Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGIt's without the frame sheetIt's without the frame sheet
Previous

Next
New Post
12/8/2016 9:41 AM

In a recent video, Evan said he used the Ute without the frame sheet. My guess is I allows for more freedom of movement, especially with a lighter load. I was just curious if anyone had more input and experience with this?

New Post
12/8/2016 9:46 AM

I don't know as the freedom of movement is greater, at least I didn't notice a difference as you still have the stays for support. The real purpose is that it lets you get the pack compressed even smaller than with the frame sheet. I have tried it a time or too, and it makes for a truly compact pack, which is taller than the Umlindi, but as compact. So you get more capacity and only go taller not wider or deeper. I haven't found time to repack, but my plan this year is to run a Ute without a frame sheet for a winter day pack this year. Seems like I alternate between a Ute one year and an Umlindi the next for my winter day pack, by removing the frame sheet I am thinking I will be splitting the difference.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
12/8/2016 10:46 AM

Sorry about the auto correct in the title. Obviously meant Ute not its. Thanks Scott. I go back and forth between the two also so I might give this a shot.

New Post
12/9/2016 5:58 AM

Have you experimented with inflatable sheets like the Klymit airbeam?

New Post
12/10/2016 8:22 PM

I haven't but it looks like an interesting idea. My worry would be a leak that renders it useless. My thought is maybe a closed cell foam frame sheet. The problem I run into with the regular sheet is if you have a bit of a load and cinch it down with the HPG compression system, it flexes horizontally and resists flexing vertically, affecting the way the stays flex as intended.

New Post
12/10/2016 11:16 PM

I've used a Bundeswehr ground mat. It resists horizontal deflection well, won't deflate and is cheap. It is fairly thin overall (not sure if it will work for you in terms of comfort) and I can't confirm that it'll fit in a Ute or Umlindi. 

I'm waiting for a Ranger Green / Khaki Ute to drop, if I can purchase one soon (and remember) I will snap some pictures for you.

New Post
12/12/2016 12:10 AM

Ccombs wrote:
I haven't but it looks like an interesting idea. My worry would be a leak that renders it useless. My thought is maybe a closed cell foam frame sheet. The problem I run into with the regular sheet is if you have a bit of a load and cinch it down with the HPG compression system, it flexes horizontally and resists flexing vertically, affecting the way the stays flex as intended.

The air beam is tougher than it sounds, not much of a worry and if it fails somehow you're not relying on it for much. The theory would be remove the frame sheet so you can narrow the pack, then air beam can be "tuned" by inflating it just enough to add back in a bit of support. It's used this way in frameless UL packs. Closed sell foam sit pads and sleeping pads are also used similarly in those packs and are popular. I don't support knock off stuff often but you can find thermarest style mats under the name nature hike for less than half the cost of the thermarest on amazon. They are good for experimenting, dog sleeping pads etc. gossamer gear also sells a few types of foam mats that are pre-cut to fold into their packs. http://gossamergear.com/nightlight-sleeping-pad-torso-length.html  both would also allow you to narrow the pack, have some support and be a dual use item.

New Post
12/18/2016 8:28 PM

I appreciate the info. I'll look into it.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGIt's without the frame sheetIt's without the frame sheet