Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSleeping PadSleeping Pad
Previous

Next
New Post
7/24/2014 12:27 PM

For years I have used a Ridgerest sleeping pad and been happy with its light weight and durability. What I haven't liked are its bulkiness when traveling and thinness when sleeping on hard ground. As the years have passed the ground has gotten harder and rockier to the point that I find myself on the hunt for a new sleeping pad. The more I look at different options and read customer reviews the more confused I become as to which pad would make a good replacement. Generally the criteria I'm looking at are compactness for travel, light weight, and reliability/durability. I've bounced back and forth between Exped and Thermarest models thinking more than once I had settled on one only to be disuaded by reading negative customer reviews.

What say ye, the members of this forum? I'm looking for both positive and negative experiences.

Thanks,

Kevin

New Post
7/24/2014 12:48 PM

I have an exped, big agnes, and neoair (two different weights), and the neoairs are hands down the most comfortable for me. I have also been hearing recent reports of seam issues with the expeds. In the neoairs I prefer the heavier trekker version from REI, due to it being a bit beefier in materials. I just picked up a used lightweight one so time will tell if the trade off of a bit smaller and lighter is worth it. The only issues I have had with the neoairs is the valves seem to be a bit less robust than the other ones. My first neoair lasted me a lots of nights with no issues. I finally got rid, of and got a new one when I got a leak somewhere I just couldn't find, but that was after several years and a lot of nights. I have come to the conclusion that pads are either super robust or have a useful life of a couple or three years.

Screw a ridge rest

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
7/24/2014 1:36 PM

There's always this:

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/04/23/warrior-expo-armageddon-gear/

New Post
7/24/2014 4:40 PM

scothill wrote:

Screw a ridge rest

AGREED!

Many of the reviews I read about the Exped reported seam leaks as well. I think you're right about robustness and light weight being an either or feature. I need to adjust my mindset to realizing a light pad is not going to be as permanent as my Ridge Rest.

Whiskeyz:

The PUSS Pad looks interesting, but at this stage of the game I want/need more cushioning!

Thanks.

Anyone else???

New Post
7/24/2014 5:37 PM

I always carry a closed cell foam chair. After re-patching my REI one a couple of times (and lots of use), I got a crazy creek hexlite. They're the original anyway and much higher quality than the REI one.

How this relates to sleeping pads is that I always put my closed cell chair open on top of my Neo-air. Adds R-value and comfort (underneath doesn't help nearly as much with R-value). And if my Neo-air fails me on the trail I've still got a 3/4 length closed cell foam pad.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
7/24/2014 5:43 PM

Thanks, Evan. I'm headed over to the Crazy Creek site to check the chair out. That was actually an option I considered after seeing one during a trip to the BWCAW earlier this summer.

New Post
8/2/2014 10:31 AM

For 3 season use I am a big fan of the Klymit Inertia X-Frame Recon and the Inertia XL Recon (a bit more cushy). Both have put up with lots of use in very rough conditions. Very light, pack small (pop can size and bike bottle size, respectively). They are also pretty decently priced, especially if one purchases them through Promotive.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
9/2/2014 7:12 AM

I think the Exped models which have had a few problems have been their ultralight - UL range. My Exped Downmat 9 lw has survived my not-inconsiderable weight with no problems, as have many downmats - NOT the UL version - of my friends. And without a shadow of a doubt it is the warmest mat I've ever used, Comfort, as I'm over 60 now, is much appreciated too! It never ceases to amaze me how some people will spend a fortune on sleeping bags, yet completely overlook how much heat is lost from an inadequate pad.

In the warmer months I have been impressed with the Luxurylite cots. Pack down small, really comfy and keep you off the floor (if only by a few inches!). Not cheap though...

New Post
9/15/2014 10:56 PM

I know this thread is a little bit older but I have been really happy with my Thermarest Trail Scout for when size and weight is the main focus. I don't recommend the Trail Scout in particular if you need maximum insulation/padding or if you're a big guy (I'm stumpy so by "big" to me is anything over 5'10" and about 190lbs) but they make several similar models that are progressively wider/longer for bigger folks. Anyways I don't remember if mine's a small or a medium but it packs down to less than 6x11" and weighs about a pound. I've used it in temperatures ranging from about 32-71 degrees and it works great for me (I don't mind a little lumpiness from the ground through the pad or my legs overhanging the end, but some may absolutely hate that).

New Post
9/16/2014 10:42 PM

I really like the idea of the hex chair and just ordered one to try out. I like the idea of the compact chair on the trail and want that extra thermal protection for my torso from a sleeping pad. This should do the trick!

New Post
9/18/2014 5:35 PM

I slept on a hex chair by itself the other night. Not awesome, but not bad. Good backup for a blow up mattress or for unexpected bivouacs.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
7/2/2016 5:37 PM

Approximately how much xtra R-value is added by using the chair in this manner? Or a standard piece of closed cell foam?

New Post
7/3/2016 5:14 AM

trapperjay wrote:
Approximately how much xtra R-value is added by using the chair in this manner? Or a standard piece of closed cell foam?

I would think it's about the same as a Ridgerest, which has an R Value of 2.6.  Of course, this chair will only cover your torso.  That said, if used in the manner Evan describes, it's a good option.  I use mine all the time.  You can do the same thing with a standard Crazy Creek chair or other similar design, but the Hex 2.0 is so much easier to pack along.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/3/2016 12:30 PM

My biggest concern is the r value of my BA Oak street w/ primaloft. It's advertised as 4.1 but I'm a cold sleeper so looking for one additional layer. The chair makes sense but if it covers torso only then maybe not???

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSleeping PadSleeping Pad