Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGDeckerDecker
Previous

Next
New Post
2/13/2019 9:29 AM

Decker 

Man am I excited to see this new configuration released! A couple of questions, which I'm sure you knew would be coming... what is the anticipated timeframe that it will be available for purchase, both the frame and the Decker pocket itself? Will there be two size options to correspond to the Ute and Qui-Ya sizing, or is it going to be offerend in just the 24 inch?

New Post
2/13/2019 9:43 AM

Qui-Ya size would be awesome! My question is, would this be compatible with the original compression system like is on the Ute?

New Post
2/13/2019 9:47 AM

Ute size only is the plan. Probably Mayish for in stock. There is not a provision for the pulley style compression.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/13/2019 3:28 PM

Dear Scot and Evan,

I could not wait to get home and view this video! I believe it was back in '11 or '12 when a bunch of us began asking (pestering is probably a closer verb) about an external frame...the wait was worth it. I know Scot and Evan have worked tirelessly on this for years. This is going to work well with the stuff sacks, with my old C20 (I have held onto it just for this) and with all manner of over-sized loads.

As always gentlemen, a first-rate product from a first-rate team.

Craig

New Post
2/13/2019 4:02 PM

Not to split hairs, but wouldn't this still qualify as an internal frame pack? It's simply more of a load shelf minded design like so many other internal frame pack makers have been putting out for the last several years... ie Kifaru, SG, MR, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about this pack and can't wait until they are available for order. I could be wrong, but I doubt this is the actual external frame pack that has been in the works for 7+ years. I'm guessing that design is still tucked away somewhere. But I'd be curious to get Evan or Scot's input on that.

New Post
2/13/2019 4:27 PM

You are correct this is internal based, basically a Ute without the bag. The external is yet to come. This was an easier way to give most of the functionality.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/13/2019 4:44 PM

I stand corrected. EDIT...

So, I rewatched the video and see how I got too excited and didn't see the forest for the trees!

I saw Evan's snow shovel when he was explaining the compression system and I saw pack frame!

Oh well, still awesome looking and very useful.

New Post
2/13/2019 7:39 PM

What’s the capacity of the decker pocket going to be?

New Post
2/14/2019 5:36 AM

On Facebook, Evan said he recalled it being about 2800 cu in / 45 L.

New Post
2/17/2019 4:19 PM

Will my Umlindi work with the Decker? I'm currently using a competitors pack with the dry bag idea but their waist belt sucks and I have not found a more comfortable waist belt than the prairie belt and I have tried a bunch over the years . I use my Umlindi a bunch and it would be great to be able to pack in with the Decker in drydbag haul mode with the Umlindi in  compression and then set up the Umlindi as a day pack . Thanks 

New Post
2/19/2019 12:48 PM

I'm curious how this will work with a Recon belt, which is stated in the product description. Are the stays completely internal and not needing to lock into the slots on a belt, like the Ute and Qui-Ya require with the PB currently?

New Post
2/19/2019 4:21 PM

Umlindi / Decker - I think the Umlindi would work well with the Decker. The way I would do it is strip the Umlindi completely down (remove framesheet, harness, and compression) so as not to duplicate suspension systems unnecessarily. Then I'd tie into the tabs on the back of the Umlindi, similar to how the Decker Pocket ties in. If you wanted to leave the suspension and compression elements on the Umlindi, it would work fine.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
2/19/2019 4:26 PM

Recon Belt - You don't *have* to lock into the slots on the belt. That being said, I've tested Recon on Ute and shoved the stays into a couple of the 6/12 slots on the belt. I was reasonably happy with the setup, but the Prairie Belt is better.

The thought on the Recon Belt is that it will make ounce counters happier with empty pack weight, while giving them a solution that is an order of magnitude more functional and comfortable than a typical ounce counting pack. The Prairie Belt is still the optimal and recommended choice for the Decker Frame.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
2/20/2019 10:13 PM

When is the decker pocket going to hit the website so we can get a look at the specs?

New Post
2/21/2019 3:32 PM

What brand duffle style dry bag are you using in the video? I've always used a top loading dry bag and I like the idea of trying a duffle style.

New Post
2/21/2019 3:35 PM

It is a prototype.

New Post
2/21/2019 4:00 PM

Ah perhaps an accessory for the Decker??? ......Now you really got your hooks into me.... looking forward to seeing the all the goodies. I can truly say HPG is the top of heap when it comes to Backcountry gear I average 300 to 500 trail miles a season and I've been carrying a HPG recon kit bag and Umlindi for most of them and they have worn like Iron . I can't say that of most my other gear. Thanks for making bomb proof gear !!

New Post
3/27/2019 2:17 PM

Just “discovered” this pack. Very interested in it. Seems as if it would fit my do many things with very few frills style of packing. Have been planning on getting a Ute to take the place of my Umlindi for meat packing, but think the Decker may be a better choice. I’m thinking I could use my Umlindi as a “pocket?” Or maybe just dry bags? Also like the thought of a stout frame for light weight summer packing. Scot and Evan, your opinions on this?

New Post
3/27/2019 3:15 PM

It hasn't been tested, but I think the Umlindi is going to make a very good pocket for the Decker that is similar in function to the Decker Pocket. You would remove all suspension elements and compression straps from the Umindi. Then you would put the repair SR buckles that come on the center yoke of the Decker Frame on the tabs on the REAR panel of the Umlindi (not the sides). That way you could almost fully compress an empty Umlindi into the Decker Frame.

As to whether the Decker is a better choice than the Ute for your purposes, I don't have an opinion on that yet. I do know that I'll take a qui-Ya over a Decker for multiday packing every day of the week particularly when it is colder. I have yet to really flesh out the Decker as part of a light weight pack system for smaller summer type loads.

New Post
3/27/2019 4:31 PM

To my way of thinking the Decker is a very niche item, and if that niche is one you need filled on a REGULAR basis then it is a good way to go. That niche is folks who don't want to haul meat in the pack bag and folks who have to strap stuff on that won't fit into the pack bag. However, all the modularity and ability to strap virtually anything on has a price, which is going to be that it will require folks going through the whole strap routine with every strap each time they load it for best carriage. Folks already complain our packs are two strappy, and the Decker is going to be even worse. Personally, I like simple and easy to use. I have tried several setups similar to the Decker in the past and found they took a lot more time and care to get packed well. Watch the video, and pay attention to Evan packing the Decker. That is not a sometimes you have to do it this way, it is pretty much you always have to go through all those steps. To be fair I haven't worked with the Decker, but I just don't see it as a better option then a Ute for a more general purpose do everything pack. If you need the niche use on a regular basis then it is worth the look in my opinion. However, if you are looking for a pack to use regularly, and don't need those uses regularly then I don't think the Decker is a good purchase. An easier way to put it is if the Umlindi is fitting your needs you just want some more space then the Ute is the answer.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGDeckerDecker