Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUmlindi and Ute Belt QuestionUmlindi and Ute Belt Question
Previous

Next
New Post
2/20/2019 7:52 PM

Hi all, I'm looking at buying the Umlindi and Ute, and I have a question on belts.

At the moment I'm using a third party belt pad (https://www.platatac.com/platatac-3s-belt-pad-mkii-nsn-d.html) which doesn't have the pocket for the pack's stays to fit in to like the Prairie Belt does. How much will this impact me? I'm curious to know how much of the load relief I'll lose by not having the stays stuck in to the belt.

Thanks.

New Post
2/21/2019 1:12 PM

I have the Ute not the Umlindi, so here is my take. If you plan to load it(Ute)down heavy, You need the pocket. Not sure of your planned use but you may get away with your current belt with the Umlindi. Ute, you would probably put a larger sag load on the shoulders and it wouldn't transfer well to the belt. I can tell you that when I loaded 60 lbs of meat in the Ute. I felt the load utilize the pocket stays. Good news. It only takes a minute or so to swap belts. If you get the Ute and Umlindi-buy at least one prairie belt. You will be amazed on the load spreading quality of the prairie belt.
Here are the specs for the load capacity on the Umlindi.
Comparative Volume: 2000ci / 30L
Beltless Chassis Capacity: 75lbs
Belted Chassis Capacity: 120lbs

New Post
2/21/2019 1:27 PM

A true load carriage belt, the one in the link isn't in my opinion, designed to work with a pack is going to be significantly better, and I will say that about any load carriage belt designed to work with a pack. A battle belt is designed differently. If I am seeing right that isn't even the full belt it is just a padded section and you have to use something like a riggers belt in concert. Using that belt on an Umlindi with a normal load is probably not a big deal. I would never recommend one on a Ute with weight in it. We don't even recommend the Recon for that use, and it is designed pack use in mind.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUmlindi and Ute Belt QuestionUmlindi and Ute Belt Question