Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPrairie vs recon belt: AHBC lugging a loadPrairie vs recon belt: AHBC lugging a load
Previous

Next
New Post
1/16/2019 6:00 AM

Apologies, as I’m sure this has been covered in a few contexts. 

I picked up an AHBC a wee while ago and have found it’s working really well for me with an Aston pocket. 

I know I’m preaching to the choir here but the bag carries really well with just the shoulder harness, even with a heavy load, which is something I appreciate if I’m not going to be hauling it all day. At the same time, it would be useful to have a waist belt for times when I will be having to wear it for extended periods.

I’m thinking of with loads upwards of 20 pounds, probably, closer to 30, if that makes a difference.  I’m a little soft around the middle, also.

Lastly, I wasn’t sure if it was possible to mount pouches to the rear of the prairie, as it doesn’t look to have any surface for such?

Thanks for any input  

New Post
1/16/2019 4:59 PM

If you are referring to attaching molle pouches to the rear of the Prairie Belt you are correct there isn't a way to do that. However, the M2016 will mount there no problem, so it just depends on what you want to do. I personally like the Prairie with both layers of foam for everything. Evan likes the Prairie for heavier loads and the Recon for lighter loads. I think Evan runs both layers of foam, but I can't remember. Kevin likes the Prairie for everything, but runs only the thin foam. That means the answer is really personal preference. The Prairie carries heavier loads better, and due to the two different foam you can set it up for your hips. The Recon is a compromise for those looking for a lighter more compact belt. Whether or not you would like it with the weights you are talking about is where the personal preference part comes in.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
1/16/2019 11:45 PM

Rob,

I would go Prairie belt.

Just to add to what Scot already mentioned. There is an extra row of PALS webbing on the prairie belt that you can take advantage of for adding pouches (Size medium: 7 on Recon, 8 on Prairie). Unless you are planning on using the Recon as a battle belt, I don't miss not having PALS on the back of the Prairie Belt. If you ever decided to buy at UTE, or Qui-Ya, you would need the Prairie belt for the stay pockets.

You can use the AHBC harness and included delta straps to create a packless, LBE setup if you just want to run bottle pouches, and a butt-pack.

One last argument for being pro Prairie belt, is that the delta straps attach to hypalon tabs (more durable),

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPrairie vs recon belt: AHBC lugging a loadPrairie vs recon belt: AHBC lugging a load