Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGTara-RKB?Tara-RKB?
Previous

Next
New Post
1/15/2019 8:45 PM

Question:  How do I most-effectively & comfortably dig my Tara and RKB? 

Background: I’ve had my RKB for several years now and use it solo for multiple outdoor activities, as well as rig it to my larger backpack chest straps for multi-day hikes (I have yet to perfect this rig). I am soon-to purchase the tara for a multi-day trip with mostly day hikes around GNP, and looking for a way to rig my Tara and RKB together now that the runners harness has been discontinued - as that setup looked ideal to what I’m looking for - and seems to be why the Tara was created in the first place. TIA

New Post
1/16/2019 11:19 AM

I use lifter straps alone. I've found I often overheat and like to take my gear off to cool down. (out of shape husky guy) I keep a pair of lifter straps in my Tara. When I want to dock the KB, pull out the Lifter Straps and hook them to the harness. Then its easy enough to hook up the KB using the grimlocs on the top of the KB.

Since I've started doing this, I rarely keep the harness on my KB.

New Post
1/16/2019 3:39 PM

Thank you for your response. That sounds like what I am looking for. I overheat too easily to wear both the KB harness and Tara, and am hoping to be able to dock the two together and drop/stow away the KB harness. If you happen to come across or snap a pic of your set-up, I’d love to see it. Thanks again.

New Post
1/16/2019 4:56 PM

Have you guys tried using the lifters, but once you have docked the kit bag loosing the lower straps all the way? If so are you getting more ventilation by removing the harness? If not give it a try I think you might find that it provides all the ventilation that removing the harness does, but still allows you to doff the pack and wear your harness.

I ran a Runner's Harness for quit awhile, and if I was just putting on my setup and leaving it on the whole time I was away from my starting point it was fine. In my case that was for mountain biking. I put it on when I left the vehicle and it came off when I got back to the vehicle. In that case I liked it because I was putting one thing on and taking one thing off. For morning or shorter rides it was perfect. However, if I was taking a longer ride it was annoying to have to take everything off or leave everything on. I ended up moving away from it for that reason. It also wasn't any cooler than wearing the kit bag with the bottoms loosened, if anything it was hotter.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGTara-RKB?Tara-RKB?