Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGRunners HarnessRunners Harness
Previous

Next
New Post
12/8/2012 12:47 AM

Full-Disclosure:  I received a Runner’s Harness from Hill People gear unsolicited at no charge to me in response to some questions I had about possible solutions for my KB / Tara setup.  I have been impressed with this product as I had been with the other HPG products I have purchased and would like to provide a review of my experience with the Runner’s Harness as used on my recent elk-hunting trip in Colorado.

I’m 5’-8” and 155 lbs. and an active hunter from Colorado.  I think my smaller size contributes to my issues that were resolved with the Runner's Harness.

Originally I found the Hill brothers’ web site while searching for a pistol carry option.  I purchased the Kit Bag in the summer of 2011.  It fit all of my desired criteria, including (keep the pistol safe, accessible, out of sight, and not strapped to my pack or belt). 

I found a system with the Kit Bag that provided quick access to most of my hunt driven items that would keep my pack on my back and my legs moving.

Several months later I purchased the Tarahumara and the Mountain Serape.  The Tara’s yolk shoulder straps fit my frame pretty well, although if I over tighten the straps the yolk will bunch at the neck.  I have found that its size is sufficient for what I need on a day out hunting for elk and doesn’t allow me to overload by bringing too many unnecessary items.

I was having difficulty wearing both the Tara and Kit Bag without it feeling restrictive to my arm movement.  Essentially the original kit bag width plus the Tara straps beyond the Kit Bag is greater than my chest dimensions.  In an attempt to resolve the issue I attached the Kit directly to the Tara straps using the included load-lifter hardware and completely removed the Kit’s harness.   I had ordered the runners-strap earlier and found it necessary to keep the Kit secure on my front since the kit harness was removed.

While the arrangement worked to reduce the width and the perceived arm restriction, it was still very cobbled together and time consuming to get in and out of the packs (three buckles to be clipped).  I found it mildly comfortable, but also found the weight of both the front and rear pack to be a little much to be only on my shoulders.

I discussed my difficulties with this arrangement via email with the Hill brothers. 

They responded with a few suggestions… namely, lighten your load and try the Runner’s Harness.

A few weeks later I received a runner’s harness in the mail with no explanation.  It arrived in time to test it for four days during my elk rifle season.  Perhaps a review to share my experience would be an appropriate “Thank You” note.

I was fairly skeptical that this would be much of an improvement over my own jury-rigged system, but immediately upon installing the runner’s harness, I found that the setup was very comfortable, very stable, and now only required to one buckle to mount.  The fit was clearly better, although it is difficult to put my finger on what exactly changed to make it feel more compact and secure.

The primary drawback at this time is I loose the feature of slipping the pack off and keeping the Kit Bag in place.  To a certain extent I’m loosing some of the functionality that drew me to the KB in the first place… but it is a very comfortable and functional system that would be tough to beat.

Next I may be using the Prairie Belt to carry the Mountain Serape instead of hanging it off the bottom of the Tara.  The possibilities are various and exciting. 

Thanks Hill Bros!

New Post
2/1/2013 6:50 PM

I thought you'd be a good test for the Runner's Harness setup because you are clearly using your gear under real field conditions and had a frame size at the opposite end of the spectrum from ours. Thanks for letting others know how it worked out for you.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
2/28/2013 8:16 AM

I hope this is the right place to post this question- has anyone else had trouble ordering a ranger green runners harness? It appears to be in stock but I cannot check out with it in my cart.

Thanks for making such well thought out products HPG!

-Derek

New Post
2/28/2013 9:45 AM

derekmjones wrote

I hope this is the right place to post this question- has anyone else had trouble ordering a ranger green runners harness? It appears to be in stock but I cannot check out with it in my cart.

Thanks for making such well thought out products HPG!

-Derek

They were out of stock, but I just got shipping infromation from FS so we are now accepting backorders.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/28/2013 10:19 AM

Ah, I see. Thanks! I will be putting in for one and a Tara pack to go with the kit bag I ordered yesterday. 

New Post
10/26/2013 1:03 PM

I was wondering if the Runners Harness would work in conjunction with the Umlindi? I'm not a trail runner and my pack load would be staying in the 12-18 lb range not counting my Recon/Kit bag. 

Thanks in Advance,

Cargo

New Post
12/13/2013 8:09 PM

evanhill wrote

....When you order a Tarahumara, if you prefer the Runner's Harness instead of the regular one, just send a follow up email to info@hillpeoplegear.com requesting the change and we'll switch out harnesses. ....

The original post was from quite some time ago. Is this still a valid offer?

New Post
12/13/2013 8:43 PM

chukrad wrote

evanhill wrote

....When you order a Tarahumara, if you prefer the Runner's Harness instead of the regular one, just send a follow up email to info@hillpeoplegear.com requesting the change and we'll switch out harnesses. ....

The original post was from quite some time ago. Is this still a valid offer?

Yes it is.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
3/15/2014 11:23 AM

Question, apologies if it has already been addressed elsewhere. Would the Runners Harness work with the Ute?

New Post
3/15/2014 12:24 PM

It will fit just fine, as to whether or not it works well together I can't say.  I have used a Runners Harness with Umlindi for a winter mountain biking load, but never tried one with a Ute.  I am not sure I would recommend it as you loose the ability to use one without the other, and with the size of the Ute I feel like that would be an issue, but without knowing your use can't really say.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/21/2014 7:34 PM

Hey guys, I just got the Tara/snubby kit bag/runners harness setup and I'm looking to use this for ultra running. I haven't run with it or even really spent that much time wearing it yet, but I did rig it up and put it on. This thing is snug but I felt the top of the shoulder straps on the harness pressed high up on the back of my neck. I'm 5'7" 165 lbs. Have any runners on here experienced rubbing issues on the back of the neck from the runners harness? Is there something I can do to fix this?

I'm gonna take it out for some runs this weekend and I'll see if this becomes an issue or not.

New Post
8/22/2014 1:23 PM

Shorten the straps between the back of the harness and the top of the Tara and then lengthen either of the two (or both) front straps. When adjusted properly, the "U" in the center of the harness should be 1-2" below the nape of your neck.

New Post
8/22/2014 9:46 PM

Thanks for the tip Evan. I placed a bladder in the Tara for the first time and that alone made the harness stay off the nape of my neck. I took it for a run today and it held up great.

New Post
9/12/2014 11:33 AM

Is the Runners Harness adaptable to any other packs besides the Tarahumara? Just curious because the ultra runner in the pics on the Runners Harness product page doesn't look like he is wearing a Tara. Maybe he is and its just out of view. I thought maybe he was wearing a light hydration pack or something.

"The time has come to stand for all we believe in..." Hillsong United

New Post
9/12/2014 11:43 AM

It will technically fit on all of our packs, but I not sure you would want to use in on the Ute. I have personally used it on both a Tara and Umlindi. I have heard about it used on a couple on other packs. The runner in the picture may actually have a Umlindi back there as last I heard that is what he was working with for those kind of events, if not that a Tarahumara. Both can go really small if compressed and lightly loaded.

New Post
9/13/2014 7:44 AM

Irelander wrote:
Is the Runners Harness adaptable to any other packs besides the Tarahumara? Just curious because the ultra runner in the pics on the Runners Harness product page doesn't look like he is wearing a Tara. Maybe he is and its just out of view. I thought maybe he was wearing a light hydration pack or something.

I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong place, but I cannot see a pack on him at all... 

New Post
9/15/2014 9:30 AM

Me either...that is why I thought maybe he was hiding one of those small camelback hydration packs or something similar. I do see a hydration tube so he must have some sort of bladder back there. I suppose if all he has in a Tara is a hydration bladder then he could cinch it down pretty small and it might not show from the angles the pictures were taken.

Anyway, I am in the market for a Tara with the Runner's Harness. I've been venturing off the pavement lately for my runs and stretching them out to longer distances. Since there is more to look at in the woods I think I can run farther since my mind is occupied with things other than pain. I've been running with my original pattern Snubby KB and I love it, but I've been wishing I had a small pack to carry some water and small first aid kit and maybe a few other essentials. I tried a couple of packs but they would bounce too much. I'm anxious to try the Tara and KB tied together with the Runner's Harness!

New Post
9/15/2014 9:43 AM

We are talking about 1 of 9 and 5 of 9 on the Runner's Harness detail page right? I guess I don't understand why you think you would be able to see the Tarahumara when he is running right at you? It is not that big a pack. Even fully loaded you probably wouldn't be able to see it at all from in front and would need a full side profile, or rear to see it, which is why we also provide those angles. The Tarahumara is designed as a light hydration pack that can do a lot more due to design.

New Post
9/15/2014 2:21 PM

Yes those are the pics we are referring to. I was not aware that the Tara could cinch down that tight. At first I thought the runner did not have a pack on and that confused me. But I understand now that a pack of that size may not be visible from that angle.

New Post
9/15/2014 2:36 PM

I don't think it's a matter of sinching down the pack. It's a small pack. Go the to Tara page and look at it some of the photos. It's really small. If you're familiar with the Camelbak MULE, it's very similar to that in terms of dimensions, and the HPG harness allows it ride low.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGRunners HarnessRunners Harness