Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPocket for 32oz Nalgene Pocket for 32oz Nalgene
Previous

Next
New Post
12/7/2016 6:54 AM

I searched and didn't find any leads, so perhaps I am the only one who rocks a 32oz Nalgene. 

Any plans on producing a HPG pocket that is PALS compatible for this size of bottle? 

Anyone have a recommendation on a non-HPG pocket that'll fill this niche for me? 

Thank you 

New Post
12/7/2016 7:09 AM

Pretty sure Kifaru makes one.

New Post
12/7/2016 9:50 AM

ITS Skeletonized Bottle Holder, OV Innovations Teeter Pouch(when they are in stock), MSM Bottle Corset, and Kifaru has one too.

New Post
12/7/2016 12:22 PM

Well DONE sirs!

I knew of the ITS and MSM. Not a fan of the skeleton holder. They are difficult for me to return the bottle to.

I had not seen the OV. Awesome. I will watch them to come back in stock.

The Kifaru is really nice, but a chunk of change. But, I think it fits my purposes the best. Time to spend some of my Christmas funds.

On another note, with all those options, it's easy to see why the Hill brothers haven't put one out. It's a fairly full market.

New Post
12/7/2016 9:54 PM

Just a word of warning re: teeter pouch. It requires 4 rows of webbing and 2 columns. If you are planning to use it on a belt, it probably isn't the right option for you. 

I have the Kifaru and I am pleased with them overall; that said, I don't like the SRB set up, so I replaced it with shock cord and a hypalon tab. Just from pictures I actually prefer the HPG design as it protects the bottle better on the base, this can be an issue when scrambling or if you just dropped your pack carelessly. Just a shame that there are no HPG bottle pouches for the 32oz Nalgene.

You are right about the Kifarus being spendy, I have no idea why they'd cost nearly $10 more the the HPG ones...

P.s. If you have a Ute the lower tensioner strap can be attached to the HPG bottle pouch, no such luck with the Kifaru.

New Post
12/8/2016 2:23 AM

32oz Nalgenes will fit in the large size HPG canteen holsters...the ones typically meant for the GI sized canteens.  I carry 32oz Hydroflasks in mine often...works fine.

Another good option I use for large size bottles are the HSGI Soft Tacos.  Once the shock cord is extended out on them, a 32oz will fit.  

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
12/8/2016 8:48 AM

As alpndrms stated they will fit, but we don't list it, and didn't design for that because the shape and size just doesn't make a good fit for belt carry in our opinion.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
12/8/2016 9:16 AM

Here's a thread on the subject from a few years back. 

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tabid/679/forumid/23/threadid/11639/scope/posts/Default.aspx

Alpendrms has good advice, as usual. If there is one thing I've learned since I've been using HPG products is that the gear can be used in many ways, not just their intended purpose. 

New Post
12/8/2016 10:12 AM

Alpendrms - Very helpful, as always. Do you have a picture of one riding in there?

Scot - Completely understand your preference. Would adding a line to the product description regarding 32oz bottles help avoid further questions (with your disclaimer about it being a poor option)?

Jkauffroath - That is a bomber thread! Thanks for linking to it. I need to increase my search skills on this forum.

New Post
12/8/2016 10:31 AM

Wildemt wrote:
Alpendrms - Very helpful, as always. Do you have a picture of one riding in there?

Scot - Completely understand your preference. Would adding a line to the product description regarding 32oz bottles help avoid further questions (with your disclaimer about it being a poor option)?

Jkauffroath - That is a bomber thread! Thanks for linking to it. I need to increase my search skills on this forum.

Not at the moment, but I'll take one for you when I get home from work tonight.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
12/8/2016 10:33 AM

Wildemt wrote:

I second this. If I had known that the 32oz fits in the canteen pouch, even through it is not recommended or designed as such, that would have been my preference by far.

New Post
12/8/2016 3:45 PM

Wildemt wrote:

Wildemt:  As promised, here is a photo of a 32oz Nalgene in the large size HPG canteen pouch, attached to the Prairie Belt on my qui-Ya.  You can also see a Nalgene Oasis in the wand pocket on the side of the pack for comparison.  I've carried large Hydro Flasks in mine on several trips with zero issues.  I often like to carry the Hydro Flasks in winter, because they don't freeze as easily, and I can even stick them in a fire to melt water if I need to.  They also keep warm fluids warm for a long time.  So, I have found that carrying them in the HPG pouches works for such applications. 

In my humble opinion, the HPG pouches work perfectly fine for carrying a Nalgene or Hydro Flask.  I have not personally experienced any detriment with doing so, and I've also carried them in these pouches on a few trips overseas in rough conditions.  Never had one pop loose or feel like it was in the way of what I was doing.  Yes...I usually prefer to carry a GI-shaped canteen there, like the Nalgene Oasis or the Ranger Canteens I've been using lately, but otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate a second to carry a standard Nalgene or big Hydro Flask in them.  I actually like using these pouches to carry them more than using the Granite Gear or Outdoor Research bottle holsters.  Those are more troublesome to get the bottle out and back in.  The HPG ones work pretty easily.  My next favorite are the HSGI Soft Tacos...they expand out sufficiently to carry a 32oz Nalgene easily.  That said, I still think the HPG pouches are even quicker for getting them out and back in.  

Hope that helps in your decision.

Cheers.

Ken

New Post
12/8/2016 3:50 PM

Sorry for the off topic, but Ken, any word on those Ranger Canteens not having BPA?

New Post
12/8/2016 4:04 PM

El Mac wrote:
Sorry for the off topic, but Ken, any word on those Ranger Canteens not having BPA?

No word on that yet, El Mac.  My buddy is still working thru the USG wickets to get the Army or the SOF community to buy them.  As far as BPA free goes....I actually recently read some stuff about that and have come to the idea that maybe that whole BPA free thing was just another alarmist thing versus any real threat.  The canteens I used in the Army for pretty much my entire adult life weren't BPA free....yet I am still kicking along just fine.  

http://time.com/3742871/bpa-free-health/

New Post
12/8/2016 4:14 PM

Which hydro flask fits? 32 or 40oz? I like the look of those. Have you tried boiling water in them, or only melting snow? - J

New Post
12/8/2016 4:18 PM

Hydroflasks are double-walled vacuum sealed. They do a great job keeping things hot or cold, but you can't boil water in them or melt snow either. They are strictly a fill and go proposition.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
12/8/2016 4:34 PM

GoKartz wrote:
Which hydro flask fits? 32 or 40oz? I like the look of those. Have you tried boiling water in them, or only melting snow? - J

Mine are 32oz.  I'm not sure if the 40oz would work, because even though they both are the same diameter, the 40oz is taller and might require a too long length of shock cord to secure it and the 40oz might be just too cumbersome in those pouches.  

Edit: I have not needed to boil water in mine yet, but I have melted snow in them....by throwing snow in with water that was already in there and letting it dissolve to give me more volume.  I have, however, boiled water in a very similar bottle...the Kleen Kanteen.  It works, but you will void the warranty on the bottle.  That never bugged me....if I can make the device do what I need it to do when I need it, then mission accomplished.

New Post
12/8/2016 6:34 PM

I'm not at all learned on the subject, but going by that article alone it seems to confirm the ill effects of BPA. It also states that the jury is out on its substitutes. 

New Post
12/8/2016 7:14 PM

Digger wrote:

I'm not at all learned on the subject, but going by that article alone it seems to confirm the ill effects of BPA. It also states that the jury is out on its substitutes. 

I dunno....maybe.  All I know is that I've drank from non BPA Free canteens for many years and I ain't even close to dead yet.

New Post
12/8/2016 7:32 PM

Obviously, we are getting pretty far off the track of the original intent of this thread, but just to add some more fuel to the glowing BPA fire ember.....seems anything we put to our lips can kill us:  http://www.mensjournal.com/health-fit...

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPocket for 32oz Nalgene Pocket for 32oz Nalgene