. requesting them and we'll keep your info for when we've got these to send.

Thank you for the offer to send the straps, I'll send an email.

New Post
4/7/2013 3:31 PM

I really like the looks of the Ute. For those of you who have used the ute as well as a kifaru duplex system, how do they compare?

New Post
4/8/2013 11:26 AM

I can hardly be considered unbiased, so I won't provide an answer.  I know there are a fair number of folks with time under both packs, and hopefully one of them will jump in. That being said the Ute is still new enough that folks might be holding off to do a longer term review.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/8/2013 6:00 PM

Comparing the Ute to the Kifaru duplex is not really a fair comparison. It would compare more to Kifaru's Late Season, Siwash pack or MR's Big Horn. That said I don't have enough time with the Ute to say very much but that should change in the next few weeks when the spring skiing trips start up for me.

New Post
4/8/2013 8:14 PM

When you say not fair, do you mean it's like comparing "apples to oranges?"

New Post
4/8/2013 8:45 PM

In terms of volume of the base bag and also price point (well, not the Late Season, but the Bighorn) WEG is right about which packs to compare the Ute to. In terms of load carrying ability with equal amounts of weight, I invite people to compare the Ute with any of the duplex framed packs. Heck, any internal frame pack made for that matter.

New Post
4/9/2013 3:59 AM

I've not had my Ute al that long but I have used it quite a lot now in various roles and with varying weights. Previous to owning my Ute I was using a Kifaru Zulu, I could carry roughly the same contents in both packs (mainly my load out for SAR) there are a few differences that separate the packs massively in my opinion. The first one for me is the suspension system on the Ute is a million times better, the Ute does what it says on the tin as far as moving the weight properl to your hips, the shoulder straps are far more comfortable. I had found that carrying heavy loads in the Zulu was not comfortable and started to cause discomfort. Another huge bonus with the suspension system is being able to set the amount of shoulder articulation, again the Zulu was restrictive in certain tasks, such as stretcher handling. 

Then we have the Prarie Belt........again in my honest opinion this is far better, I had found that the Omni belt would often 'slip' if it got wet or was worn over waterproofs, whereas the PB is far more secure and stays seated in all weathers. There is also the added benefit of being able to wear the PB standalone or in conjunction with the HPG harness for lightweight setups. 

Another major difference is the compression system on the UTE is again far better designed, and it actually compacts the bag and contents toward the frame, whereas the Zulu system would just "hug" the contents.

pi will try and compile a more in depth review once I have had the pack for a longer period of time but for now I f I had to choose I'd go with the Ute over the Zulu and even with customs the Ute was cheaper and the option of being able to add a Tara pack (another great pack) to it is again appealing for my uses.

phope this helps with your choice

New Post
4/9/2013 4:01 AM

Apologies, just noticed the spelling mistakes in my last post, my iPad wont let me change them

New Post
4/9/2013 10:08 AM

I finally get what you all are saying in terms of pack comparisons. the one thing about the other brand that really annoyed me was the raised torso pads (annoyed=uncomfortable rubbing). This discussion is very helpful for sure and is steering me in the right direction. I've gone "back and forth" betwen a lumbar style pack and the Tara with shldr straps only. ultimately, I need/want a pack that will haul meat but function under compression as a day pack. and one that will not pull on my shoulders causing them to ache at the end of the day. 

New Post
4/9/2013 10:10 AM

trapperjay wrote

ultimately, I need/want a pack that will haul meat but function under compression as a day pack. and one that will not pull on my shoulders causing them to ache at the end of the day. 

Ute

New Post
4/9/2013 10:27 AM

any update on the 27 belt eta?

New Post
4/9/2013 10:52 AM

Does a ute interfere with drawing a bow?

New Post
4/9/2013 11:58 AM

I will see if I can't get a more precise update on the belts. That being said last I heard it was in the next week or two.

I haven't shot a bow with the Ute on, but have with the same harness on other packs without a problem. I will try to remember to do it with the Ute.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte BackpackUte Backpack