Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGAston House PackAston House Pack
Previous

Next
New Post
4/7/2015 8:49 AM

Clean design...

I currently run a Kifaru Omni-Yoke with your PALS Pocket and Attache mounted to the face.  For me, it works great for my needs and closely resembles the Aston.  If that kit didn't exist in my house, I would be looking further into this pack.  Enjoying how you guys use First Spear's platform. 

Very interested on the Aston Pocket.  Will it be available as a separate accessory?  Depth/demensions?  The Hypalon is attached as tabs or does it make up the whole back of the pocket?   My concern is that when the pack is not full, the pocket will not be able to compress all the way into the pack.  It looks like a good 2"-3" of buckle and hypalon will always be in the way.  I guess you could remove the whole pocket at that point hence, my reason for asking about the back of the pocket being fully hypalon.  Hypalon makes things a little less easy to stuff away.

New Post
4/7/2015 4:52 PM

You guys think the kifaru bikini belt would fit on the House?

New Post
4/8/2015 8:55 AM

Floranama - I'll see if I can answer what I think you're asking - we do intend to make it separately available at some point. The Hypalon is sewn in to the side seams of the pocket. Front and back are 500d. Depth is just enough to get a zipper in. Perhaps 1". But of course you can stuff a 1" pocket with a lot more. The day may come, but so far I've stayed completely away from designing packs that don't fully compress. The Aston House is no different.

IXOYE - I don't know anything about the bikini belt. We are working on a simpler lower cost lower profile version of the Prairie Belt which will be a good choice for packs like the Umlindi and Aston House.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/8/2015 1:10 PM

That's very exciting about the lower profile belt!

New Post
4/24/2015 5:53 PM

Quick question, and I apologize if this was asked elsewhere, but will the Aston House hook onto a Ute?

New Post
4/25/2015 1:46 AM

Nesplin, the Ute and Aston are entirely different packs. Attaching the Aston to a Ute would be an interesting setup to say the least. That's not to say the two couldn't be paired but it would put a ton of volume and weight way far back from your center of gravity.

Unless of course you're asking about the Aston POCKET and not the whole pack. If that's the case then yes the POCKET should fit well onto a Ute. My understanding is it's slightly less volume than a Tara Pocket but with more external organization/ attachment points.

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
4/25/2015 6:16 AM

Thank you for your comment. I was thinking the whole pack. I have to do some traveling this summer, mostly by plane, bus, and cabs. I'll have to live out of the pack, and may need to camp for a week pit of it as well. I'm traveling for research, so the organization of the Aston House seems awesome for a carry on and day pack out and about. The idea is use the Ute as the bulk carry checked bag and have the option to attach the Aston House in case i have to carry it all, probably after repacking to move the heavy stuff into the Ute. I won't ever have to carry all of it for more than a few miles.

Anyway, the Aston House should be here in a few days and I'll try it out and see how it works.

New Post
4/26/2015 2:00 PM

If that's the case you probably could get away with a setup like that. I'm also wondering if you could attach the AH to your front side, possibly something like the lifter straps for a KB come to mind. While traveling through Germany and Poland a few years ago I ran a similar setup, big pack on the back then day pack up front. It's a little awkward but it works. It could also save you a lot of time unpacking and re-packing every time you're transitioning.

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
4/26/2015 2:57 PM

Awesome idea, thank you! I should have the Aston House in a few days and will have a few weeks to mess around with it before I leave. I will put up a post once I figure things out.

New Post
5/1/2015 1:50 PM

I am not sure how to post pictures here, but the Aston House does attach nicely to a Ute. If I had to carry it that way for much of a distance I would make sure to redistribute heavy stuff into the Ute, but they do fit together fine, and the compression capability is well maintained.

Edited to add pics.

[URL=http://s296.photobucket.com/user/nesplin/media/IMG_2206_zps21cnejag.jpg.html]
[/URL]

[URL=http://s296.photobucket.com/user/nesplin/media/IMG_2207_zps1ob9xvj6.jpg.html]
[/URL]

New Post
5/1/2015 4:45 PM

scothill wrote:
tate wrote:
I saw the photo on the Facebook page with the business trip load out and this pack looks like it is going to fit perfect into my needs for a hiking day pack, one nighter and my everyday carry of my business tools.
I was wondering what laptop sleeve you were using to hang inside the compartment closest to your back? Very excited to get my hands on one of these.

It is just a temporary one. I went to Best Buy found on that fit my laptop, with the zipper on the end.  Evan modded it with a hang tag. Stayed tuned so to speak.

TAK , sales will keep items in the line. Sales of other items won't.

I have "stayed tune" for a bit since the release. Scot, are you guys working on some sort of laptop case that would hang from the Aston House compartment nearest your back? 

New Post
5/1/2015 5:45 PM

I am sure that the Hill Boys will come up with something awesome, but in the mean time you can make one from a cheap amazon case.

[URL=http://s296.photobucket.com/user/nesplin/media/IMG_2209_zpsahcimb4w.jpg.html]
[/URL]

[URL=http://s296.photobucket.com/user/nesplin/media/IMG_2210_zpsrtd1pszq.jpg.html]
[/URL]

New Post
7/7/2015 8:56 AM

It's been awhile since the release of this pack.  Was wondering if anyone has been using it and their thoughts.  Haven't heard much outside of alpendrms' review....

New Post
7/7/2015 9:28 AM

I've been using mine as an every day carry pack....still loving it.  Very organized.  I have been running it with an Aston Insert kitted with a survival kit, IFAK, silnylon tarp, mosquito net, and light rain jacket in the main (closest to back) compartment.

Plenty of room for other various daily-carry items in the other compartments and Aston Pocket.

Hope others weigh in soon for other perspectives and thoughts!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/7/2015 9:49 AM

I am of course biased, so I will post (with permission) part of an email I was sent with a first impressions review:

"Aston House first use: I didn’t take time to make any adjustments to the pack. I took the stay out and compared it to my lumbar curve and made a slight adjustment to it but that was all. I followed the same principles for stay adjustment of the Ute that you showed me at the SAC last year. I loaded the main “heavy stuff” compartment only. I unzipped the top zipper and stuffed a goretex parka in the bottom to take up some space. On top of this I piled boxes of ammo in until I was around 30 pounds and filled the compartment. I didn’t place anything in the intermediate pocket or in the drop pocket on the outside. I did put an extra bottle of water in the aston pocket. I will look at arranging gear and how much of what I can fit in it this upcoming weekend. This test was just to see how it carried with some weight to start work ups for the SAC again.

I walked the dirt roads by my house which is mostly flat with a few hundred ft elevation changes. At 26 minutes into the walk (a little over a mile) I stated to feel strain in my traps and between upper shoulder blades. Being that I didn’t adjust the pack at all, this told me that I needed to raise the yoke a bit to allow more weight on my hips. I pulled the pack down at 26 minutes and adjusted the yoke about 2” higher. Threw it back on and proceeded another hour with no issues for a total of 4 miles. After the adjustment the prarie belt to hip location felt much better. The pack sits very close and transfers the weight to the prarie belt surprisingly well with one stay. 30 pounds felt fairly light with the prarie belt, I think doing 40-50 is easily doable. Maybe even more weight but I’m guessing with the single stay that it won’t handle weights above 50 as good as the Ute will. I won’t count it out since the Ute carries heavier weight than it should. I think without the prarire belt I’d keep the weight below 30# but this isn’t any different than I’d do with any other pack without a cummerbund system.

I think without the prarie belt the pack matches up to my back contour better, has more grip in my lumbar, and has a more comfortable yoke assembly than the arcteryx khard. This is just a comparison to a similar organization intensive designed pack.

Since I haven’t gotten to play with organizing gear and seeing what all it will fit, I will have to write more later, but here is my first impressions just looking at it. The “heavy stuff” compartment is going to be perfect for a rifle! I did put my bolt gun in it and threw it on just to see how straight it would stay within the compartment but haven’t walked with it yet. The organization of the middle compartment is very nice with molle / Velcro. Based on looking at the aston pocket / compression panel I think it would be easy to increase the volume of the pack for light stuff by compressing a stuff sack between the pack and the panel. Being able to hang inserts or pockets from either of the two pockets gives you more options with no loss of space, I like that. Makes hanging a bladder easier. Nothing worse than a sagging water bladder than starts shifting the load of everything else in with it. At first glance volume does seem a little on the small side but like you guys said this is designed for organization heavy operations not necessarily tons of gear and or long term. I think I will be able to get more in it than first meets the eye anyway. It’s more specialized and that is A OK because it has some great features with few compromises.

I can’t wait to get gear in it, I’m sure I will be surprised at how much it will actually hold when everything is organized properly. Proper organization seems to save space anyway. So far it’s carried great and meets what I would come to expect from a pack on my back with HPG on the label. I will write more as I work with it more. Please feel free to use this in forums or wherever."

At this point, I have heard from him via phone for a quick follow-up (we were talking about other stuff), and he is up to 45lbs of stuff, which to him doesn't feel any heavier than 35lbs and is planning on using it for the SAC, which is saying something. More detail than that I don't have.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
7/9/2015 12:45 PM

I have been using mine for work/school stuff as well as travel for a while now. It took me a lot of getting used to, but I can't imagine being without it now. I had been using either a brief case (saddleback leather classic) or a more typical backpack for years, and the organization of the Aston House was almost a shock at first. I had to rethink a few things, mainly to accommodate the fact that it consists of what amount to taller, thinner spaces instead of a usual "big bucket" approach. I took it on a few week research trip to Peru, during which time I was constantly impressed with how well I could put that space to use if I planned a bit. I was the team medic as well as doing my own research, and the pack had to fill a lot of roles in a lot of different environments. It is an awesome carry-on pack, and I like how it works for day trips and hiking too, and I can't imagine a pack that does as many things as mine has, or rather can be made to do as many things as mine has, as well as this one.

To try and summarize, everybody will need to sort out how to carry what they need to carry, but the Aston House works really well for me. From laptop and books going to school, to laptop, books, along with sustainment stuff and bundles of skeletal remains on a long steep hike, it has worked very well for me. I would just warn folks that it took me a little while to get it set up in a way that is logical to me, and that it took time to get used to working with spaces that are so different to those I had worked with before.

New Post
3/3/2016 7:44 PM

Sorry for all the ETA questions, BUT any ETA on just the Aston Pocket? Thanks

New Post
3/15/2016 3:41 PM

Anything :)

New Post
3/15/2016 3:59 PM

I think the end is in sight, as in the by the middle or early April, but Evan or Brooke would know for sure, and we are working on getting ready for the Skills Class and then gone so it might be a bit before I can get back to you.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/14/2016 8:58 PM

Hey, a few quick questions that I didn't see answered on the page or in this forum.

1) What is the load rating for the pack. Though I don't ever really want to carry more than 30 lbs it's good to know If I need to pack something out. Like a tuckered out kid (I did this with my mountainsmith bugaboo one day on a long hike. Strapped her to it and with some trekking poles make the hike).

2) Can a stuff sack with lighter weight or bulky items (tent, sleeping bags, etc) be used between the two pockets and the Ashton pocket?

Thanks

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGAston House PackAston House Pack