Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSleeping pad questionSleeping pad question
Previous

Next
New Post
3/22/2012 7:29 PM

Quick question. Has anyone here ever cut (made shorter) and sucessfully resealed a big agnes or equivalent inflatable air pad? Thought I'd check the vast store of knowledge here before I got out the scissors. Nobody makes a short and wide (25") insulated pad, and I don't need to carry 76+ inches of bulk. Kookabay used to do custom pads but they went out of business, and I can't seem to find another custom designer. Thanks

New Post
3/22/2012 8:15 PM

Brave man! The Neoair Trekker was made in a short wide. You might scour the internet for a new old stock or used one. I'm using a long wide Neoar Trekker and couldn't be happier. Seems to have been replaced with the all season.

As far as sealing, I'm imagining using one of those vacuum packer / sealer things.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
3/22/2012 8:45 PM

Sound like something you may want to practice on a cheap mat first. I wished the neoair all season came in shorter but still wide when I ordered, but no luck. On the bright side, it gives my beagle a place to lay when I'm sleeping!

Please report back with your findings. I would love to see it turn out successful. 

Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Selah.- Psalm 55:7

New Post
3/22/2012 9:45 PM

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kumSl-cbLlY

I am not sure if the same can be done to Big Agnes pad, should not be too different. FWIW I wish that they made a Neoair that is 26"x80". Looks like I am going to be using an Exped Synmat UL Large/Wide (thank you REI dividend) this year instead of a Neoair.

New Post
3/22/2012 11:00 PM

Big W,

Im actually going away from the Exped UL in favor of the horizontal baffles in the all season. I suppose with the wide it wont be a problem, but in the regular I would fall off. I too went With the large this time 

Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Selah.- Psalm 55:7

New Post
3/22/2012 11:17 PM

My favorite summer pad is a BA clearview but I went to a Neoair and decided that I liked the horizonal baffles a lot better. This fall I picked up an exped downmat 9 DLX for cold weather use and I am sleeping much better than I did on the Neoair. So now I am going back to the vertical baffles with the Synmat UL, I will see how that goes. The reason I bought a synmat over a Neoair is because its 1" longer, 1" wider and .3' thicker. Not much but every little bit helps with comfort.

New Post
3/23/2012 12:34 AM

I still have the UL. I just gave it to my wife so I could get more gear! But yeah, every bit helps and sleep is so important on the trail. 

New Post
6/12/2012 1:41 PM

This is probably past the point now but, I have recently picked up a MultiMat Superlite.  MultiMat is a UK company (they have a US distributor) specializing in lightweight, waterproof and puncture proof self-inflating mats.  The superlite is rated 10 to 110F with R4 rating  (probably be pretty comfortable down to 0, add some pine boughs underneath the mat or another barrier between the mat and bivvy bag).  It is 500g and full length (6' 6").  These are outstanding.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSleeping pad questionSleeping pad question