Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGSerape and a ponchoSerape and a poncho
Previous

Next
New Post
6/16/2016 11:00 PM

Who uses a poncho with their Serape?  I know the Serape is much more than the run of the mill poncho liner, but it seems to me when the rain really comes down it would pay to have a waterproof poncho to throw over the top.  Does anybody have any experience with this?

New Post
6/17/2016 4:19 AM

Ccombs wrote:

Who uses a poncho with their Serape?  I know the Serape is much more than the run of the mill poncho liner, but it seems to me when the rain really comes down it would pay to have a waterproof poncho to throw over the top.  Does anybody have any experience with this?

I've not had the need to yet, but I have an OPSEC poncho (http://www.survival-solutions.com/o-p...) for that very reason.  It's a pretty versatile and robust design.  I haven't had the need yet to use it in conjunction with the Mountain Serape, but have used the poncho by itself.  It came in mighty handy last fall at the Overland Expo East in Asheville, NC.  The amount of rain coming down over the entire southeast was incredible.  It is also one of the components (along with the serape) in a Contingency Go-Bag that we designed for DOJ personnel.  Useful as a bivy overtop the serape or as an improvised tarp shelter, as well.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/17/2016 6:54 AM

Thanks alpendrms, I have coat/pant rain gear as well as a poncho and switch back and forth depending on what I think I will need. The problem is the Serape doesn't work well in conjunction with a rain coat. So I was thinking a poncho/Serape with either the pants or gaiters should cover most situations.

New Post
6/20/2016 7:10 AM

I have never had any luck with ponchos and staying dry. Perhaps they are better now. I really like a bivanorak paired with a serape, and my MT Hardware is also big enough to go over my Serape, although it is a bit tight.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
7/31/2016 4:47 PM

Thanks Scott. The bivanorak looks like an interesting piece of gear. Does all the extra get in the way when just walking around? I have a Snugpak poncho on the way. Kind of a poncho with arms that will go over a pack. For $40 it's worth a try.

New Post
7/31/2016 8:03 PM

Ccombs wrote:
Thanks Scott. The bivanorak looks like an interesting piece of gear. Does all the extra get in the way when just walking around? I have a Snugpak poncho on the way. Kind of a poncho with arms that will go over a pack. For $40 it's worth a try.

If it is warm enough to hike in shorts during the day, then a poncho is all you need for raingear.  That is except when a lot of wind is a possibility, you'll look like a clipper ship.  From the end of May 'till the end of Sept in the Southern Highlands, a poncho is the ticket.  Plenty of ventilation and it keeps your pack dry.

New Post
8/1/2016 12:09 PM

It has a draw cord around the bottom so basically you can pull it up and cinch it at whatever height you want it. I haven't had a problem hiking and xc sking due to the length when cinched up.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGSerape and a ponchoSerape and a poncho