Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWhat's In Your Kit Bag?What's In Your Kit Bag?
Previous

Next
New Post
10/1/2010 4:50 PM

When you get your kit bag, you'll discover that it changes the way you organize your possibles. Some folks will optimize in the direction of the stuff they need to get at often on the trail. Others will set it up as an emergency-only stash. I sort of do a combination of the two, and what I put in it has changed over time. I'll post in more detail later, but just wanted to open the ball.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/11/2010 12:21 PM

I'm loving the kit bag, Evan.  Here's what I have in there so far:

Stubby pencil

Several sheets of waterproof paper

Orange signal panel

Signal mirror

Photon red light

Light My Fire fire steel

Matches

Spoon

Wallet, keys, phone

Sharpie

Glock 17 with a TLR-1

Spare G17 mag

This makes for a lightweight survival/admin kit.  I barely notice it is there.

New Post
10/14/2010 1:09 AM

I've only used mine while biking around town so far.  I've carried two cell phones (persona and work), a G22 and extra mag, a pen, an LED flashlight, a Petzl headlamp, and my wallet.  When heading to the mountains I'll leave one phone, and add a lighter, matches, firesteel,  a Mora knife and a small FAK.  Maybe some Scoobie snacks packed in the cracks.  I'll probably also have my TG1 though, so there won't be the need to overload the KB.

New Post
10/17/2010 12:44 AM

I've been using mine for a little more than two weeks here in Kodiak.  Made the switch from a Koala.

Browning LED hat clip light, Bic Lighter, extra battereis, small metal military style can opener (p something), pill bottle of fire paste, hearing protection, aquaseal, finger nail clippers, whistel/fire steel, surefire defender, lip balm, small bottle hand sanitizer, compass, either cell phone or GPS depending on in or out of cell service, length of p cord, emergency meds, butane torch style lighter, either a 4" Ruger Redhawk or 51/2" Ruger Bisley Blackhawk with round butted grip frame in .45 colt with 325 grain BB ammo.

Cheers,

Jason

New Post
10/21/2010 1:07 PM

I've been working forever to come up with a single bag for carrying my possibles that could be easily attached to whatever pack I wanted at the time. Typically I've got both an extended trip pack and a day pack packed. Additionally, I wanted to be able to carry the bag by itself. This is the thing I'd grab for a trip somewhere in the car (or an airplane) where I didn't need to go too agro with survival gear, but still wanted my "stuff". I've got something like 5 or 6 different iterations of such a bag going back about 10 years. Most recently, I had abandoned that quest in favor of a lightweight stuff sack that I transferred from bag to bag. Sometime in the last month I realized that I have solved this problem with the Kit Bag without even realizing it. The pile of things that are part of my "possibles" that don't live in the Kit Bag is growing smaller and smaller each time I review it. So, with all of that being said, here's what's in my Kit Bag right now:

• Garmin Foretrex GPS on custom hang loop in front pocket
  • 4.5" fixed blade knife in front pocket. See discussion and pics of that under "general". I have considered going with a lighter option, such as the benchmade nimravus I carried for so long
  • Fire starting kit - Mil issue firestarter, bic lighter, striker steel set, a few pieces of innertube
  • AMK space blanket - I might replace this with a couple of contractor's trash bags for the same weight and more utility
  • Fox 40 whistle on lanyard
  • Maps of my most common stomping grounds. We're lucky in that there is a "Central Oregon Trail Map" that provides decent resolution UTM gridded topo coverage of the entire area
  • Rifle cheat card on map paper (see free resources)
  • .75 liter platypus, empty
  • A few purification tabs
  • Cheap lightweight polypro liner gloves
  • Thin merino wool icebreaker beanie
  • Lexan spoon
  • Headlamp
  • Camera
  • Ear plugs - I keep using and losing. I need a pair of the ones on the plastic lanyard. That should help with the losing problem.
  • Gerber 6" slide out saw - I just put this in and we'll see what I think. It weighs 3oz, but provides a world of utility. It was really the only thing left in my "possibles that don't live in the Kit Bag" pile that I missed having with me always.

There are a few notable exceptions not on this list, which I'll discuss next:

• Multitool - I've always got a leatherman sideclip, bic lighter, emerson folding knife, leatherman s2 (1)AAA LED light, and chapstick in my pockets. So, I do have a multitool, it just doesn't need to live in the kit bag. I'll also often ditch the emerson for backpacking trips.
  • Compass - My typical relationship with a compass is buy a silva compass with back mirror, put it in my possibles, carry it without using it until it breaks, put the broken one in a box somewhere, buy a new compass, repeat. I know how to use a compass, I taught orienteering merit badge at BSA camp one summer, I just never use a compass. If I can pick out enough landmarks to triangulate my position, then I can terrain associate just as easily. If I can't locate myself on the map using a compass, I'm not going to have a ton of use for one to navigate with anyway. All that being said, my plan is to find a lighter, smaller, more robust option to put in the Kit Bag for that "traveling in a straight direction during a whiteout" scenario that I have yet to experience.
  • First Aid Kit - In my experience, survival and medical emergency are two different scenarios. The Kit Bag is for survival, not medical emergencies. I do carry a pretty robust first aid kit in my multi-day pack, sometimes in my day pack. However, I'm signed up for a WMI wilderness first aid course in a couple of weeks. That will give me an opportunity to re-think first aid supplies. I suspect I'll end up with a very minimal first aid setup designed to address massive bleeding. Maybe some prescription strength painkillers.
  • Pistol - left this off the original list to emphasize that I do sometimes carry the Kit Bag with no pistol in it. My preference for carry is strong side IWB. The only time I'm not carrying this way is when I've got a pack with a waist belt, or I'm backpacking. I have at times carried the Kit Bag as a shoulder bag with the .75 playtpus full of water in the pistol pocket for short duration day hikes (pistol IWB of course). I used to carry a spare mag in the Kit Bag, but recently switched from 45acp to 9mm. Now I've got more in the pistol than I used to have in the pistol plus a spare mag.

Just to round out the list, here are the things that are part of my "possibles" that don't live in the kit bag. I try to switch this tiny ultralight stuff sack full of things from one pack to the other, but don't always remember. If I fail to do so, I don't feel naked:

• Spare batteries
  • Spare mag
  • Monocular
  • More fire starting stuff
  • Sunscreen
  • Small camera tripod
  • More purification tabs
  • Sharpening steel
  • Thermometer
  • Bug dope and head net (gets switched to kit bag in season)

Which of these things do I miss if I forget that bag? The monocular occasionally. That's about it. There's probably a lesson in that.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/21/2010 8:12 PM

Nicely described Evan.  I've arrived at a pretty similar load-out with a few exceptions.  I use a monocular often so it rides in the front pocket of the KB.  Camera tripod also gets used alot so it stays up front.  Saw stays in my main pack.  I hear you on the ear plugs.  I switched to the ones with lanyards and pin them to the back of my hat with a small safety pin.  I have not lost them yet.

I carry a Glock on my side most of the time and the KB carries my Ruger 22/45 easily accessible for rabbit/plinking duties.  The KB works perfectly with my Kifaru E&E on my daily dog walks.

I would like to see how you have attached your GPS to the bag.

New Post
10/21/2010 9:13 PM

I've been using a prototype version of the kit bag for awhile (hand me down from Evan) and so I've had a bit of time to try different loads, and funny enough, the contents of my bag pretty closely resemble Evans.

By the way, here's the strap I made to carry my foretrex in my kit bag

It attaches using one of the spring bars.

And here's the contents of my kit bag:

Pistol Pocket (when carrying)

• S&W M&P9mm w/ streamlight TLR-1

Middle pocket

• More classic #1 knife
  • 1 liter platypus bladder w/ katadyn purification tabs stored in base, rubber banded.
  • snowpeak ti spork
  • space blanket
  • signal mirror
  • mini bic lighter
  • (3) AAA betteries (for GPS)
  • (2) CR-123 batteries (for TLR-1)
  • Petzl E-lite headlamp
  • Earplugs
  • Zip-lock with baby wipes
  • mini bottle of purell

Front pocket

• Map of area (I use the same central OR trail map as Evan, since I am often down there. I add different maps if I am in a different place)
  • Brunton 54LU compass
  • Fishing/Hunting license
  • Rite in the rain spiral bound notebook
  • Stubby pencil
  • flint and steel- light my fire brand
  • fox 40 whistle- attached to fire steel
  • Garmin foretrex 101 on webbing lanyard (see photo)

Since we're listing what else we carry, in a kifaru pullout I carry this stuff

• Small first aid kit
  • Gerber saw
  • 550 cord
  • Ibuprofen
  • super glue
  • Trioxane fire starter
  • bic lighter wrapped in gorilla tape
  • Extra mag for M&P

I switched over to the E-lite from a Tactikka headlamp because of the size/weight reduction. We'll see if I stick with it. Something tells me I might miss having a headlamp that uses the same batteries as my GPS....

I'll also usually carry a high powered LED flashlight, lately it's been a streamlight polytac. Might ditch this since I have a high power weapon mounted light.

I love being able to keep things out of my pockets and into my kit bag. It's comforting knowing that I can walk away from camp with my kit bag and be OK.

New Post
10/21/2010 10:43 PM

Badger's picture covers the foretrex mod Kyle. 3/4" flat webbing works perfectly for clipping into the watchband pins on the foretrex. I sew them so they're shorter than Badger did, but that's a matter of personal taste. I also use a grimlock instead of the slik clip just because it's easier to clip other places. Now that I think of it, I think I had my GPS strap made up before I made the first Kit Bag and it used to get clipped to my shoulder strap during use. The slik clip is lighter and more compact, particularly if the GPS is really only going to be in the KB. I keep the GPS on the side the front zipper closes to. When running the GPS a lot, I'll pull it out and close the zipper so the pocket is closed with the exception of the GPS hanging out on it's strap. There's also a picture here of Scot's setup (click on the thumbnail to see it full size):

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Home/tabid/762/ctl/ProductDetails/mid/1916/ProductID/2/Default.aspx

New Post
10/21/2010 10:47 PM

Yeah, definitely made mine a bit long....

New Post
10/27/2010 1:20 PM

My travels since buying the kit bag haven't taken me on extended trips but i've managed about 30 hrs of wear time; flyfishing and a few long slogs on the mountain bike.

My first impression was it was too wide.  Specifically, I was worried about it inhibiting movement for bowhunting, flyfishing and general wilderness activities.  That impression was replaced with reality - it is a good size and stays snug to the chest and out of the way. It was a breeze to set up and adjusts easily from one trip to the next and fits well on top of a single layer or my Subzero Mtn Hardwear Parka.  I forget I have it on. 

Contents - I keep the middle pocket zippers on the opposite side from inner pocket since i kept getting the middle pocket zippers confused with the inner.  i don't need to access the pistol just to change flies...

fly fishing (steelhead): Inner Pocket - Surefire (placed opposite of draw side), .40S&W.  Middle Pocket - large fly box, (3) maxima spools, pliers, license, camera, spyderco fold-knife, cottonball/metalmatch, bloodstopper, BD Spot headlamp, Clif Builder Bar. Outer Pocket - wallet/keys.  Outside front, used/wet flies to dry, nippers.

Mtn Biking: Inner Pocket - Surefire (placed opposite of draw side), .40S&W.  Middle Pocket -  spyderco fold-knife, cottonball/metalmatch, bloodstopper, BD Spot headlamp, wallet/keys, cellphone, Clif Builder Bar, Shot Bloks.  Extra layering goes in jersey pocket or camelback MULE.  I will be playing around with more options since this will be the most used application. 

Bowhunting (to be tested during late deer WA): Inner Pocket - Surefire (placed opposite of draw side), .40S&W.  Middle Pocket -  license/tag, spyderco fold-knife, cottonball/metalmatch, bloodstopper, BD Spot headlamp, etrxa diaphram calls, , Garmin Etrex Legend, two dummy cords (left side attachment) 1) hoochie mama, hyper estrus open reed  2) Rangefinder .  Outer Pocket - Cliff Builder Bar and Shot Bloks.

Does anyone have a solution for when we get drenching rain this winter aside from the contents going into a ZipLock baggie?  I've always done this in my pack, ziplocks and black garbage bags for inside the main pack compartment.  I will probably spray mine with REI's waterproofer as well.

jdub

New Post
11/8/2010 3:00 PM

Does anyone have a solution for when we get drenching rain this winter aside from the contents going into a ZipLock baggie?  I've always done this in my pack, ziplocks and black garbage bags for inside the main pack compartment.  I will probably spray mine with REI's waterproofer as well.

Thanks for the report jdub. As to your question? First and obvious answer is to move somewhere where winter isn't characterized by 9 months of rain and drizzle punctuated by wet snow. Just saying.

Beyond that, I'm eager for someone to "silnylonize" their kit bag (or any bag for that matter) and report back. I haven't done it myself, but I hatched the idea when I was riding through several hours of rain on my motorcycle with a cordura duffle bag behind me. What I mean is to dilute silicone with mineral spirits until you get a nice even mixture about the consistency of honey, and then paint the entire exterior of the kit bag with it. This isn't feasible on a production basis (same reason no silnylon tents come seam sealed from the factory), but it is an easy project for an individual who needs the extra waterproofing to do to their own gear. The bag won't look as fashionable, but it ought to be pretty darned waterproof. You might be able to split the difference and do all of the interior surfaces with this treatment.

New Post
11/11/2010 10:35 PM

I did this with a brit bergen to waterproof it after the pack was dyed black. While the dyeing process did not degrade the cordura itself I was  a bit worried about the stitching. It was pretty water resistant after the sil treatement but did not last long and the pack was a mess

and a dirt magnet....  Might have been poor "silonizing" skill or rather lack of time to experiment on a swatch prior to application. 

New Post
11/16/2010 12:01 PM

deleted

New Post
11/16/2010 12:04 PM

j-dub wrote

jdub

For a spay-on treatment, I've had OK success with Scotchguard.  I tried Camp Dry once however,  and it sucks.  But IMO the best solution is to keep your Kit Bag under your outer layer if that's at all possible.  Sounds kinda like a cop-out, but it makes the most sense to me.

Something for the Hills Brothers to consider would be a acessory cover for the Kit Bag.  Just a basic silnylon envelope that seals around the edges with velcro and can be either accessed gently, or torn out of the way.  Approach #2 would be a simple silnylon "bib" that's attached just to the rear of the bag (safety pins would work)  and hangs over the front of the Kit Bag, and anchors in the front by a couple velcro taps at the corners.  Nothing fancy, just KISS engineering.

New Post
12/22/2010 12:41 PM

Okay, I finally had cause to take everything out and take stock of contents. A long day of drizzling rain can do that to a guy. I need to find out what kind of beer to buy Bushcraft so he'll make me a cover. Evan and I had some discussion about contents a while back and I had a "Doh" moment about breaking up my survival gear into components rather than in the sil-nylon sack they've been riding in for years. With the kit bag, there is no need to have them compartmentalized as the whole bag will be used regardless of pack. My first aid kit is very minimal: pepto caplets, ibuprofen, tweezers, a little packet of anti-biotic ointment and a few bandaids and gauze type stuff.

A compass rides in a pouch on my belt, my GPS is generally in a Kifaru pouch on my shoulder strap and my SAK Farmer, a lighter and my maps ride in my pockets. So here's what's left for the bag:

Gun Slot : Glock 19 or S&W 60 3”

Main Pouch (stuff I need throughout the day):

• ·         Extra Mag(s) or Speedloaders depending on gun
  • ·         Surefire G2
  • ·         Princeton Tec Eos Headlamp
  • ·         Camera
  • ·         Rangefinder (as necessary)
  • ·         Rite in Rain notepad with skinny Space Pen
  • ·         550 Cord
  • ·         Becker Necker (other than hunting season when I have BRKT Forager in my pack)

Front Pocket (stuff I don’t need/want to access often):

• ·         Extra batteries for camera/flashlights/GPS
  • ·         Heat Sheet Blanket
  • ·         Small FAK
  • ·         Fire starting kit
  • ·         Gerber milk bags (emergency water carriers)
  • ·         Lighter wrapped with Gorrilla Braid fishing line
  • ·         Folded up mini loaf pan for emergency cooking
  • ·         Katadyn Micro-Pur
  • ·         ACR Whistle
  • ·         Nitrile Gloves
  • ·         Small Pack of Duct Tape
  • ·         Rescue Flash Signal Mirror
  • ·         A couple of split rings and safety pins for repair jobs
  • ·         Car keys
  • ·         ID/CCW License/Tags/Credit Card/Couple of tens all held in typical license holder
  • ·         Cell Phone

New Post
12/29/2010 4:49 PM

A Capital One card?  :)  Kidding...

evanhill wrote

First and obvious answer is to move somewhere where winter isn't characterized by 9 months of rain and drizzle punctuated by wet snow. Just saying.

No kidding - who's that jdub guy anyway?

Okay, seriously, so far, I've mainly used the kit bag for running in the neighborhood, so it's only lugging a G19 wearing a TLR-2, an extra magazine, wallet, keys, phone, and hat/gloves/whatever as I layer for temperature.  For running, the Kit Bag was bouncing too much for my taste, so I've made some modifications, and now I LOVE it for running.  Absolutely no bounce when I run - holds tight to my chest even when I'm doing plyometrics.  When I get a few minutes to breath over the next week or two, I'll post photos of what I did.

We're off tomorrow for a 4 day alpine tour, so I'm looking forward to trying the kit bag out on that.  I'd express my regret for no having one of Bushcraft's rain covers, but the most moisture it will see this weekend are flakes that will either blow away in the wind or be easily brushed off.  I guess that's what a forecasted high of 10 degrees will do for a guy.  :)

New Post
3/13/2011 10:48 PM

Here's a follow up to some of the stuff that I talked about in my previous post that I was thinking of changing. First, I'll start with a picture:

• Found a compass I'm pretty pleased with. Suunto something or other. ~$10. It actually has a rotating bezel so you can take a rudimentary bearing, which is something no other compass of that size has that I've found.
  • Picked up a pair of my favorite kind of earplugs on a lanyard at the Post Falls Cabelas
  • The knife. After my brief dalliance with plastic 9mms, I'm back to a 1911 which means I'm carrying a spare mag again. I had to drop weight somehow and came up with a pretty good solution. This knife used to be a full size D2 nimravus. At first I said to myself that I woudn't really get any use out of it if it didn't have a finger choil, what with the blade shape. I figured I might as well see if I could cut one with the bench grinder. An hour and a half later I came out of the garage with a vastly different blade than I had when I started -- one much more to my liking. Changed the shape and orientation of the handle, added jimping all along the spine, and yes, added a finger choil. It weighs a handful of ounces less than the blade I did have, is a little thinner, but with a longer handle. It works very well for batoning and finer tasks as well. Finishing out the handle with cord wrap gave me a nice thin package overall for carrying in the front pocket of my Kit Bag.
  • Replaced the space blanket with a contractors garbage bag. Maybe not quite as heat efficient, but way more versatile than a space blanket. About the same size and weight though.
  • Don't know if I mentioned it earlier, but I am carrying the 3oz fiskars / gerber 6" wood saw. Between that saw and the knife, I can do a fair amount of bushcrafting as necessary.
  • The results of the wilderness first aid class I took? I did beef up my first aid kit some with some particularly good supplies from WMI, but the only thing that got added to my Kit Bag was a card I made up with a SOAP reporting form on one side, and all of the Patient Assessment System procedures on the other.

No, HPG isn't looking to get into the kydex business. I can heartily recommend it as something worth doing if you have the time though. Knife sheaths like the one above are *really* easy. Gun holsters aren't too out of line in difficulty.

New Post
2/20/2012 10:41 AM

Typical Load Out for my Kitbag:

1.Multitool
1.Babby Bic
1.Small Monocular
1. small bottle of Hand Sanitizer
1.Fox Whistle
1.SAK credit card
1.Comb
1. Spare Handgun Magazine
1.Headlamp
4. Spare Batteries
1. Map of area I intend to be.
1. Small fixed blade knife
1. Handgun.
Optional items might include:
1. Lightweight pair gloves
1. Lightweight Toque 
1. Dog ( Cooper, don't think he'll fit, but he would like to try)
1. Camera with Stick Pic

These are all items that in the past, I would have to stop and take of my pack to get to. I love the convenience of them being right under my nose.
(with an exception of the dog  )

New Post
2/23/2012 7:52 PM

Gen II Glock 19

Compass

Bandanna

Light My Fire

3 Contractor Bags

25 Feet of Parachute Cord

100 Feet of Bank Line & Sail Needle

Surefire Back Up

Petzl Tactikka Plus head lamp

Leaterman Super Tool

Hydroflask

New Post
5/30/2012 11:32 PM

Evan:

I have been using the Kit Bag I recently purchased from you a lot of late.  It is simply one of the best pieces of gear I own.  I find I use it constantly when I'm outdoors.  Great gear and great service.

What's in mine: 

1.  Front Pocket:  Lexan Spork, 25 feet of 550 cord, and my ID/wallet.

2.  Middle Compartment:  Surefire E2, Pencil style knife sharpener, Bic lighter, Ferro rod, striker, REI pill safe with cotton soaked in petroleum jelly, blackberry, and a spare Glock 17 or 21 magazine.

3.  Weapon compartment:  Glock 17 or 21.  I'm still working on a kydex trigger sheath.

I typically carry a blade somewhere on my person.  Some times the loadout changes due to trip necessities.  I found that the thinner I could make the items the better they carry.

Thanks for a great product!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWhat's In Your Kit Bag?What's In Your Kit Bag?