Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPrairie BeltPrairie Belt
Previous

Next
New Post
10/17/2012 12:47 AM

What does the inside portion of the belt material look like? Is it cordura or is it some other padded absorbent material?

New Post
10/17/2012 11:13 AM

The closure system I went with is the same as used on Osprey, REI, Cabelas, and maybe other belts. Collectively that makes it a lot more field proven than "power-pull". I used it because it works a lot better and is more comfortable. Just thinking it through, I've seen lots of side release buckles fail, but never a ladderlock. An inch and a half ladderlock mounted in a place that makes it unlikely to be stepped on just doesn't strike me as a very vulnerable part. If it does break, it can be replaced in the field with a repair inch and a half buckle. The side release in the center, on the other hand, is a notorious failure point and we will add a spare to the Prairie Belt sku. Personally, I'll probably run an unbreakable cobra buckle in the center. Speaking of the "power-pull" system -- if you take a look at US patent 5,465,886 you'll see that the 1994 inventor of that system is a Michael Scherer of Boulder and the assignee is American Recreation Products. I don't know what relationship Kifaru has with either of those entities.

The material next to the body is 1000d cordura. It has a nice grip to it. I've also noticed that the places where my older belts are starting to wear out is on a softer "wicking" inner lining. I put wicking in quotes because I don't think you get any appreciable sweat remediation effect from the inner lining of a belt when the layer right behind it is closed cell foam. You'd have to go with one of those closed cell swiss cheese covered with mesh setups to get anywhere with sweat remediation on the belt.

If you have a jacket on the back of the Prairie Belt, the Tarahumara will rest right on top of the jacket and take the weight off of the shoulder straps. If you want to lower your Tara in relationship to the harness and mount the Prairie Belt to it, you can do that too. You'll need (4) 1" repair ladderlock buckles to put on various tabs on the Tara. Then you lace the accessory straps through those and cam the Tara into the Prairie Belt. Same deal with the Highlander. There are probably other ways to do it, but that one should work well. Come to think of it, we should add those buckles to the SKU as well. I'm using a pair to connect my Prairie Belt to the Highlander I use as a compression panel on my MMR / S25M setup and on the Ute as well.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/17/2012 11:21 AM

evanhill wrote

If you want to lower your Tara in relationship to the harness and mount the Prairie Belt to it, you can do that too. You'll need (4) 1" repair ladderlock buckles to put on various tabs on the Tara. Then you lace the accessory straps through those and cam the Tara into the Prairie Belt. Same deal with the Highlander. There are probably other ways to do it, but that one should work well. Come to think of it, we should add those buckles to the SKU as well. I'm using a pair to connect my Prairie Belt to the Highlander I use as a compression panel on my MMR / S25M setup and on the Ute as well.

Evan, any chance you can take pics of this setup with the Highlander and/or Tara? I'm not 100% sure I'm envisioning it correctly, but I'm interested. I own both the Tarahumara and Highlander, and it might be handy pairing the Highlander with the Prarie Belt as a small standalone pack, if it works out well that way. 

New Post
10/17/2012 2:27 PM

evanhill wrote

If it does break, it can be replaced in the field with a repair inch and a half buckle. The side release in the center, on the other hand, is a notorious failure point and we will add a spare to the Prairie Belt sku.

Excellent. I've had zero issues with my power-pull belts and wasn't aware they've been a notorious failure point.  That said, I'm wholly satisfied with your design and field repair capatility rationale.  Well done!

And so, when do you anticipate they'll be ready for ordering/shipping (in foliage)?

New Post
10/17/2012 2:41 PM

Evan

Thanks for the reply. That answered my question. I too would like to see pictures of that setup. If it is possible.

New Post
10/17/2012 2:42 PM

The center buckle failure isn't powerpull specific -- it is any waistbelt using a plastic center buckle. They don't fail due to load. You set your pack down on a relatively hard surface, aren't paying attention to where the center buckle flopped to when you set it down and you step on the thing cracking the female end. It's the only buckle on a pack that is routinely lying where it is likely to get stepped on. I always carry a spare.

Foliage usually lags behind in new products just because parts sourcing takes longer. I'm guessing about 5 weeks out on that.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/17/2012 3:36 PM

Evan,

I was referring to the plastic power-pull loops on the fore of the belt breaking (which evidently isn't an issue), not the center buckle which definitely a notorious failure point.

I've never seen the female portion of a center buckle break. It's always been the male buckle, either the top or the bottom clips, breaking under load bearing stress. 

Fortunately, the larger Kifaru packs have a built-in back-up buckle built into the pseudo-lumbar top-pack strap (unless your name is Randy and you have to borrow my extra since the prior owner of his pack foolishly cut it out to save an ounce or two, or if your name is Kevin and you didn't realize the back-up was available and soldiered on under an unmercilous load with what could best be described as an exercise in "rope/strap bending macrimay"  ).

Allen

New Post
10/17/2012 4:03 PM

Here's a Highlander on the Prairie Belt. You can also (or additionally) clip the bottom tabs of the Highlander or Tarahumara to the bottom tabs on the Prairie Belt. If you don't, it is basically the bottom accessory straps that have to do the work of tying the load into the belt.

New Post
10/17/2012 4:15 PM

Thanks Evan... pretty much what I was envisioning but it's helpful to see it. 

New Post
10/18/2012 12:30 AM

great stuff guys

i need one

Jurgen

Wicked-Fish Knives & Tools

New Post
10/18/2012 3:34 AM

Can you clip a C25M pack on the Prairie Belt & Runner's Harness as a lightweight set-up?

A picture would be worth thousand words...

Thanks / Pete

New Post
10/18/2012 3:11 PM

Great looking bit of kit fellas.

Quick question, does the belt attach to the Ute through the back of the lumbar pad, if so is it going to mean removing any attachments on one side of the belt to thread it back through if you take it off to use as a stand alone piece?

New Post
10/18/2012 3:39 PM

The Ute's lumbar pad is secured at the top by velcro underneath the quilted padding above the lumbar pad. Very easy to flip the lumbar pad down to remove the belt. So, to pull the belt off of the Ute for stand alone use:

• Unhook 4 G-hooks
  • Un-velcro the top flap of the lumbar pad

That's it.

New Post
10/18/2012 8:47 PM

but before I get my hopes up I have to ask what the chances are that it’s going to properly(!) fit a 28″ waist .

New Post
10/19/2012 7:52 AM

I don't have the patterns here (they're at the manufacturer) to give an exact measurement, but the size small goes a little smaller than a Kifaru size small. We will be testing each size on that size person before we go into production with it. Yes, that means the large sizes will be out first.

New Post
10/20/2012 3:48 PM

Would you be able to wear it supported by a rigger’s belt?

New Post
10/20/2012 4:46 PM

Timateo wrote

Would you be able to wear it supported by a rigger’s belt?

Are you asking about the Prarie Belt or the Highlander being supported by a rigger's belt?  If it is the Prarie belt, the answer is not really.  There is no provision for attachment on the inside of the belt. If you really wanted to and needed to you could probably rig some kind of tie in using the pals, but it would probably wouldn't work well.  If you are asking about the highlander you could probably come up with some kind of tie in using something as simple as p-cord for a connection system.  However, I don't think it would help support the weight very well.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
10/23/2012 11:22 AM

Evan,

Great looking belt.   How hard it would be to make one of these fit my old Dana external frame pack?  

Thanks!

New Post
10/23/2012 11:27 AM

nothing to it. it will sit right in there.

New Post
10/23/2012 4:37 PM

evanhill wrote

nothing to it. it will sit right in there.

What about attaching those magic wands?  Thanks.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPrairie BeltPrairie Belt