Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGASTON  (AHBC) and UMLINDI EDC questionsASTON (AHBC) and UMLINDI EDC questions
Previous

Next
New Post
1/15/2019 3:02 PM

Hi folks,
I am interested in the AHBC with Pocket or the Umlindi with Admin (or other attachment) for an EDC that would have some electronics (laptop and more) as well as typical EDC things (some tools, lamp, etc.).
The debate is mostly top loading (Umlindi) vs panel loading (AHBC). However, I would appreciate any general thoughts on these as EDC bags.
I have a GR2 and was looking for a bag that was either smaller (originally looked at GR1) or that could compress to be smaller (hence the HPG bags). Thanks in advance for any thoughts! I appreciate it.

New Post
1/15/2019 4:14 PM

I replaced my Conner with a BackCountry for EDC several months ago. I prefer the panel access for my work gear, and can store my 13" MacBook Pro in the outside pocket, in the internal mesh pocket, or against the frame sheet. I typically use the outside pocket if the weather is nice, and I will need to access it many times a day. I use the frame sheet carry regularly as the top front zipper makes it easy to grab and stash as well as offering a little more protection. The side handle is a nice feature that I use from time to time. Recently, I have eliminated the Pocket or Panel for lighter EDC, and use the on-board straps stand-alone for compression. That make for quicker access, less buckling and unbuckling during the day, and provides all the compression I need for my work EDC. Small loads suck in real tight, and when I have a one or two day overnight trip, the cavernous BC with Pocket expands to easily handle all I need to carry. It's also my range bag, and my day hike/day hunt pack, which means a lot to me personally. I can't say enough about how well the Aston House Back Country handles the majority of my uses cases, and handles them extremely well. It's an awesome design, and my favorite pack. To be fair I imagine the others would fit your needs nicely as well, I just don't have any experience with the Umlindi or GR1 to share. Good luck!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGASTON  (AHBC) and UMLINDI EDC questionsASTON (AHBC) and UMLINDI EDC questions