Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPrairie BeltPrairie Belt
Previous

Next
New Post
12/5/2012 8:57 PM

Is there an updated ETA on the December release date?

New Post
12/6/2012 8:14 AM

Evan- 

thanks for your clarification and thoughts. My apologies for leaving such an open-ended liability headache for you! Irresponsible of me. I'll just stick to dedicated climbing harnesses until I learn more about how there made and what you said on how it would need to be done 

thanks again and looking forward to its release

New Post
12/6/2012 10:48 AM

dash1001 wrote

Is there an updated ETA on the December release date?

I issued the PO yesterday and we have asked FS to fast track them, but we don't have a definite release date at this point.  However, they are officially in the production schedule at this point. If I had to guess I would say around 3 weeks, but hopefully faster. Of course that doesn't account for holiday complications.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
12/6/2012 1:05 PM

Any idea on the price point yet?

New Post
12/6/2012 2:32 PM

no worries gm2011. appreciate you understanding.

pricing is nailed down and we'll announce it in our newsletter on Monday.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
12/11/2012 8:36 AM

Where do I find a copy of the newsletter?  It is Tuesday, and I still cannot find the pricing on the Prarie Belt.

New Post
12/11/2012 11:43 AM

I ended up spending quite a bit of time yesterday on production details, one of which was a last minute cliffhanger on Prairie Belt costing. So the newsletter hasn't gone out yet. I can tell you though that the PB will sell for $95.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
1/16/2013 3:22 PM

I stopped using my climbing tree stand some years ago due to the way it hangs from my shoulders when trying to carry it into the woods. It hangs with all it's weight on the shoulders and hangs too low, smacking me in the calfs, especially stepping over brush and downed logs. I always felt like it would be more usable if I could mount the hip belt from a frame pack to it. My few attempts to repurpose a pack belt failed, mostly due to lack of attchment point compatability/adaptability. This looks like it might due the trick. Anyone have any thoughts on the Prairie Belt being used for this purpose?

New Post
1/25/2013 11:45 PM

I was curious how well this would work as a replacement belt for the USMC ILBE main packs which are overly padded and too cumbersome..  I have one I got new from my cousin a while back.  Built strong, but don't use it because the belt is uncomfortable, large, and rides up on the waist.  The original belt has slots for the two stays and is covered by a lumbar support.  And if so.. I'm about a 32-33 pant size.. should I get a 28"+ size or 33"+?  Thanx.

New Post
1/26/2013 1:04 PM

Any advice on PB ordering sizes?  I'm 35 ish in summer and 36 ish in winter.

jo

New Post
1/26/2013 2:40 PM

On the ILBE - someone already sent me pictures. With the caveat that I haven't inspected an ILBE in person, it looks to me like the Prairie Belt will go right on and offer a pretty significant upgrade.

On sizing - 35-36ish is right in 33+ territory.

New Post
1/26/2013 3:09 PM

Looking forward to the smaller size in Ranger Green.

New Post
1/31/2013 8:56 PM

How does the Prairie Belt in stand alone mode handle weight? It looks like you were using it with two 32 oz Nalgene canteens and two 16 oz bottles, in addition to the Serape on the back. Was the load still pretty stable with this load and no shoulder stability? Could it be used as a runner's belt?

New Post
2/1/2013 7:51 AM

It was pretty stable with the setup pictured for walking, but I wouldn't run with it like that. The PB gets a lot more stable in stand alone mode when you remove some of the inner pads. I actually liked it most with no pads whatsoever for pure stand alone use, whereas just the 1/4" closed cell is a good compromise between that and backpack use with loads in the 30lb range.

Overall, interesting question. I don't have the experience to say yeah or nay on using it as a runner's belt, but I think it shows some promise in that direction without the use of pads.

New Post
2/2/2013 9:18 PM

Evan

I recieved my Praire Belt today. TWO THUMBS UP so far. Well thought out.

One question. How Robust is the Hypalon? I hooked a "G-HOOK"  into one of the smaller loops and it seemed like it would rip with any decent amount of force applied?. What say you?

New Post
2/2/2013 9:39 PM

Hypalon is what high end river rafts are made of. It is way more robust than 1000d, but not quite as strong as 17337 webbing. The little loops are there for tying in cordage surrounded by plastic tubing for a climbing gear rack. I haven't failure tested, but I would expect the bartack to rip out of the 1000d backing material before the hypalon loop itself ripped.

New Post
2/2/2013 10:24 PM

FWIW, I have been using a Ute and a Prarie belt for the past week or so.  Very comfortable, and very well designed.  At first glance, I thought it was a little busy looking (I still like rotary telephones), but it is very easy to set up and actually use.  I think the "one pack" idea is very nice, but different designs give different benefits, and if you have the ability to tailor your pack choice to the job, so much the better.  If you don't always know in advance what you may need, then the Ute may be the perfect pack.  I now prefer it to almost all my other packs, for almost all the jobs I need a pack to accomplish, and though it can't do everything, I think it really does most of what I need better than my other packs.  I will have it out on a multi day hunt shortly, and will see how it does, but I expect it will continue to perform very well.

New Post
2/9/2013 10:08 AM

Any idea when the 28"+ size will be available?

New Post
2/9/2013 7:33 PM

Yes!  Ranger Green. 

New Post
2/11/2013 2:35 PM

I got the production sample for the 27+, and a couple of tabs were in the wrong place. I should see the next iteration this week. Once we give the go ahead on a suitable production sample, it will still probably be 3 weeks before we have them in stock. So, I'm guessing early March at this point.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPrairie BeltPrairie Belt