Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGConnor Frame Sheet mod idea?Connor Frame Sheet mod idea?
Previous

Next
New Post
1/29/2017 6:20 PM

Just figured I'd post this here to see if anyone could spot a reason why it wouldn't work before I order the parts to try it.

I love using my Connor pack for EDC, but haven't really gotten around to using it as a panel on the Ute much. Biggest reason why being it's kind of time consuming to swap modes, with the most effort being reserved for removing the Aston Framesheet & stay, and the second being swapping out the ladderlock buckles from being attached to the loadlifters at the top to the lower sides instead.

So, that second part, I just swapped the ladderlocks out for wave g-hooks for attaching the load lifters. I haven't bothered putting the ladderlocks on the lower sides, and instead have just been skipping attaching the Connor at the very bottom of the sides. But the g-hooks make it wayyyyy quicker to remove the harness and free up those top tabs to be connected to the Ute's top compression straps.

But that first part? I've been struggling with deciding on the best way to proceed. There's been discussion on this forum before, with the two solutions being using the frame sheet without the stay, or using closed cell foam instead of the frame sheet. Both of these solutions result in a floppier than ideal arrangement for a pack the size of the Connor though.

So, I was thinking... What if instead of using the sewn-in sleeve on the Aston sheet to slide the frame into, I did this instead - Use the smooth side of the framesheet, and install a vertical strip of loop velcro where the lumbar curve in the corresponding area of the aluminum stay exists. 6" or so. Then install an adhesive strip of hook velcro on the lumbar curve area of the stay. (This is with the arrangement from back to front being 1. my back, 2.the stay, 3.the sheet)

The HDPE is floppy enough where the velcro on the stay should hold a curve pulled up into the curve of the stay in the lumbar region, and then the thinness of the sleeve should be enough to keep the rest of the sheet pushed up against the stay going in the other direction. When it's time to use the pack as a panel, I can just reach in, peel the stay off the velcro, and remove it from the sleeve without too much effort. When it's time to go back to pack mode, just slide the stay into the sleeve, line it up with the velcro, and push the HDPE into the curve of the stay, with the velcro keeping everything in place once I've done so.

I know this was kind of wordy, so thank you anyone who stuck with it. Think this would work ok?

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGConnor Frame Sheet mod idea?Connor Frame Sheet mod idea?