Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWhatWhat's in your Highlander set up
Previous

Next
New Post
4/18/2012 12:18 PM

The Highlander/Duplex frame set up seemed fiddly at first. Then, I fiddled with it some more and really like it now. I tired using a sil bag as the insert, but it was just to floppy when trying to get it in. I would tighten one side and the other would spill out. Again, fiddly. I had some Mystery Ranch load cells from an old job laying around and tried those. I have one large and one small. It works great. Makes for a pack that is narrow and neat. Important to me. I cant stand the turtle shells currently made for the frame.

I really like that I can leave it packed sans sleeping bag and just throw my sleeping bag ontop. With traditional packs, my bag is at the bottom and affects the loading of it so much it was hard to leave them packed when not in use.

Put my tent (GoLite SL5) at the bottom in its supplied stuff sack. The Large Load Cell is stacked ontop of that.

Tyvek sheet and UL cargo chair fit quite nicely

Right now I'm using two down summer bags to get me through the nights here in OR as all my gear is in TN.  They go in the small Load Cell on top.

In the HL itself

Not an all inclusive list, but just a thought on how you use the HL/frame combo.  I will say I don't like having the water weight that far away from CG.  Evan, any thoughts on putting canteen pockets on the upcoming purpose built pack bag ?

I used the supplied attached female buckle and 2 male ones I had laying around for compression.  The G hooks I took off to accomplish this were then added to the excess webbing and create more compression.  I did this mostly so I wont lose them.  It works pretty well though.

Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Selah.- Psalm 55:7

New Post
4/18/2012 1:17 PM

Thanks for the post and pictures JH. Go check your mail box for a USPS priority mail package.

I went back and forth over wand pockets (bottle pockets) on the packbag. The first version had them, the final version doesn't. I decided I was trying to do too many things with the first version and pared it way back with the second version. Kind of lost sight of the fact that we need a simple, general purpose, solution that will go on lots of different frames. The simplifications should cut cost quite a bit, and it cut weight by half a pound in 500d. We'll probably have an identical one in sil.

When we have our own frame with the luxury of a pack bag built for that frame and that frame alone, it will most certainly have wand / bottle pockets.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/18/2012 3:38 PM

Offering them in two different fabric choices is a great idea.  500d and sil being the two logical choices.

Mail box checked.  I really like what I see here.  Your pics of the pack bag so far left a lot out!  The daisy chain compression running down the front is so useful I would call it neccesary.  With all the attachment points on it, I think the how to button at the top of the page here needs to become a bit more robust!!!

Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Selah.- Psalm 55:7

New Post
5/2/2012 3:52 PM

Just attatched my Highlander and other gear to the MR NICE frame. It works, but there are only 2 anchor points on a MR frame unlike those of Kifaru, so the middle strap is not connected to the frame- no biggy.

I don't have much in the pack, mainly water for ascent training- I also slipped the Tara inbetween the Highlander and frame so I could do some trail running with it.

Very versatile set up with the H-lander and Comp Kit. I can still haul out a whole pig as a load sling, while putting my day gear insinde the Highlander. I also think that when the pack bag is released it will serve well since I can just load that up, place it in the sling then dump it once I set up camp.

oh and the canteen pouches work brilliant on the MR frame

here is a quick photo

New Post
5/2/2012 4:00 PM

At the 20" height of the MR NICE, I would only expect you to be using 2 instead of 3 compression straps. Even at the 24" height of a Kifaru MMR, 3 straps can sometimes be overkill.

Take a look at the "Mount Bottle Holsters" page under the "How To" menu item above. You don't have the attachment quite right. Once you do, you'll *really* like how those bottle holsters work.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/2/2012 4:27 PM

fixed the bottle holsters- much better, thanks

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWhatWhat's in your Highlander set up