Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGLimited Mobility and the KBLimited Mobility and the KB
Previous

Next
New Post
10/14/2016 9:17 AM

So here is a little back story/explanation of my current situation....

I LOVE bikes, ride all the time. I am fortunate enough that my job allows me the opportunity to take the bikes on my work trips and I even teach a few classes a year that involve offroad driving/riding in some of the most beautiful areas in the US. A few weeks ago I was out west and hit some gravel on a corner that put me into a lowside. I would have been fine if it weren't for a rock that was half buried in the road that decided it didn't want to move when my right foot hit it. Long story short I broke my ankle in 7 places requiring a bunch of new hardware to put it back together and broke my Fibula in 3 places up by my knee...... good times. needless to say I am on crutches now for quite some time. 

Enter the Kit Bag....

As any one knows that has been on crutches it is a pain in the @$$ trying to carry anything and get to the gear you have if you decide to run a back pack. The KB is the perfect solution. The harness does not rub/chafe/get in the way of common underarm crutches and the size and position does not throw your balance off (which is especially important for people that are new to crutches) I am currently using a forearm crutch called the Smart Crutch which is much more comfortable to get around on but the down side is you cant lean on them to stabilize yourself as easily when you are using your hands for other tasks.  this is ware the KB really shines. Having everything up front and accessible so you don't have to shift a lot of weight around (ie a backpack/messenger bag) is a Godsend. It is also very nice having everything right there when I am in a wheelchair.... I don't have to dig for things hanging in a bag off the back of a chair. Carrying a firearm on crutches and in a wheelchair presents other issues as well depending on carry style, again this is mitigated by the use of the KB. My current KB load out is as follows (from back to front):

G19 w/spare mag 

Moleskin notebook and a few note cards, pencil, fine tip permanent marker, bandanna, Merino wool buff, small folding knife, headlamp, multi tool, meds, small first aid/wound care kit (4x4, bandage, steri-strips, ace wrap, band-aids.....)

wallet, light weight watch cap, write in rain notebook, another knife, chap-stick, small tube of hand lotion, keys on a Key-Bar, and a few AAA batteries

The load out changes a little depending on the events of the day but these items are the base and pretty much always stay in there. I hope this helps!!!

Love to be outside running bikes and guns... Director of Mil/LE Sales Vortex Optics

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGLimited Mobility and the KBLimited Mobility and the KB