Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGLongest Reasonable Trek With Ute Plus Add-Ons?Longest Reasonable Trek With Ute Plus Add-Ons?
Previous

Next
New Post
12/2/2015 11:12 AM

I have definitely switched over to the little bits more often period. It is hard to re-learn years of habits, but seems to make a difference day in and day out. Part of my issue is that I can't eat a lot of the good snacks (no nuts, coarse grains or cereals), which makes it more of a challenge. On trail crew I had a bag of hard candy I kept handy to suck on, and a small candy bar mid-afternoon wasn't unusual, it was summer/fall work, but dinner was our big meal and everyone went pretty light on breakfast and lunch. I have said it before, but will say it again, I really wish I had the understanding of food then that I do now.

It would be very interesting to see what the difference is between winter MREs and other, because in theory they are dietician designed. I am not just talking about calories, but also weight, ingredients/meals, etc... I will see what I can dig up when I have time.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
12/2/2015 11:29 AM

Here is a link to info about the winter MREs (RCW = Ration, Cold Weather).  

http://www.mreinfo.com/other-us-ratio...

Apparently, they are no longer produced and have been replaced by a new version...the MCW / LRP (Meal, Cold Weather / Long Range Patrol)...which is likely very similar.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
12/2/2015 2:45 PM

They also made a "summer" MRE called the TOTM, for already lard-assed national guard truck drivers.  No M&M's or desert. They came in a clear outer wrapper, as I recall.

New Post
12/2/2015 5:51 PM

Hello, and again not trying not to sidetrack this thread. But what shelter is Evan using that is 1.5 pounds and is Winter worthy for the Rockies?

New Post
12/2/2015 6:04 PM

AnthonyP wrote:
Hello, and again not trying not to sidetrack this thread. But what shelter is Evan using that is 1.5 pounds and is Winter worthy for the Rockies?

Not sure what Evan's testing, but there are fully enclosed shelters out there that can handle winter weather.  Most always, they are going to be single wall shelters.  The biggest downside with those is the condensation and they aren't quite as warm as a double wall.  Here's one that meets the 1.5 lb mark and looks intriguing to me:

http://www.hikelight.com/six-moon-des...

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
12/3/2015 11:56 AM

A shelter of my own construction. All details are classified at this point ;-) I will say that the six moon designs are the very closest things on the market to my design.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
12/3/2015 4:07 PM

That Six Moon Lunar Solo is a highly regarded shelter by long-trail types. Seen a few on the AT.  I read a PCT account of a guy who said his would take a pretty good blow, don't recall particulars.  For winter use though, I don't think you can beat a hex (Golite SL3) or a mid(square pyramid).  The hex for solo and the mid for two and a small stove.  For summer western rambling though, I think that Lunar Solo would be the ticket.

New Post
12/23/2015 3:21 PM

I know that this isn't winter, but this spring I did 10 days through the 100 Mile Wilderness and Baxter State Park unsupported. I carried just the Ute and Prairie Belt w/ 2 bottle holsters, and had some room to spare, especially after food started to dwindle. With my winter loadout, concieveably I should be able to make the same distance / trip time with the addition of 2 PIG pockets on the Prairie Belt, and probably a Tara docked to the top, and my shell jacket and pants strapped to the top. I haven't actually done this in winter (I think 3 days was my winter max), but given my 3 season gear load out for 10 days, I see no reason why winter gear shouldn't fit in the above. Would love to try sometime though.

New Post
12/23/2015 7:38 PM

scothill wrote:
It has been a long time since I got out for more than 4-5 days. In my mind figuring out the food is the biggest variable. It is interesting that 1.5lb a day is the goto weight for through hikers, but what do you mean it goes up by 20% after 3-4 weeks? Do you mean the amount of food needed to keep going? I have wonder what kicks the change over?

A few years ago, I did 3 months on the AT with my cousin.  It kicked in about 3 weeks into the trip and we were running about 1.5# a day for food.  This picture was at a hotel room we finally rented for the night.

The food on the bed was his dinner that night  -  a large pizza with everything on it, a philly cheese steak sandwich, order of buffalo wings, order of chili cheese fries, a desert pizza, and a bag of snacks from the grocery store.  The next morning there was only one small piece of pizza leftover. 

Long range backpacking is interesting  -  your body ends up resetting itself in so many ways after a month or two.  It's worth doing in life.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/madbomber1998/media/100_1299_zpshxkjyvxe.jpg.html]
[/URL]

New Post
12/28/2015 1:20 PM

Cold weather MRE's?

that's interesting. Nothing said fun quite like gnawing on a dehydrated pork patty and chasing it with ice water.

It seems like I heard they got rid of both of the dehydrated meat patties. too bad. they were great when compared to the beef (gristle) stew. :)

New Post
4/15/2016 10:52 PM

I was sure sorry to see this thread get side tracked and die out. Im trying to work out some of these issues for myself lately. Most of all, what is the latest on this bigger bag???

New Post
4/22/2016 9:08 PM

Ccombs wrote:
I was sure sorry to see this thread get side tracked and die out. Im trying to work out some of these issues for myself lately. Most of all, what is the latest on this bigger bag???

Planning the official announcement for this coming week, working on getting a firm production date.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/26/2016 6:09 PM

That is exciting news.

New Post
4/27/2016 6:25 AM

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGLongest Reasonable Trek With Ute Plus Add-Ons?Longest Reasonable Trek With Ute Plus Add-Ons?