Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGRunners HarnessRunners Harness
Previous

Next
New Post
5/23/2012 10:55 AM

Some pictures:

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa
1 Reports 
New Post
5/23/2012 8:17 PM

A few more thoughts on the RKB/Tarrahumara with the runners harness.

!st all the above photos were taken by my wife Deb.

The combo rides amazingly well. No bounce, no chafing, no slip sliding around and has a very low fiddle factor. Basiclly, you unhook one side of the Grimlock at the Kit Bag, slip your other arm and head through the harness. Re-attach the Grimlock and cinch the straps to comfortable tension.

My 1st impression of the Tara was good but I thought I might miss the multitude of pockets that were on the Ultimate Direction pack I have run with since the late 90's. After using the Tara a lot, I not only don't miss all the pockets, but have come to prefer the simplicity. For organization, I use a series of stuff sacks and/or pullouts, that way everything is in the one pack pocket but easy to identify.

The best feature of the Tarahuma, in my opinion is the narrowness of the pack. Even with a full load and waterbottles in the external pockets there is no contact with the pack during arm swing or ski pole motion. I'm really stoked at using this setup next winter while skate skiing snowmobile trails.

I will have additional photos and a more complete comparison with the RKB/Tarahumara and the Ultimate SpeedDemon after this coming weekend, but it will sufice to say that the HPG is my go to daypack for all outdoor endeavors.

New Post
6/5/2012 7:02 PM

New pics and a mini review on the first page, first post.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Excuse me while I whip this out.

New Post
6/8/2012 8:05 AM

question about the runners harness- how different is this from just using a kit bag with the tarahumara? advantages of not having the numerous straps and double harness on your back, but couldnt you just rig up the grimlocks to grab onto the tarahumara's shoulder harness straps on top and on the bottom? 

additionally, the other way around- could you use the runners harness without a kit bag? and just connect the shoulder harness to the padded strap from the bottom of the tarahumara?    -> and if so, can you order a tarahumara with the runners harness instead of the usual shoulder harness? 

New Post
6/8/2012 9:38 AM

Gm2011,

I haven't tried rigging them without certain components. Running the set up without the kit bag would pretty much be the same as running a stock Tara. I am biased, but I REALLY like the set up. It is super stable and comfortable. I hated having the straps everywhere with a little pack. This cuts out all the extra stuff and really cleans it up as you have noted. Are there any other pics you would like to see that would shed some light on any aspect of the set up?

Joe

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Excuse me while I whip this out.

New Post
6/8/2012 2:08 PM

gm2011 wrote

... couldnt you just rig up the grimlocks to grab onto the tarahumara's shoulder harness straps on top and on the bottom? 

Yes, but I doubt it feels as comfortable as the runner's harness, with its little pad and elastic loop.

I mated the upper grimlock 'biners on the kit bag directly to the lower part of the Tara's padded shoulder straps, then I used the short buckle side of the docking straps to mate the bottom grimlock 'biners on the kit bag to the lower webbing straps of the Tara. I had to get an extra pair of grimlock 'biners for the bottom of the kit bag. The bag rides on the chest about where it is in Ed T's photos.

New Post
6/8/2012 5:12 PM

husky,

Care to show some pics?  I would be interested to see how it compares to the real deal.

New Post
6/8/2012 6:32 PM

You bet Mr. Hayes. LOL, after seeing these pics, I need to get on a workout program!

I like it better than doubling up harnesses, I doubt it is as good as the runner's harness.

New Post
6/11/2012 4:26 PM

Although I have not yet used my Runners Harness (it's in the mail) I am really looking forward to seeing it work.  I was concerned a wee bit about having three sets of straps (Recon Kit Bag, Tara and load bearing harness) all on top of each other.  Since I have to wear armour for almost everything we do in the bush, the Recon Kit Bag will be great as a "commanders panel" (as known by military specific companies) for binos, map, GPS notebook/pens; coupled with the Tara for day pack stuff.  Used to be I would just push everything down the front of my smock, not so now.

The gear is outstanding, keep it up.

New Post
6/12/2012 1:27 PM

Joe-

just a curious follow up question as to whether the tarahumara could be sold with the new runners harness instead of the usual HPG shoulder harness?

thanks

New Post
6/12/2012 2:06 PM

gm2011 wrote

Joe-

just a curious follow up question as to whether the tarahumara could be sold with the new runners harness instead of the usual HPG shoulder harness?

thanks

Same here....love to know.

New Post
6/12/2012 4:50 PM

It's in the works is all I can say right now.  Leaning yes over no though!

New Post
6/12/2012 4:59 PM

JoeHayes wrote

It's in the works is all I can say right now.  Leaning yes over no though!

It would make great sense!

New Post
6/12/2012 5:47 PM

The answer is yes... Joe and I didn't communicate very well this morning. When you order a Tarahumara, if you prefer the Runner's Harness instead of the regular one, just send a follow up email to info@hillpeoplegear.com requesting the change and we'll switch out harnesses. Don't wait to send that email though... Joe is quick on the draw when it comes to getting orders boxed up! Please note that this might cause a shipping delay because Runner's Harness inventory isn't tied to Tarahumara inventory and there's a slight chance we're out of that particular color of harness and can't put your order together right away. When we are backordered on something, it's usually only for 5 days. Also note that we don't (and won't) have any Runner's Harnesses in multicam.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
6/24/2012 3:59 PM

I had a long email back and forth with Mr. Hayes, and based on his advice, I ordered a Tarahumara with Runner's Harness and a Kit Bag, all in coyote. I received it yesterday, got it set up with what I would carry for the most part (aside from food) for a multi-day trail running and backpacking trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway here in North Carolina.

The pictures below are from yesterday when I first got it. As you can see, I put some ITW Webbing Dominators on the straps (since I'm tiny and have to adjust it all the way - 5'10", 40" chest, 30" waist, 150 lbs). Today I added more food to the inside, swapped out the 3L hydration carrier for a 1.5L (more comfortable for my back, since the 3L is so bulky), and added a couple Glock mags. I took it out for a 10 mile run in the heat of the day. It took a few hundred yards to get used to it (I usually run with a plate carrier, so the weight distribution is different), and the Webbing Dominators saved my sanity (barely any flopping around). My lower back was unhappy about halfway through, but about a mile later, I didn't notice. There are a couple spots on my sides where I got rubbed a little raw, but I was running shirtless, and that's to be expected.

Currently loaded up with:

Suunto compass, OSOE micro wallet, pad and pen, Princeton Tec Remix Pro headlamp, keys, Fenix mini flash light, Exotac nanostriker XL, Zero Tolerance 0350ST, extra ITW grimlocs, Glock 26 with 3 mags total (secured with velcro strap), ITS Tactical ETA medkit in HSGI mini EOD pouch, Nalgene 32 oz, Source Hydration 1.5L bladder (Gerber 3L pictured below), assortment of food and clothing.

Overall, I am very happy with this product. I will be going on a 3-day trail running expedition soon, and Mr. Hayes has subtly issued a challenge to see if I can fit 3 days' worth of food, water, shelter, and ancillary gear into this pack while still running 10-30 miles a day... I will do an in-depth write-up after my attempt.

New Post
6/24/2012 11:36 PM

I'm diggin it man. With the size of kit your running and the goals you have, spending a few bucks may get you a more comfortable set up. Like that large mouth bladder would drive me crazy I believe. Platypus makes their bladders with much smaller caps I think. 

New Post
6/25/2012 2:04 PM

Set up looks awesome, I agree with Joe about the hydration system.  I do not use an hydration bladder very often (still prefer water bottles - easier to clean) but I do use them for long running and at 'work'.  Try Source Hydration (stand alone) low profile ones, no filler caps.  The hose's clip on and off very easily, they are excellent , easy to clean and can double as a waterproof bag.

New Post
6/25/2012 8:21 PM

Since I took those pictures, I've been running with a 1.5L Source Hydration bladder in the back. I don't even notice it being there since it is very low profile. That Gerber 3L is only sitting in my closet for when I go out with someone else. They inevitably need water, and I don't mind carrying all the weight.

New Post
7/10/2012 8:15 PM

I've been using the Runners Harness as a day-hiking / peak-bagging setup. It's the most comfortable way I've found to carry up to 20 lbs. I love it.

(That's a Serape strapped to the bottom. It's not the lighest insulating piece, but the setup is so comfortable that I don't mind carrying the extra weight of the Serape over just a normal puffy jacket.)

New Post
9/8/2012 4:45 PM

What a sweet rig. It's so cool to have watched to evolution of this system. I need to get in on this.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGRunners HarnessRunners Harness