Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte BackpackUte Backpack
Previous

Next
New Post
2/8/2013 3:34 PM

Actually, the 27+ belt was getting tweaked this week, and it sounds like it was the final set needed.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/12/2013 8:04 PM

Just curious if anybody has had their Ute in the overhead bin on an airliner yet? I know it's 2 inches to long by airliner standards, but I've seen some pretty big bags stuffed in the overhead.

Thanks

New Post
2/13/2013 6:45 AM

I'll fly in a week and let you know. My strategy is to remove the stays and place them diagonally inside the pack and just cinch it down to 22 inches. I'm going to try and get away with wraping the belt back around, but may have to take it off...

New Post
2/20/2013 1:13 PM

I've put about 12 miles on the UTE this past week and I'm still loving it. I was playing with the adjustments a bit after I custom bent the stays and I did get a binding of the harness for a bit, but I loosened everything and then re-cinched and it didn't happen again... when I say binding, I mean the bottom of the harness where it attaches to the pack in the very back was folding under itself? Not sure how I did it, but it seems remedied at this point.

One more question regarding the diagonal straps. I know on the Kifaru videos they stated that the diagonals weren't neccessary to tighten except for fine tuning? Would you agree with that statement and for the UTE or should I always seek to attach and adjust them? I did 4 miles yesterday without them attached unknowingly, when the g hook  came undone from the hyplon loops on both sides?

New Post
2/20/2013 1:37 PM

By the angle straps I presume you mean the delta straps? The ones that come off the sides of the lumbar area and down to the belt?  Deltas work essentially like load lifters in that they help move the load into your center of gravity and control the load. Depending on the style of pack this can be critical.  On a lumbar pack it is a critical component on the pack carrying well, because the don't have load lifters, and on those packs they typically attach higher up on the sides.  I won't carry a lumbar pack without them and consider any lumbar pack without them poorly designed (assuming belt use).  On a larger pack like the ute they are less critical, because a proper stay bend and lifter use are the keys to driving the load where you want it. That being said I still notice a difference in that using them helps keep the load locked into my lumbar area, and cuts down on sway.  Historically, any of my packs that don't have them get them added. To directly answer your question on some packs they are less critical, but still important to me for load control, and on some they are critical.  My personal recommendation is to always use them.  Like load lifters snug them till they are comfortable.

I don't understand your fold though. Is it the actual U part? If so in my experience something happened while putting it on like it got trapped by your jacket hood or something as you swung it into place. I have had it happen a couple of times over the years.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/20/2013 2:10 PM

Correct, I was talking about the delta straps, and that summed it up for me.

Regarding the fold, it had folded under where the sewn seam is... the bottom most horrizontal line as you're looking at the "U" was folding up and over the "HPG" and "Made in the USA " tag underneath... Like I said, once I opened everything up put it on and tightened it down, it didn't happen again, and it didn't happen until I started playing with the adjustment including fitting it on a guy smaller than me.

New Post
2/22/2013 7:13 AM

I Just placed an order today for a Ute Pack and Prarie Belt! Excited about this one as all of the other HPG Gear I own is top notch on both quality of production and in design innovation, so I know it's going to be a decent setup!

Although I have a Tara Pack the look of the Tara Pocket in the Ute video looks very appealing also? Any idea when these and the SilNylon stuff sacs may be ready?

New Post
2/22/2013 4:06 PM

I issued the PO for the Tara Pocket and Pals Pocket on Wednesday. My guestimate is about 3-4 weeks. I anticipate issuing the PO for the stuff sacs next week.

New Post
2/23/2013 5:15 AM

Scot, do you happen to have any pictures of what the PALS pocket will look like?

New Post
2/23/2013 5:27 AM

just got mine yesterday.

had a very hard time getting my stays in to the pockets.

i marked a 2 mm line on the insite till half way of the stays and grinded that 2mm away.

and it fitted very snugly.

then i put all my stuff inside (that i need or a hike) and i still had some space left.

so i can also put my reserve clothing inside 

put a OD green Kifaru backpouch on the back for my warm top, will be a coyote Tarahumara in the near future.

thanks guys for this great pack.

Jurgen

Wicked-Fish Knives & Tools

New Post
2/23/2013 5:33 PM

Evan has the pocket with him and is out of town. He is going to try to get some pics up, but well that might interfere with his umbrella drinks and party freaks (aka the inlaws).

Picture a panel pocket with full 6/12 on the rear of the pocket. We oriented the 6/12 so that the velcro is on the inside of the pocket and the hypalon is on the rear. That means you can put either velcro or molley pockets on the inside of the pocket and molley pockets on the rear of the pocket.

New Post
2/26/2013 1:41 PM

Guys you need to make the bottom straps longer, they are too short to get a decent roll up foam mat secured. I replaced them with my top straps since i dont want anything on top.

My bottom straps are 16" end to end, that gives a max of 5" diameter, with a couple of inches to pull on you can have a 4" mat under there. Thats not enough.

New Post
2/26/2013 2:58 PM

I have been playing with my Ute a bit over the last couple days. I put it on a diet and got it down to 4 pounds. Took off most of the compression straps and replaced them with light weight 3/4" ones with air loc buckles. Frame sheet was removed and replaced with an aluminium crossbar(if it blows out the sides I do not expect HPG to repair it). I then switched out the waistbelt for a lighter weight one, that is fine for up to 35 lbs. The Prarie belt is one of the best belts I have ever worn, way better than the Kifaru but heavy. So I took 1.5 lbs off of it and it does not sacrifice anything up to 35 lbs. I have 3 hours into bending to stays, this is a very different fitting pack and my idea of how it should fit may not be the correct way. I like it so far but I will play with the stay angles some more. This will be my spring skiing pack and might make it on my 9 day trip in the Bob Marshall wilderness.

Oh, one cool thing about the removable frame sheet is that you can use it as a cutting board. Clean fish on it in the wilderess and use it to prepare your meals. You could even use it for a dry spot to sit down.

New Post
2/26/2013 6:49 PM

WEG wrote

I have been playing with my Ute a bit over the last couple days. I put it on a diet and got it down to 4 pounds. Took off most of the compression straps and replaced them with light weight 3/4" ones with air loc buckles. Frame sheet was removed and replaced with an aluminium crossbar(if it blows out the sides I do not expect HPG to repair it). I then switched out the waistbelt for a lighter weight one, that is fine for up to 35 lbs. The Prarie belt is one of the best belts I have ever worn, way better than the Kifaru but heavy. So I took 1.5 lbs off of it and it does not sacrifice anything up to 35 lbs. I have 3 hours into bending to stays, this is a very different fitting pack and my idea of how it should fit may not be the correct way. I like it so far but I will play with the stay angles some more. This will be my spring skiing pack and might make it on my 9 day trip in the Bob Marshall wilderness.

Oh, one cool thing about the removable frame sheet is that you can use it as a cutting board. Clean fish on it in the wilderess and use it to prepare your meals. You could even use it for a dry spot to sit down.

It is a versatile pack, the potential to make it lighter is no doubt there. It'll be interesting to see what others do in this regard, dropping a couple of pounds really puts it in the long distance hiking arena. Maybe a seperate thread with pics if there's an interest in this.

I like the concept of the ability to make it lighter then "beef" it back up again if required. What surprised me was when I stripped my Tara to use on mine, that weighs in around 14oz, probably a mite less with better scales.

New Post
3/4/2013 12:23 PM

Guys you need to make the bottom straps longer, they are too short to get a decent roll up foam mat secured. I replaced them with my top straps since i dont want anything on top.

10" added to the bottom straps, thanks.

The Tarapocket is 6oz. Nice lightweight alternative.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
3/5/2013 12:05 AM

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see stay lengths listed on the product description page.  I remember in the previous pre-production Ute thread stay length was discussed with a few lengths mentioned.  What size stays are the Ute's shipped with, and can 26" stays requested? 

New Post
3/5/2013 2:31 PM

Stay length is 24" and longer won't fit.  There has been some dicussion of using shorter to fit in airplane bins.

New Post
3/7/2013 2:07 PM

Received my Ute/Prarie Belt today! First impressions are extremely positive, exactly what I was looking for in a pack, gonna be taking it out over the next few weekends on various training exercises so I hope to use it then and should be out in the Hills soon to put some miles in with it. Really well thought out design and excellent service from HPG once again! Excellent work guys!

New Post
3/8/2013 9:36 AM

Quick question, are there other manufacturer's belts that would fit the Ute? Any that come to mind, just interested in potentially lighter weight options.Thanks.

New Post
3/8/2013 11:42 AM

The Ute is designed to take pretty much any belt that is removable from a pack. If you haven't yet check out the videos and you will get an idea of how the attachment works.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte BackpackUte Backpack