Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGThe perfect comboThe perfect combo
Previous

Next
New Post
2/12/2019 10:19 PM

So, I’m a long time lurker and full confession, I don’t own ang HPG yet. But after a few careful months consideration, I think I’ve reached a decision on the best combination but I’d like your input. 

I think the best combo starting out is a Connor and Qui-ya. This would give you solo day trip capability and multi day capability. It would also allow you to combine the 2 for load hauling hunting purposes. 

I think the final addition would be a AHBC with Aston pocket for midrange. It supports heavier loads than an Umlindi and a bit more versatile with the panel loader. You can swap in your prairie belt or leave it behind for more urban use.

So, after months of poring over forums, videos, and whatnot, i’m looking for feedback. Am I over thinking things? I live in the Canadian Rockies so I have to plan for different weather and elevations. And shipping to Canada is kind of a commitment. So I’m trying to be sure before I commit. 

Finally, what is your perfect combination? Why?

New Post
2/13/2019 10:39 PM

I own those three myself, and would suggest a kit bag as well.  My elk hunt this year was with the Qui-ya, Conner and Original Kit Bag v2.  I hiked in 5 miles, camped 3 nights, and had everything I needed.  Honestly I couldn't have carried much more, though the packs had capacity to spare.  I take my 20 guage with me, because I like to shoot grouse, so I have a pack bucket tied into the Conner when I am out hunting during the day.  I used the Prairie Belt to carry extra water & some electronics, and have most of my 10 essentials in the kit bag.  I took the framesheet out of the Conner for weight purposes, and to have easier use as a support for my rifle.  I wasn't using bi-pods this year.  The flexibility with the Qui-Ya, Conner and a Kit Bag is nice.  After hunting season I got a Back Country and a second Prairie Belt, and use it everywhere.  It's my computer bag, hiking bag, range bag, varmit bag, overnight bag.  It's close to perfect, with the outside zipper, two zippers on top, and one on bottom.  I have the Aston Panel, and will get a pocket at some point (paralyzed by over-analysis right now).  The Conner is a great computer bag as well, and my wife uses it for her day hike bag.  It's going to be her Machu Picchu carry this fall, and I will have the Aston BC.  Do you think the Decker would be an alternative to the Qui-Ya for you?  

New Post
2/14/2019 11:27 AM

No, I don't think the Decker is a better alternative. The Decker is a niche product, it is specifically designed for those who don't want to put meat in their pack bag, or folks who need to carry something that doesn't fit in the pack bag. Other than that you are going to better off with a purpose built pack. It is going to be easier/quicker to pack, less finicky about how you pack it, and in my experience unitize the load a lot better. I think the majority of folks are going to find it is great for that one or two days of hauling meat, once a year or less, and other wise a regular pack is going to work better. You can also just put your meat between the back pocket and main bag, and allow the main bag to compress onto the frame of a qui-Ya if you don't want to put meat in the pack bag. I guess the easiest way to put it is, that the qui-Ya is a daily use pack, and the decker is a load specific use pack.

As far as the perfect combination, if I could only have two packs from HPG it would be an Umlindi and qui-Ya with a Palspocket. I am personally not a fan of panel loaders for packs. I like them for the pocket, but not the pack. I actually use an Aston House as my light pack because I like the way it carries better than my Connor, at the same size as the Connor and it compresses better than the BC. I only do that because I was able to grab a demo return that was a bit beat up. I don't like panel loaders because in my experience they are harder to pack and get a compact load, and as a result in my experience they just don't carry as well. The Umlindi is the go to day pack for everyone at HPG. We all try different packs, but in the end come back to the Umlindi, it just carries so dang well, and with the addition of a pocket and top stuff sack really has a lot of capacity for larger loads. If I could only have one HPG pack it would probably be the Ute it compresses way down for day pack use and can be plused up for overnight use. The reality is that we all like to think about the multi-day trips, but use a pack for day use a lot more. My recommendation at this point is to truly assess what you use a pack for the most and then buy that pack first. If that is multi-day trips then go for it, but if it is day hikes then get the smaller pack first.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/14/2019 1:26 PM

My perfect combo:

• Umlindi with a Recon belt and a PALSpocket
• V2 Kit Bag

With the above, I can cover a LOT of uses, and if I was only going to own two HPG packs (with a few add-on pockets), it would be those two.

New Post
2/14/2019 1:34 PM

I don't think of a kit bag as a pack, but if we are considering them as such then make mine a V2.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/14/2019 9:24 PM

Thanks for the description and use case Scott appreciate it.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGThe perfect comboThe perfect combo