Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte VS AHBCUte VS AHBC
Previous

Next
New Post
3/16/2019 12:48 PM

Hey folks. Needing help deciding on the best overall pack for me. Main needs are 1-2day camps with the potential for packing out southern whitetail deer and hogs on occasion. Will be used 90% for hiking/camping. If im on a single day its with the family and ill be needing to tote some of the larger/heavier items due to my wifes size and child age. I like the AHBC with the additional pocket, but i can really see the over all usefulness of the Ute. Either option would be ICW a prairie belt and a kit bag. 

Thanks for any help. 

New Post
3/16/2019 7:13 PM

I have both, and I think the Ute is the best overall pack.  It is large enough, especially with a pocket, for several day trips, yet it cinches down nicely for an extended day trip.  I like my AHBC, but I find it a little limited for multi day trips.  You can't go wrong with the Ute

New Post
3/16/2019 7:38 PM

Thanks. I figured the Ute would be the better over all option. There are things i like about the AHBC in terms of “to the eye,” but that only amounts to so much (or so little) when the pack is on your pack. 

New Post
3/17/2019 7:14 PM

Ute, hands down, for what you described.  I wouldn't want a smaller pack for overnighters, ESP if your insulation is mostly synthetic (more bulk)..  I just bought an AHBC, and it will be a large EDC pack.  Personally, I abhor a panel loader for multiday use.  I don't plan to stuff the AHBC to the gills, so I'm sure it'll work fine and allow convenient access as it was designed to do

New Post
3/17/2019 7:30 PM

Thank you. Looking more and more like the Ute will be the way to go. 

New Post
3/18/2019 8:44 AM

I think of the AHBC as a town and travel pack. I am just not a fan of panel loaders for back country use with a couple of niche uses. I find they don't compress as well, and in the back country I am just not getting into them as often. In my opinion, perhaps preference is a better word, for back country our current packs to look at for your uses are the Ute and Umlindi. Which one will depend on how much stuff you are going to be carrying MOST of the time. What I have found over time is that I want a pack that is a little bit bigger than what I need to carry, but is as small as possible besides that. I have also found, and this goes for all gear, it is generally best to plan for the common useage not the outliers. That way whatever I am using works better for me most of the time.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/2/2019 11:29 AM

scothill wrote:
I think of the AHBC as a town and travel pack. I am just not a fan of panel loaders for back country use with a couple of niche uses. I find they don't compress as well, and in the back country I am just not getting into them as often. In my opinion, perhaps preference is a better word, for back country our current packs to look at for your uses are the Ute and Umlindi. Which one will depend on how much stuff you are going to be carrying MOST of the time. What I have found over time is that I want a pack that is a little bit bigger than what I need to carry, but is as small as possible besides that. I have also found, and this goes for all gear, it is generally best to plan for the common useage not the outliers. That way whatever I am using works better for me most of the time.
The bolded part of Scot's quote is one of the simplest yet most profound "gear selection" statements I've ever run across. Since applying that logic to my own choices, gear selection seems simple and no longer overwhelming.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte VS AHBCUte VS AHBC