Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPrairie BeltPrairie Belt
Previous

Next
New Post
10/23/2012 5:29 PM

Even better than the stock belt. Once you thread one of the sets of accessory straps that comes with the Prairie Belt onto the magic wands, then you choose where you want to tension them to on your waist. You can hook the other end of those straps on the upper or lower row of PALS, and as far forward as you want.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/24/2012 2:06 AM

Can you clip a C25M pack on the Prairie Belt & Runner's Harness as a lightweight set-up?

A picture would be worth thousand words...

Thanks / Pete

New Post
10/24/2012 11:04 AM

no, there is nothing about the 25M series pack bags that allow them to be used as a stand alone pack.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/24/2012 1:15 PM

Evan, is it possible to attach a K gun bearer to a prairie belt/highlander/harness set up? I'm thinking yes, but thought I'd ask. I'm liking the highlander as a day pack.

New Post
10/24/2012 1:28 PM

Should work... when a friend borrowed my pack for an elk hunt, it came back with the upper part of the gunbearer still attached to the HPG harness. The PALS on the PB means you could use the military gunbearer lower meant to attach to PALS. Other lowers might work as well.

New Post
10/25/2012 7:57 AM

Evan

Are you familar with the Bull-Pac frame at all? Just wondering if the Prairie Belt could be made to fit with this frame.I plan on rigging my HPG shoulder harness to it as well.

Thanks

New Post
10/25/2012 9:59 AM

evanhill wrote

Even better than the stock belt. Once you thread one of the sets of accessory straps that comes with the Prairie Belt onto the magic wands, then you choose where you want to tension them to on your waist. You can hook the other end of those straps on the upper or lower row of PALS, and as far forward as you want.

I'm in!  I got a 30-32" Waist so I hope the wait for that size is not to long!  : )

New Post
10/29/2012 2:51 AM

got a couple of questions, is there any difference in weight between the K belt and the prairie belt? also have you figured out what the price is going to be on the new belt?

New Post
10/29/2012 9:59 AM

We don't have a price yet, and I don't think we have weighted it vs the kifaru.  Weight on the Praire belt will vary slightly based on what padding setup you choose.  I will have Evan get a weight and post it up.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
10/29/2012 2:26 PM

I have never owned a Osprey pack before, but from the looks of the pull/buckle system it looks alot more practical and user friendly compared to the Kifaru system. I feel that the power pull is ok and does the it's job, but for me it is very uncomfortable along with that huge buckle they use.

New Post
10/30/2012 3:12 PM

Knapper wrote

got a couple of questions, is there any difference in weight between the K belt and the prairie belt? also have you figured out what the price is going to be on the new belt?

Kifaru size large - 13 ounces

Prairie Belt size large with both sets of pads in it - 16 ounces

set of size large PB 1/4" closed cell pads - 1 ounce

set of size large PB 1/2" closed cell pads - 1 ounce

New Post
11/1/2012 4:19 PM

Snow-Ape wrote

How wide is that lumbar portion? I've been looking for something to mar up with a tail gunner I got for cheap and this might be a good recipe... old school H harness feel...

This is exactly what I wish to do with this belt.  When can we expect it to be available?

New Post
11/3/2012 5:36 PM

Should be in November, depending on size and color that you want. All of the size / color combinations won't hit at once.

Here are another couple of pictures:

New Post
11/4/2012 1:05 PM

great product and can't wait for it. I've got a Kelty Falcon 4000 and was wondering if the belt would fit on it. Also wanted to know if the standard web belt with the buckle is 1.75 inch. I've upgraded alot of my gear to the Cobra buckles and wanted to have my ducks in a row.  Thanks

New Post
11/5/2012 11:28 AM

I haven't ever laid hands on a Falcon 4000. Looking at pictures didn't make it explicit. Is the waist belt removable? If so, how does it anchor to the pack?

The webbing portion of the belt is 1.5" webbing. 1.75" Cobra buckle fits fine and seems to work properly, but I haven't had a chance to put the system under load since I put a Cobra on it.

New Post
11/16/2012 7:12 PM

How would this work with First Spear's ECP.  This appears to be just was I was looking for.

Also glad to hear I am not the only small guy interested in one.  28" waist as well.

New Post
11/17/2012 11:51 AM

TheWaker43 wrote

28" waist as well.

28"ers unite!

New Post
11/19/2012 4:00 PM

TheWaker43 wrote

How would this work with First Spear's ECP.  This appears to be just was I was looking for.

This would hook up to the ECP the same way as the pictured hook up to our Highlander. I would recommend using the framesheet insert with the ECP if you are running a waist belt.

New Post
12/5/2012 11:39 AM

Question about the prairie belt's potential climbing dual purpose feature...

I came across this YouTube video when looking up pack belts, "battle belts", etc. the video shows some kind of wierd, super-intense airsoft club guy (dunno) with an extremely fancy and expensive battle belt that doubles as his climbing harness.  I know in a previous post you outlined that a riggers belt would not be able to be added onto the HPG prairie belt under the PALS like other companies (single purpose) 'battle belts', and that is probably a good thing for stability and comfort with a heavy pack load. I would guess just swapping the plastic fastex buckles for cobra buckles would be stronger and work as a potential solution for climbing.

Were you thinking HPG would make a climbing harness similar to the 'micro-8' leg harness in the video to work with the prairie?  Or just with a hasty webbing (nut cracker) harness/ swiss seat? Personally, i know I would probably mainly be using it for rock wall climbing or zip lining, nothing extreme, but was curious about your plans. Probably quick a niche market use and wouldnt be worth it to make something like the micro-8 for HPG. 

http://youtu.be/AhP07fH6IwI

Thanks

New Post
12/5/2012 7:49 PM

Re: climbing

The Prairie Belt as it stands is *not* suitable for any life safety uses. Switching the buckles to Cobra Buckles will *not* make it suitable for life safety uses. Period.

The way that the PB is designed to work for life safety is a series of 1" keepers in between the two rows of PALS that allows an end user at their own risk to secure a proper piece of fall rated tubular webbing around the exterior of the PB which would then be fastened in front using appropriate knots or buckles known to climbers. This will give you a secure place to tie in for general roped travel. If there is such a thing as a 1" fall rated belt, you could thread it into these loops and accomplish the same thing. The PB itself doesn't provide any fall rated capabilities, just a place to semi-permanently attach a fall rated belt.

There are also a series of small loops underneath the PALS for using plastic tubing and accessory cord to tie in gear rack loops.

If we created a climbing kit for the PB, it would consist of:

• a piece of tubular or folded seat belt webbing with rated bar tacking and a rated buckle to be secured to the exterior of the PB
  • plastic tubing and accessory cord to create gear rack loops
  • leg loops similar in concept to the micro-8, but different in execution that thread into the tubular webbing

Such a kit would only be worth producing if it gave climbing harness comfort. That bears quite a bit of R&D to be brought to fruition.

I know that being able to tie into a rated waist belt that is simply part of the pack you're already wearing for general mountaineering would be handy. If you know what you're doing, you can set up such a system in conjunction with the PB as it stands, at your own risk.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPrairie BeltPrairie Belt