Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte Internal Frame PackUte Internal Frame Pack
Previous

Next
New Post
7/17/2012 12:16 PM

Hey HPG is this the new Ute internal frame pack? Any specs or points of usage for this one? Looks really nice so far, share feedback if you can.

New Post
7/17/2012 5:42 PM

That is indeed a prototype Ute.  Things are changing and being wrung out as we speak though. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Excuse me while I whip this out.

New Post
7/18/2012 4:47 PM

ahhh please keep wand pockets and vertical straps

New Post
7/18/2012 8:12 PM

JSonn wrote

ahhh please keep wand pockets and vertical straps

Those aren't going anywhere. This is the third iteration of this pack and it is almost there, and all three have had those straps and wand pockets.  I have high hopes for this pack based on my use of the other two prototypes. I haven't logged anytime in the one in the photo yet.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
7/18/2012 8:59 PM

Please...incorporate some way to pack a long gun (rifle/shotgun)...

New Post
7/20/2012 12:24 AM

i like it

WF 

Wicked-Fish Knives & Tools

New Post
7/24/2012 1:08 PM

any thoughts of having a storage lid that connects to vertical straps? perhaps maybe some small external pockets along the back? would be nice to be able to get to some smaller at ready gear items without having to dig through a top loader.

New Post
7/24/2012 1:21 PM

JSonn wrote

any thoughts of having a storage lid that connects to vertical straps? perhaps maybe some small external pockets along the back? would be nice to be able to get to some smaller at ready gear items without having to dig through a top loader.

Yup, already had those thoughts ;) What you see in the picture is not everything there is with this design. 

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
7/24/2012 2:23 PM

scothill wrote

JSonn wrote

Yup, already had those thoughts ;) What you see in the picture is not everything there is with this design. 

Not by a long shot!  The Ute you see is pretty much suspension testing if you will.  The final product will be a very slick little number.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Excuse me while I whip this out.

New Post
7/24/2012 3:25 PM

I am liking what I am hearing, you guys sound really excited about this- I'll let you work your magic

New Post
7/24/2012 9:58 PM

Ironically, most of what needs fixing on this current iteration is the ways I tweaked the suspension from previous iterations in an attempt to improve it. Joe and Scot were quick to apprise me of those mistakes!

The pack will be sold without any back pocket / compression panel, but is designed to work in conjunction with one. A Tarahumara will work fine, but there are at least two other back pocket / compression panel pockets options that we plan to release at the same time (lighter and less expensive than a Tara). I think we've had more arguments / discussions about how the back pockets should look than anything. Goes to show how personal that particular element can be. We'll give guys a couple of options.The problem with compression panels has always been that they flop everywhere when not snugged down and ready for travel. I've solved that problem in a very versatile and slick fashion if I do say so myself.

I'm just now taking advantage of the Hypalon material available to me through FS (they use it all the time), and some of the unique properties of that fabric is finding its way onto this pack in bits and pieces.

The rough dimensions are 24 x 12 x 7.5". This is a GREAT all around size. I've designed it to be perfectly useful when run beltless. Of course a pack that size full of heavy stuff should be run with a belt if you can.

I haven't prototyped one yet, but I do have an accessory half scabbard planned that will be sandwiched between the compression panel and pack, or just carried naked under the compression straps.

Overall, the Ute is about taking the most useful HPG elements -- simple top loading pack bag, back pocket / compression panel, sizable wand pockets, ample and configurable compression -- making some simplifying assumptions because HPG has control of the entire system, and rolling it into a single "80% case" pack.

When we get to the point of having a production sample made, it will be a two tone pack - ranger green and khaki. They're actually very close colors, with khaki being about the same amount of green / brown mix as rg, but lighter in shade. The idea of using earth tones in a more civilian looking two color combo really appeals to us. We'll see if pictures of that combination generates enough interest to do a production run like that.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
7/24/2012 10:36 PM

so 2 versions, one you're looking to afix some small back pockets to the pack  with an added beavertail compression, the other with a plain back for user who want to run a Tara or H-lander instead?

Hypalon is a great material- are you looking to use it to reinforce parts of the pack or use it more in the overall design of the pack?

HPG scabbard

2 tone sounds like a nice option just as long as it doesnt look forced like it is trying to make a fashion statement. I always thought a Ranger Green pack with Coyote webbing and buckles would look really slick.

New Post
7/24/2012 11:39 PM

No, one main pack version.  Then you will be able to pick whether you use the Tara, or two other options for a compression panel.  The Highlander will be a touch too big to use we have found. 

HPG has played with a two tone pack before.  Looks good is all I can say.

New Post
7/25/2012 12:53 PM

JoeHayes wrote

No, one main pack version.  Then you will be able to pick whether you use the Tara, or two other options for a compression panel.  The Highlander will be a touch too big to use we have found. 

Or no additional pocket / panel as all, as shown in the picture. A HL would work fine, but probably isn't ideal in this application. One of the simplifying assumptions that I made is how the compression straps are spaced. I don't think they'll be that great for the HL, but I haven't tried so I could be wrong.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
7/29/2012 8:11 AM

Evan, Scot an Joe

It looks outstanding, and cannot wait to see it up and running. 

New Post
7/31/2012 11:16 AM

Any idea on when the 'Ute' or the compression panel pockets you mention will be availiable? Looks like a great pack

New Post
7/31/2012 3:43 PM

evanhill wrote

... sizable wand pockets...

Great news on the scabbard!  Question:  What is a "wand pocket"?

New Post
7/31/2012 4:46 PM

El Mac wrote

evanhill wrote

... sizable wand pockets...

basically a side pocket, good for carrying water bottles, butt stock of a vertically mounted rifle or a even a tripod- atleast those are what I use mine for

Great news on the scabbard!  Question:  What is a "wand pocket"?

New Post
7/31/2012 5:00 PM

Geko0270 wrote

Any idea on when the 'Ute' or the compression panel pockets you mention will be availiable? Looks like a great pack

We're taking it slow to get it right. No time estimate yet.

New Post
7/31/2012 5:02 PM

Oh... a couple more pictures:

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte Internal Frame PackUte Internal Frame Pack